ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-17, 06:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,165 Times in 2,150 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Could I be autistic?

Another thread I started has made me start wondering if I'm autistic or not. Do you guys think I might be? Is there a good online checklist somewhere or something?

There is definitely a family history of it cause my dad and cousins symptoms are extremely obvious.

When I was in 5th and 6th grade, I remember my favorite shirt to have 2 Garfield cats on it with the title "be your own best friend". I didn't understand how pathetic that title sounded and wore that shirt all the time. In my defense, my sister loved that shirt too but she was in 2nd grade at the time and liked it more cause I liked it so much.

I owned a pencil sharpener for one week that was a bell when I was in 5th grade. I loved that pencil sharpener and would ring it in front of classmates. The pencil sharper got stolen quickly cause I kept it in my unlocked desk, unsupervised. I couldn't understand how people could be mean enough to intentionally want to do something like that.

I do not like big social gatherings. When I was in college, we would go out to get something to eat very late at night and I would just sit there with a spaced out look on my face not saying much. I told myself the reason was cause the gatherings were always late so I was always sleepy by then. Now I actively avoid parties and have a very hard time getting myself to go.

I tell myself to go to voluntary staff meetings all the time knowing I need to kiss ***. But I can't get myself to do so as I dread them and sometimes I forget about them altogether.

I get super excited about vacations and want to talk about them all the time.

I have a lot of interests though. The interests usually rotate in strength with something coming to the forefront for a while, then the interest wanes and I spend my time highly interested in a couple other interest, and maybe later (could be years later), I become really interested in it again.

I feel like I can read people's emotions on their faces.

I do smile when happy.

I have one friend now. I think it's more cause of me not being open and not going out to make friends more than it is because I lack social skills. I feel like I can do acceptable in social gathers when I do go to them if I push myself to try to talk at them.

I tried to read something to a coworker once in the cubicle office area. I couldn't for the life of me read it though I think cause of the background noises. There wasn't really that much noise but I was just sensitive to it. It rarely gets this bad though.

I'm naturally messy though I've learned to clean.

I think I'll ask my old psychiatrist too but in general, most people only diagnose me with reluctance. If I struggle to get them to give me an adhd diagnosis, I'd be astounded if I can get an autism one.
Old 02-28-17, 08:01 AM

Re: Could I be autistic?

Oh, and I learned to speak at a very young age. From my understanding I was more advanced than average in terms of speaking which is a sign against autism isnt it?
Old 02-28-17, 08:32 AM

Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,100 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Autism isn't always attributed with language delays. Nobody on here can tell you if you're autistic or not. A few quirks from 5th or 6th grade doesn't put us in any better position to give you an accurate answer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-28-17), Lunacie (03-02-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-17, 08:35 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,204 Times in 9,399 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Oh, and I learned to speak at a very young age. From my understanding I was more advanced than average in terms of speaking which is a sign against autism isnt it?
I'm autistic and I started speaking at 9 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Autism isn't always attributed with language delays. Nobody on here can tell you if you're autistic or not. A few quirks from 5th or 6th grade doesn't put us in any better position to give you an accurate answer.
If you guys can't get a decent guess ( not asking for a diagnosis or anything), is there a checklist online somewhere that's good?

I realize I'm extremely logical too. I don't know maybe I jist have tendencies cause if I am autistic, I would be a very mild case though the one checklist I found myself online, well I check most of the boxes.
Old 02-28-17, 01:30 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,806 Times in 14,081 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

acdc the only way to know for sure is if your doctor diagnoses you
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-01-17)
Old 02-28-17, 01:38 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you guys can't get a decent guess ( not asking for a diagnosis or anything), is there a checklist online somewhere that's good?

I realize I'm extremely logical too. I don't know maybe I jist have tendencies cause if I am autistic, I would be a very mild case though the one checklist I found myself online, well I check most of the boxes.
It's not that simple i'm afraid. It's like doing an online ADHD checklist. It can only hint at the possibility, but can never be taken officially.

You will need a referal to an experienced psychologist to really find out for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-01-17)
Old 02-28-17, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
It's not that simple i'm afraid. It's like doing an online ADHD checklist. It can only hint at the possibility, but can never be taken officially.

