ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-11, 08:27 PM

blackbuttoneyes is on a distinguished road
Newbie! Doctoral student with ADD inattentive. Question about writing.

Hello all!

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD inattentive. I am currently a graduate student, working on a PhD in history. I've always struggled with focus and organization, but it wasn't until after I finished my BA that it really started to interfere with my life. I was working admin jobs full time while working on a part time MA, and was constantly called out on failure to pay attention to detail and sloppy mistakes. I always chalked it up to exhaustion, stress, being overworked....

But it wasn't until I quit the job and went back to school full time and encountered the SAME problems that I thought there might be something else at work. In fact, every time I sat down to write a paper, and encountered the same struggles and blocks, I got more and more anxious about my performance, which made things even worse. I started to have such serious doubts about whether I belonged in grad school that I couldn't even approach papers without loads and loads of fear.

Last month, feeling pretty hopeless, I decided to visit a psychiatrist (I had been in the past for depression and anxiety, but had not been on meds for a year or so). I was put back on meds for depression two weeks ago, and next week (after adjusting to the Prozac), I will start on Adderall. I'm nervous, but also excited and hopeful that I might feel normal. I'm also back in therapy, and I think I'm on the right track.

I love writing, but the ADD has made it completely impossible for me to enjoy. I wonder if others experience the same problems. The essence of the problem, I think, is that when I sit down to write, all the ideas sort of clammer for attention and refuse to be organized. I cannot pick out individual thoughts or ideas, I cannot structure them into a well-organized system, and I cannot communicate what's in my mind effectively. It's so frustrating!

I really look forward to talking with you all and learning from you all!
The Following User Says Thank You to blackbuttoneyes For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (03-26-11)
Old 03-26-11, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud of
Re: Newbie! Doctoral student with ADD inattentive. Question about writing.

Yes, this is all too familiar to me.
I was recently diagnosed after suffering terribly with my BA degree due to writing issues.
All the words were there and needed to come out, but it was just a word salad rather than a neatly structured and organised piece of writing.
Mind mapping can be useful as a means of organising information prior to formally structuring it on paper. I found it better than an essay plan.

The value of a thing lies not in what one attains with it but it what it one pays for it, what it costs us- Nietzsche
Old 03-26-11, 10:17 PM

blackbuttoneyes is on a distinguished road

That's a very helpful suggestion, thank you! I will definitely look into mind-mapping. I confess I recently downloaded a mind-mapping 'app,' but haven't taken a good look at it yet. I will now!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-11, 03:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute