ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 06-11-13, 10:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

MusiciansWish has a spectacular aura aboutMusiciansWish has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Ritalin and its safety

Hello, all.

I was wondering, is Ritalin actually safe?

I have researched up and down about the safety of Ritalin and what it does to the body. I have found nothing but either biased sites or sites that were loaded with nothing but information concerning what happened to children. Sure there were some sites that helped, but the others have made me even more worried than before.

I am a healthy 22 year old female that's healthy. My blood pressure is outstanding...Even after taking all of my doses of Ritalin for the day ( 10 mg of Ritalin, three times a day) my heart remains at 66, while my blood pressure 116/66...on some days it gets as high as 121/77, with my pulse being at 72.....but it doesn't get any higher or lower than that. I make sure to take a good three hour walk every other day and I continuously eat healthy....

Buuuuut...with all of this research, I keep seeing stuff about people can die suddenly from taking Ritalin. Even if they are perfectly healthy, they can suddenly die. Is this even true?

I do find info how the only way to die from taking Ritalin is if you: 1.) Have serious heart abnormalities (either undetected...or detected) 2.) You overdose 3.) Or you take ritalin and do something extremely strenuous or 4.) you have high blood pressure.

I don't know if Anxiety is getting the best of me on this note, but i've read soooo many articles on Ritalin that I don't know what to believe because I really cannot find any kinds of supporting information. . .I am really trying to find something to place my mind at ease because all of this talk about how Ritalin = Death, Ritalin will create heart abnormalities and thus = Death, or You need to stop Ritalin now because you will die after awhile....All of this is making me overly aware of each and every pain and ache that goes on with my body.

Yet there are people who live a long healthy life while taking psychostimulants. I mean...I started taking psychostimulants since October last year. Why am I worried...Anyways, can anyone help me on this whole...Ritalin ordeal?
Old 06-12-13, 03:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin and its safety

Ritalin is one of the most researched drugs on the market as itīs so widely used on children.

I did read that this concern was largely unfounded. Sudden death is something that can and does happen in the general population and studies showed that the rates of sudden death were actually lower in patients taking Ritalin.

Take any drug and research it and you will find scare stories. Like the contraceptive pill, itīs links to breast cancer and deep vein thrombosis, both of which can be fatal.
Old 06-12-13, 11:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

MusiciansWish has a spectacular aura aboutMusiciansWish has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ritalin and its safety

Is that a fact? That's very very interesting. I didn't know that. I wish I could've found information like this sooner. Maybe it would've spared me the anxiety and panic attacks. Now I feel sooooo silly, to an extent.
Sponsored Links