ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-08-11, 03:12 PM
Jr Member

abilified is on a distinguished road
Forgot to hand in reference page with my university essay.

Because of this, I am screwed. I suffer from severe ADHD and anxiety issues, as well as bipolar disorder, and I currently seeing 2 psychiatrists for this and trying to get my medication figured out. My teacher was handing back essays and all the peoples whos names she did not call, she sent there papers do the dean because she suspected plagiarism. Yeah so my name was one of the ones that did not get called and literally I am freaking out. I have exams all this week, I am off basically all my medication and then this happens to me. Honestly I had absolutly no intent to plagiarize my essay, I reviewed it very carefully and cited my sources in the right manner. I am so distressed right now I cant go anywhere without crying. The consequences at university are so severe for plagiarism and know I feel that my future is over and am questionning why I should even bother to keep trying if I have lived through 19 years of constant error and forgetfullness and embarassment. I feel as if the only way I would of plagiarized would have been forgetting to include the sources cited page with my essay. If being so, I am fine with her failing me in the course or assignment i just dont want this on my academic record, I have struggled in school for my entire life, and after being able to earn a scholarship for university I finally felt successful for once. This plagiarism thing will destroy me if its the case. I did NOT copy others ideas, I dont know why this is happening. Is there anyway to justifiy thing if I end up accidentally plagiarising, because my psychiatrists understand what I am going through and that its severe. I have attempted suicide and been hospitalized for my issues, and university is all that I have, and I dont want it ruined...
Old 04-08-11, 04:02 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,614 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Forgot to hand in reference page with my university essay.

wooah, hey. you just wrote a good paper. You have a lot to give so don't feel like you're future is over. Worrying in this situation is probably a good thing. It will motivate you to do what you need to do and you'll get through this. The key here is that you didn't plagiarize. Good for you. Its never as bad as it seems, you did the right thing so talk to your professors.

Most importantly. Call anyone you should call right now that will help you not do anything to yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to tired1823 For This Useful Post:
Offle (04-08-11)
Old 04-08-11, 04:38 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,243 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all

First of all calm down. Take a deep slow breath and chill out. Secondly, email your professor to schedule a conference or meeting so you can explain what happened and show them the reference page. Ask your psychiatrists about the situation and see what they think you should do too. That will help.

Also, I agree with Alliee, call someone to help you. It can be a friend, family member, a hot line, just have someone there to make sure your safe.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent Van Gogh
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-11, 06:57 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a minute here. Does your school know about your ADD? I'm not sure about Canadian laws, but this is something that SHOULD be able to be worked out. I understand how important it is to a university to make sure students do not plagiarize. I understand your worry.

Did your professor ask you where your reference page was? It seems on the impulsive side of the professor if they didn't ask you first. I had a professor who basically accused me of cheating on an exam. He ended up apologizing to me, because he did not understand what had happened. He made a quick judgment call probably to cover his a**. This may have been what our prof did .

I think you need to get in touch with your professor as soon as possible. I think you need to tell them in the most calm of manners that you forgot to attach the works cited page.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Good luck to you.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 04-08-11, 07:17 PM
Contributor

insight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to behold

Absolutely. E-mail the works cited ASAP! Include in the e-mail a request to have a conference with the professor. It is possible that you will not get full credit for the essay, since you forgot to include an important component and the due date has past. However forgetting to include works cited and plagarism are two different issues. Is your university aware of your ADHD/emotionl problems? If not, I would contact the student disability office immediately. And if you are already registered with them, let them know what happened and seek their assistance. Good luck. Hang in there. This will work out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to insight needed For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (04-08-11), tired1823 (04-08-11)
Old 04-08-11, 10:13 PM
Jr Member

abilified is on a distinguished road

thank you for the support, thankfully my parents are very understanding and are trying to do everything in their situation to help. I am very thankful for this. I did email my teacher about this concern and hope that she will have the integrity to reply. She is holding office hours on tuesday and will refuse to see anyone until then. She is the coldest ***** I have ever come across, but I will still be polite and reasonable in communicating with her because thats the only way anything will be resolved. The problem is that I am very anxious talking to her and might either freeze up or have a panic attack or cry while doing so. The last time I talked to her I was in tears because she refused to reschedual my exam when I had to attend my friends funeral... even though I am registered with Access Service, which accomodates students with disabilities and other problems. With them I have a registered medical certificate with my diagnosis of ADHD, anxiety and panic disorder on it by a psychiatrist. Hopefully that will help.
The Following User Says Thank You to abilified For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (04-09-11)
Old 04-11-11, 03:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

ILADHD will become famous soon enough

Universities wouldn't have to worry about plagiarism if they'd stop having students do busy work like writing papers.

If I want to write papers, I will take an English class. Everyone for the most part hates writing papers and it's 10 times worse for ADHD'ers because most of us are agraphic.
I reached the wrong ends, by the wrong means

https://youtu.be/XGRCvIhqWpg
Old 04-11-11, 06:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kasechka is a jewel in the roughKasechka is a jewel in the roughKasechka is a jewel in the rough

you made an honest mistake--you forgot to include the sheet. On tuesday, go in to see her with the sheet in hand and let her know. Apologize, briefly. Be cool--deep breathing, imagining her sitting on the toilet, whatever it takes. Anyone can make a mistake; she is human too.

signed,
former college professor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasechka For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (04-14-11)