ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-29-14, 07:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,806 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On fakin' it (ADD, not orgasms)

Holy shyt!!! That's right!! Beatles would normally be spelled beetles!! And holy-shyt!! Spell check just accepted both of them.

Kabooom!!! <--- That was my mind. Completely blown!!

And come to think of it, you're response, not as a joke, makes perfect sense. I mean remembering to forget something every day sounds exhausting. I don't think I'm capable of that kind of consistency.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (05-30-14)
Old 05-29-14, 08:35 AM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

"Well, it'd be really hard to sustain it, over the long haul. You'd forget to do it sometimes."- I'm gonna sound stupid, but I'm still not getting it. Is there something wrong about this statement?
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 09:01 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,204 Times in 9,399 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people think it's easy to pretend to be ADHD (or other mental illnesses). It depends more on the doctor or other clinician than anything else.

There was a study that found people could walk into a psychiatric hospital, get diagnosed with schizophrenia, and hospitalized and medicated for it. And I think faking schizophrenia would be harder than ADHD but I am not sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
someothertime (05-30-14), Stevuke79 (05-29-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-14, 09:03 AM

Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Corina, it's not you,.. but the statement is perfect. I think MADD is making a fine and elusive point. (and I swear I'm being totally 100% serious)

Just one example: Imagine being engrossed in a conversation, and then still having the capacity to completely forget what you were talking about. When I think about it, when I'm medicated I don't think I could pull that one off. It's not something you could practically pretend to do without significant and constant focus - you'd have to be more of a type-A (ironically).

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (05-30-14)
Old 05-29-14, 09:05 AM

Oh, I think I could do schizophrenic.

Old 05-29-14, 10:30 AM

Thanked 26,973 Times in 12,580 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADD As A Hatte View Post
What? That the fourth one was a long haired hippy type?!! Oh, ****, I've done it again, haven't I? Someone, please, JUST SHOOT ME!!!
Poor George Harrison, no one ever remembers him.

At least, no one with ADHD.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
MADD As A Hatte (05-29-14), wyleops (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 02:29 PM

wyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
I think I could fake this too. ADHD seems a bit too nebulous to fake. I asked my wife if she thought she could fake being me and she didn't think my symptoms were predictable enough to really lock down. I guess someone could lie about having symptoms but what would be the purpose of that? Medication isn't cheap.

I'm much better at faking being normal.

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton Jr.

"Oh, now what's this, then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon." Doctor Who
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wyleops For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-29-14), MADD As A Hatte (05-29-14), Stevuke79 (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 06:23 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,204 Times in 9,399 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of regret bringing schizophrenia up, because I think it's maybe not quite that easy and I don't want to see stuff trivialized.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (05-30-14), MADD As A Hatte (05-29-14), peripatetic (05-29-14), Stevuke79 (05-30-14), wyleops (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 06:47 PM

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

the hyperactivity would be hardest i think

i tire people out after a few minutes of walking with me or something, i wouldn't be able to keep it up if it wasn't real
Corina86 (05-30-14), MADD As A Hatte (05-29-14)
Old 05-30-14, 04:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of my adhd, I dont think anyone could fake being me.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (05-30-14), Stevuke79 (05-30-14)
Old 05-30-14, 04:39 AM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
Depends on what kind of schizophrenia we're talking about.

My brother had a paranoid schizophrenic at work and he seemed the most normal rational person on the face of the Earth... besides the fact he was convinced the government was leaking gas into his bedroom to make him obedient and was spying on him with hidden mics and cameras. Other than that, he was ok. And he wasn't faking it, he had no reason to. He was trying to hide his beliefs out of fear the government will find out he's on to them, not because he would be considered crazy. He trusted my brother to believe him and help him, since he's an engineer and he knows computers and technical stuff... That I could fake, if I were a good liar.

I've seen a lady in the ER once who was screaming and yelling, claiming she had some health issues she didn't have and kept making them up as doctors were trying to convince her that she was (physically) healthy. Only a very very good actor would fake that. Plus, she was restrained, given injections - I wouldn't be able to take that no matter what I would gain from it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (05-30-14)
Old 05-30-14, 05:51 AM

Fortune, you're right. I was making a joke and I can't remember why it seemed funny at the time. I think it was supposed to be like my "blind people are faking" joke.

Anyway, while I think all things are fair game for a laugh, I should have been more careful and trivializing is not ok.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
Fortune (05-30-14), peripatetic (05-31-14), stef (05-30-14)
Old 05-30-14, 08:39 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,687 Times in 1,298 Posts
tazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that would be pretty much impossible to fake is the wall that rises up before you when you try to do the simplest task. When you stare at that wrapper of paper that has been sitting for days on your desk and just can't focus for the second needed to pick it up and put it in the trash. When you need to pick up the phone and just make one phone call and you know that if you don't do so your life will be so much harder; but your mind just can't focus on it for long enough to chain the actions needed to do so. That feeling that no matter how hard you try, the wall just grows taller and more intimidating. People can fake the symptoms but they can never really feel the frustration of just not being able to do the simplest task no matter how much you want it to be done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tazoz For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-30-14), MADD As A Hatte (05-30-14), Stevuke79 (05-30-14)
Old 05-31-14, 06:05 AM
Contributor

MADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant future
Cool Re: On fakin' it (ADD, not orgasms)

Here's the kicker.

I couldn't fake having an ADD parent. Thanks, Mumsy.

I couldn't fake an ADD grandmother. ******* hero, that woman. Lousy risk analysis, but however. She drowned, at age 32, off the north end of Seven Mile Beach, in a huge dumping surf, saving the lives of her two little children whom she had allowed to go swimming. Vale Maree.

I couldn't fake a clutch of ADD siblings. Too many funny stupid angry recalcitrant stories to recount. And it all continues in our adulthood.

I couldn't fake having two ADD offspring. QEEG-analysis and all! They didn't get it from their darling papa.

And one day, I imagine, I shan't be able to fake ADD grandchildren.

Sigh. Why don't they have a special imperial-purple-coloured icon for ADD relo's on ancestry.com?????

ADHD explained. UNC Burnett Lectures
Dr Russell Barkley - 2012
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...ssell-barkley/

Dr Patricia Quinn - 2011 - ADD in girls and women.
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...atricia-quinn/

MADD as a Hatter. Bull in a china shop. The angel who rushed in where fools feared to tread. That just about says it all.

Last edited by MADD As A Hatte; 05-31-14 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Details, details.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MADD As A Hatte For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-31-14), mrs. dobbs (06-01-14), Nicksgonefishin (05-31-14), someothertime (05-31-14)
Old 05-31-14, 08:50 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,450 Times in 2,993 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADD As A Hatte View Post
Sigh. Why don't they have a special imperial-purple-coloured icon for ADD relo's on ancestry.com?????

You know hatter, apart from being hilarious... that might actually yield some very telling causational patterns... pull all our relative purple peeps... tie in their vitals...

boombah... effect, cause match! tho' still running back to the house 10 times in the morn i'm afraid
~ SB_UK ~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
MADD As A Hatte (05-31-14), mrs. dobbs (06-01-14)