ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's Your Enneagram Type?
Type 1 3 3.45%
Type 2 6 6.90%
Type 3 7 8.05%
Type 4 13 14.94%
Type 5 10 11.49%
Type 6 15 17.24%
Type 7 20 22.99%
Type 8 3 3.45%
Type 9 10 11.49%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-11, 11:33 PM
Forum ADDvocate

nova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to behold
What's Your Enneagram Type?

Here's one test, and below is some background info: http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test-2.php Please take this test for this poll, so we're comparing apples to apples.

INFO to understand the Enneagram (skip to TLDR if not interested):

I'm not sure how many here are familiar with the Enneagram, but it's essentially a personality typing system, somewhat similar to Myers-Briggs, but significantly different. Rather than seeking to describe overt intentions, attitudes, and behaviors, the Enneagram aims to explain one's underlying motivations.

For example, type four is concerned with individuality. From http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typefour.asp:

"Fours are self-aware, sensitive, and reserved. They are emotionally honest, creative, and personal, but can also be moody and self-conscious. Withholding themselves from others due to feeling vulnerable and defective, they can also feel disdainful and exempt from ordinary ways of living. They typically have problems with melancholy, self-indulgence, and self-pity. At their Best: inspired and highly creative, they are able to renew themselves and transform their experiences."

There are also "wings" that generally accompany each "core" type, so that if you're a 4, for example, you'll also have a wing of either 3 or 5, which sort of serves to modify the expression of your core type--much like the modifiers "Red Delicious" or "Granny Smith" applied to the "apple." An apple is fundamentally an apple and conjures a general mental image, but the particular type specifies what the apple looks and tastes like, and what its uses are. Each type also has a variant--self-preservation, social, or sexual (instinctual). Self-preservation is concerned with, well, self-preservation as a means for survival--their own health, independence, security, etc. Sexual variants are interested in one-on-one relationships and intimacy as a means of self-preservation; they are often the most passionate and fiery of the variants. Finally, social variants are more status-conscious and focused on how they fit in with social groups, their communities, the corporate ladder, etc.

So, for instance, a 4 with a 3 wing, or 4w3 in shorthand, is often described as follows:

"Fours with a 3 wing can sometimes seem like Sevens. May be outgoing, have a sense of humor and style. Prize being both creative and effective in the world. Both intuitive and ambitious; may have good imaginations, often talented. Some are colorful, fancy dressers, make a distinct impression. Self-knowledge combines well with social and organizational skills. When more entranced, often have a public/private split. Could conceal feelings in public then go home to loneliness. Or they could enjoy their work and be dissatisfied in love. Tendency towards melodrama and flamboyance; true feelings can often be hidden. Competitive, sneaky, aware of how they look. Some have bad taste. May be fickle in love, drawn to romantic images that they have projected onto others. Could have a dull spouse, then fantasize about glamorous strangers. Achievements can be tainted by jealousy, revenge, or a desire to prove the crowd wrong."

A Seven, in turn, is:

"Sevens are extroverted [my comment: not always], optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming over- extended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness. At their Best: they focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative, joyous, and satisfied."

You can see good descriptions for all types, wings, and variants here: http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/

TLDR:

My results are:

"You are most likely a type 3 (the Achiever) with 4 wing

Sexual variant

In order from most to least:
Type 3 SX
Type 4 SX
Type 7 SO
Type 2 SP
Type 6 SX
Type 8 SX
Type 1 SO
Type 9 SX
Type 5 SX"

3 in general:

"Threes need to be validated in order to feel worthy; they pursue success and want to be admired. They are frequently hard working, competetive and are highly focused in the pursuit of their goals, whether their goal is to be the most successful salesman in the company or the "sexiest" woman in their social circle."