You will need a referal to an experienced psychologist to really find out for sure.
Would it not be a psychiatrist instead of psychologist or is it different with autism
Old 02-28-17, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Would it not be a psychiatrist instead of psychologist or is it different with autism
I believe I was diagnosed by a psychologist. But it may be different where you are, or things may have changed over the years.
Old 02-28-17, 02:34 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I have ADHD, and I'm pretty sure I'm not autistic - though I can't prove that.

I identify in general with most of what you wrote.

I sometimes think there must be variations of ADHD that on the surface seem more autism-like, but that when you dig deeper turn out not to be.

Other times, I think my blazingly-obvious ADHD has come with a few features of autism, but not the most famous ones. Like "ADHD-PI Plus Aspie-Lite".

Who knows?
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-01-17), Lisa_Mac (09-20-17)
Old 02-28-17, 03:18 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

... or maybe many cases of ADHD-PI really are Aspie-Lite, and experts haven't figured that out. I doubt that, but I'm no expert.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 02-28-17, 04:32 PM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Google the aspie quiz. That would certainly give you some information as to how closely you might approach to being autistic.

If you go to Wrong Planet, there's a sticky thread in the general forum that is filled with autism-related quizzes.

Obv. you can't base an official diagnosis on taking these things, but they can help point you in the right direction.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-01-17), aeon (02-28-17), BellaVita (03-02-17), dvdnvwls (02-28-17)
Old 03-01-17, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the quiz fortune. I'll give is try after I get my new charger for my laptop. Sucks it just broke and the quiz doesn't seem to work on my cell phone.

Dvd, thanks for the info on yourself.
Old 03-01-17, 11:48 PM

IHNWCC is on a distinguished road

Hi! I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you can't really diagnose yourself with a checklist or quiz. I really do wish it were that easy. I have went with several family members through all their long testing to be diagnosed with autism, and it is complex testing. Based on my experience, people with autism generally do not even realize that they view the world differently than others. Therefore, it would be really hard for someone to do a quiz or checklist on themselves. I suppose you could have someone close to you do a checklist on you from their perception of you. I really would encourage you to talk to a psychologist if you are truly concerned. You would need a psychologist to diagnose you anyways. (At least where I'm from, a psychiatrist only deals with prescribing meds and seeing overall care. The psychologist actually does the diagnosing and actual therapy with you.) Hope this helps you!
The Following User Says Thank You to IHNWCC For This Useful Post:
Tetrahedra (04-10-17)
Old 03-02-17, 03:55 PM
I eat shades of red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHNWCC View Post
Hi! I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you can't really diagnose yourself with a checklist or quiz. I really do wish it were that easy. I have went with several family members through all their long testing to be diagnosed with autism, and it is complex testing. Based on my experience, people with autism generally do not even realize that they view the world differently than others. Therefore, it would be really hard for someone to do a quiz or checklist on themselves. I suppose you could have someone close to you do a checklist on you from their perception of you. I really would encourage you to talk to a psychologist if you are truly concerned. You would need a psychologist to diagnose you anyways. (At least where I'm from, a psychiatrist only deals with prescribing meds and seeing overall care. The psychologist actually does the diagnosing and actual therapy with you.) Hope this helps you!
People can find out from checklists and "quizzes" whether they might be autistic or not.

This advice really isn't helpful for someone trying to explore the possibility that she is autistic. For one thing, when you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism. Which means that your experiences may not be universal. People who grow to adulthood with conditions like autism may very well realize things that you don't think autistic people can realize. Heck, people who are teenagers can realize it. And sometimes children.

To put this in some kind of context, before my official professional dx with autism spectrum disorder, I had used the quizzes and checklists to determine that I was probably autistic. I also talked to other autistic people to see what we might have in common and where we might differ. Overall, it was a very helpful process to me and I would never advise someone to not do it simply because of the (wrong) idea that diagnosis is sacrosanct.

Last edited by Fortune; 03-02-17 at 04:49 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-02-17), Lunacie (03-02-17)