3w4:

"May be slightly less image-conscious or project an image that is more implicit and subtle. 4 wing brings a degree of introversion. May measure themselves more by their creations, artistic or social. Tend to compete with themselves first more than with other people. High side brings the motivation and ability to work on oneself. May accomplish everything they set out to do materially, then embark on a path of self-analysis. Artistic explorations or teaching possible. Will still like a challenge, but thoughtful, intuitive or humanistic concerns of prime interest. The low side of this wing can bring a haunted, self-tormented quality or a haughty, competitive pretentiousness. Might be snobs or accuse critics of being too plebian to appreciate them. Cool, hard shell. In private, can lapse into Fourish self-questioning and melodrama. Instability and moodiness can be factors. Unrealistic grandiosity."

In reality, from my reading, I think I'm more of a 6w7, but I tend to test all over the place depending on my mood--2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 are all common for me. The 3 definitely fits me, but it's also the point of disintegration for an unhealthy 6.

So, what's your type? I'm only able to post 10 poll options, for some reason, so feel free to post your wing separately. And feel free to post your Myers-Briggs type, too. I'm an ENFP--not common for 3s, which is why I don't think I actually am a 3.
Old 02-06-11, 11:44 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Re: What's Your Enneagram Type?

I tested as a 5w4 SX variant, which is the same result as all of the other Enneagram tests that I've taken (with the exception of variations of SX vs. SP). I consistently come up as INTP on MBTI.

There are many other threads on MBTI on the forums, and to a lesser extent, Enneagram (with polls).
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 02-06-11, 11:49 PM
Forum ADDvocate

nova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFunctioning View Post
I tested as a 5w4 SX variant, which is the same result as all of the other Enneagram tests that I've taken (with the exception of variations of SX vs. SP). I consistently come up as INTP on MBTI.
Interesting. I believe my dad's an INTP, but he's more likely a 3w4. He may be a 5w4 or 5w6 in hiding, because he's almost manufactured an identity for himself that seems to contradict his very nature--again, though, a very "3" thing to do. He might also be a 7w8.

Quote:
There are many other threads on MBTI on the forums, and to a lesser extent, Enneagram (with polls).
I realize that there are some similar threads, but most are older, and I only found one semi-recent Enneagram thread, which got very few responses, likely because of the forum in which it was posted. I'm hoping the mods don't move this one, because I'd like to have as much visibility and as many responses as possible to this thread. I'm interested to see if there are certain patterns in the Enneagram types of ADHDers, as there are with Aspies.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-11, 12:07 AM

Artist000 will become famous soon enough

It says 4 with 5 or 5 with 4-- it can't basically figure it out. But I think it nails it either way.
Old 02-07-11, 12:17 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist000 View Post
It says 4 with 5 or 5 with 4-- it can't basically figure it out. But I think it nails it either way.
Just a guess, but judging by your username, I'm inclined to say 4w5. Fours are the quintessential artists. This doesn't mean that they're all great painters or sculptors or anything. It means more that they value--and enjoy expressing--their individuality to a greater extent than other types. They also experience fairly frequent melancholy, and often even cherish those negative states, for a variety of reason. They feel fundamentally unique and different, and often like there is something basically "missing"; perhaps they even feel defective. They're very empathic and care a great deal about others, but they tend to be introverted and somewhat self-absorbed.

Fives are more the detached, intellectual type--the "investigator." They value knowledge over all else and may appear somewhat aloof and have issues with getting in touch with their emotions. Many feel somewhat alien, and most have a fundamental skepticism or distrust about the world, preferring the safety, security, and introspection of introversion. Some unhealthy fives are "schizoid."

I wouldn't think of most ADHDers being fives, but I could definitely see four being among the most common types, as well as 8, 6, and 9 (also judging by the results of the other, older Enneagram thread).

Four is quite common among people who feel "misunderstood" or different and whether it's a cause or effect is unclear. I know a lot of people on the social anxiety forums--a majority, seemingly--identify as fours, while the second-most-common type appears to be 6, followed by 5. ADHDers also often have a feeling of being different, ostracized, inherently defective, unworthy, melancholy, etc.
Old 02-07-11, 12:32 AM

What I find interesting is that many well-regarded writers also seem to be the 4-types. Sometimes I just read about important persons of the past/present to get a sense of their personalities. A lot of them seem to be the 4-type.

On the other hand I presume that scientists are the quintessential 5-types.

The problem with me is that I am, practically speaking, a student of science but it is impossible for me to get completely detached from the subject material. In a sense I am more emotionally inclined towards my intuitions than detached or objective. It is hard to reconcile this contradiction, between what I am good at and what I am. Hence, I believe the test above nails it.
Old 02-07-11, 12:40 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

This is how I scored:
You are most likely a type 3 (the Achiever) with 2 wing

Social variant

Type 3 SO
Type 2 SX
Type 8 SO
Type 7 SO
Type 4 SX
Type 6 SX
Type 1 SO
Type 9 SX
Type 5 SO

Edit: hmmm, I'm not sure I like everything, or am everything, in my description but, I think I have a hard time being objective (even about myself) because of my emotions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (06-11-11)
Old 02-07-11, 12:41 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 825 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute

i turned out to be a 1w9. I took the test twice.. and scored the same Im not sure how i feel about the 9wing attribute as im a bit more confrontational than 9's are insinuated as. I mean.. i prefer non confrontational approaches.. but i'll be the last to shy away from necessary conflict =) Im not so much in my own "La-la" land that 9's are =) *shrug*. (im actually a bit more of an 8wing in this regard).

One thing that this test scored right is that im SEXUAL!

Im not sure it scored me high enough though.

But Im puttin that on my resume.

I_Dtour
Old 02-07-11, 12:55 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Hmm, scores are pretty well-distributed so far, but obviously it's too early to tell.

Quote:
What I find interesting is that many well-regarded writers also seem to be the 4-types. Sometimes I just read about important persons of the past/present to get a sense of their personalities. A lot of them seem to be the 4-type.

On the other hand I presume that scientists are the quintessential 5-types.

The problem with me is that I am, practically speaking, a student of science but it is impossible for me to get completely detached from the subject material. In a sense I am more emotionally inclined towards my intuitions than detached or objective. It is hard to reconcile this contradiction, between what I am good at and what I am. Hence, I believe the test above nails it.
I enjoy and am decent at writing, and I believe this is not a domain exclusive to fours, although writing is certainly a type of art and suits the four temperament. I definitely have some four qualities, but I'm fundamentally anxious and mistrustful of my fellow human--which lands me firmly in six territory. Sixes, particularly sexual sixes (of which I am likely one, if I'm a six) and fours share a lot in common, but sixes tend to be less open with and more ambivalent about their feelings, and seek out security and offer allegiance, versus the four's perpetual search for identity and embrace of individuality.

You can't be both types, so if you're interested in pursuing it further, you'll have to figure out which one--four or five--suits you better. My hunch is four, but you'll have to make that decision for yourself (particularly because you are a four, hah).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impromptu_DTour View Post
i turned out to be a 1w9. I took the test twice.. and scored the same Im not sure how i feel about the 9wing attribute as im a bit more confrontational than 9's are insinuated as. I mean.. i prefer non confrontational approaches.. but i'll be the last to shy away from necessary conflict =) Im not so much in my own "La-la" land that 9's are =) *shrug*. (im actually a bit more of an 8wing in this regard).

One thing that this test scored right is that im SEXUAL!

Im not sure it scored me high enough though.

But Im puttin that on my resume.

I_Dtour
I'm sexual, too. Very sexual. I crave intimacy and "deep" one-on-one relationships. In that sense, I'm also very two-ish, and I consistently test very high on 2, but I have too much anxiety and too little self-esteem to be a 2.

1s are one of the less common types, IIRC. They're quite interesting to me, especially since they're the type I least relate to and in which I test the lowest. It's almost like examining an alien specimen.

The wing is not as strong as the core type and doesn't mean you manifest the qualities of that wing's type, per se, but that you're "oriented" toward it, rather than toward the other wing. The combination of core type and wing is much like combining a lot of blue with less green.

My friend's a 9, and we get along wonderfully, which is quite typical for a 6 and a 9. He's probably a 9w8.

Are you really putting your Enneagram type on your resume? I'd debated putting my MBTI, but I decided it was rather tacky, and plus, a lot of people probably don't like the annoying concurrent enthusiasms and insecurities of the ENFP. I'd be interested to know if this is common practice or seen in a positive light by employers.
Old 02-07-11, 12:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

hoolio has a spectacular aura abouthoolio has a spectacular aura about

Type 5 (the Investigator) wing 4 with "Self Preservation" variant.

Type 5 SP

Type 4 SP

Type 6 SP

Type 9 SX

Type 1 SX

Type 7 SO

Type 8 SP

Type 3 SX

Type 2 SP
Old 02-07-11, 01:06 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
Type 5 (the Investigator) wing 4 with "Self Preservation" variant.

Type 5 SP

Type 4 SP

Type 6 SP

Type 9 SX

Type 1 SX

Type 7 SO

Type 8 SP

Type 3 SX

Type 2 SP
Cool, an investigator. Don't forget to vote!
Old 02-07-11, 01:06 AM

[quote=nova2012;1020766]Hmm, scores are pretty well-distributed so far, but obviously it's too early to tell.

I enjoy and am decent at writing, and I believe this is not a domain exclusive to fours, although writing is certainly a type of art and suits the four temperament. I definitely have some four qualities, but I'm fundamentally anxious and mistrustful of my fellow human--which lands me firmly in six territory. Sixes, particularly sexual sixes (of which I am likely one, if I'm a six) and fours share a lot in common, but sixes tend to be less open with and more ambivalent about their feelings, and seek out security and offer allegiance, versus the four's perpetual search for identity and embrace of individuality.

You can't be both types, so if you're interested in pursuing it further, you'll have to figure out which one--four or five--suits you better. My hunch is four, but you'll have to make that decision for yourself (particularly because you are a four, hah).

I'm sexual, too. Very sexual. I crave intimacy and "deep" one-on-one relationships. In that sense, I'm also very two-ish, and I consistently test very high on 2, but I have too much anxiety and too little self-esteem to be a 2.

1s are one of the less common types, IIRC. They're quite interesting to me, especially since they're the type I least relate to and in which I test the lowest. It's almost like examining an alien specimen.

The wing is not as strong as the core type and doesn't mean you manifest the qualities of that wing's type, per se, but that you're "oriented" toward it, rather than toward the other wing. The combination of core type and wing is much like combining a lot of blue with less green.

My friend's a 9, and we get along wonderfully, which is quite typical for a 6 and a 9. He's probably a 9w8.

Are you really putting your Enneagram type on your resume? I'd debated putting my MBTI, but I decided it was rather tacky, and plus, a lot of people probably don't like the annoying concurrent enthusiasms and insecurities of the ENFP. [/quote

I chose 4 because that seemed more compatible with me.
Old 02-07-11, 01:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

hoolio has a spectacular aura abouthoolio has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: What's Your Enneagram Type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova2012 View Post
Cool, an investigator. Don't forget to vote!
Thanks for the reminder! Went back and voted! LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to hoolio For This Useful Post:
nova2012 (02-07-11)
Old 02-07-11, 01:17 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
I chose 4 because that seemed more compatible with me.
Excellent.

Now if only I could settle on a type... I think this pretty much speaks for itself--I'm probably a 6 in denial. I honestly think it's the worst type.
Old 02-07-11, 02:00 AM
Contributor

Surly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to all

You are most likely a type 7 (the Enthusiast) with 8 wing
Sexual variant

Type 7 SX

Type 8 SO

Type 2 SP

Type 9 SX

Type 3 SO

Type 4 SX

Type 6 SX

Type 1 SO

Type 5 SX

I think I might try it again in a few days.
My high tolerance for chaos is compensation for my low tolerance for B.S.