ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-10, 12:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chamaleon has a spectacular aura aboutchamaleon has a spectacular aura about
Your short and long term memory

My short term memory is pretty non-existent. I lose my keys every day, forget where i put things, etc

My long term memory is really good - can remember even when I am drunk, often can recall the exact words people use to describe things in conversations I had years ago

I am guessing it is typical for Adders to have awful short term and brilliant long term memories.

your thoughts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chamaleon For This Useful Post:
MrCowbell (04-15-10), Nishira (04-15-10)
Old 04-15-10, 12:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nishira has a spectacular aura aboutNishira has a spectacular aura about
Re: Your short and long term memory

Good thread!

Yes, my personal experience tends to mirror that of yours. Pretty good long termed memory and short term memory that i've often referred to as "swiss cheese memory" (full of holes). I had referred to my short term memory in that fashion ..long.. before i realized that issue was related to ADD.

I've read that people who consume grape juice on a daily basis can notice improvements in their short term memory (due to inflammatory effects of the juice).

My short term memory has gotten better in recent past, since i've been in school - not sure if that's due to (a) being on 300mg wellbutrin (b) being on concerta (c) actually using my brain more often (d) daily consumption of either grape and/or prune juice (i don't drink grape juice in the morning due to citric acid and not wanting to nullify the effects of the stimulants - so i'll drink prune juice in the morning and sometimes, grape juice later at night) - or...some combination of the above...

also, check out the site - lumosity.com - they have lots of fun games that might help as well
Old 04-16-10, 10:46 AM

cynwldkat is on a distinguished road

Some long term memory problems here and short term memory problems too. My total lack of concentration seems to make for little memories often times unless it is a memory of something I was hyper-focused on.
The Following User Says Thank You to cynwldkat For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-16-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-10, 07:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

crazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nice

This is me to a T.

The things I remember from being a kid...people are amazed, but to me it's no big deal. I can remember dreams from back then too!
Short term memory is rubbish though...except for obsessions, but general and more important things like remembering where I put something, appointments, texting/phoning people back...nope, no hope there!

"You laugh bec[color=Blue][size=1]ause I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

"Be crazy because there's no time to be cool."

"Don't follow in my footsteps, I run into walls."

Old 04-17-10, 10:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Both short and long term memory is crap.
I'm forgetful about where I put items or who called.
I'm not that good at remembering facts in detail. I can learn little snippets of information or enough to summarize, say an interesting article I read, but I often have to re-read over the same article the next day to remember it better.
I'm into astronomy but can't remember everything about it. I do know enough about working a telescope, but I often forget to coordinates and what they mean. Or Azimuth verses equatorial. There are some things I don't remember but other details that just stay in my mind.
I'm really good at photography so I remember quite a lot about it. The different settings I don't use usually slip from my memory though.
And my memory gets less and less detailed past the 5 year mark. I can remember things about when I was 16 better than when I was 10.
Having a poor long term memory isn't very good when you like to read up about science and other things like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
naninni (05-09-10)
Old 04-18-10, 09:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

I have an awful memory. I've lost 2-300 dollars worth of stuff and money this month. I keep dropping my things on the floor, and if I find it I am lucky and if not I lose it forever. Lost my wallet, keys, money, bus card, and even a good port of my prescription (luckily that trip was canceled and I was able to survive on a lower dose of medication).

I feel so happy somtimes I forget to check my pockets and stuff.

As for long term I tend to generalize everything. Everything is categorized and if you're an interesting person you go into the interesting person category and I remember your name, and if its a unique item like a shrunken head the facts tend to stay.

I don't know if I should take my medication to do stuff I find normally boring but not very constructive. For example I have always hated watching movies. Ohh so boring, so are TV shows and animes. It so futile and even more so now! Its odd how I can remember movies though even though I find them boring.
Old 04-18-10, 04:22 PM

Thanked 27,493 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing long term, frightening short term!
Old 04-18-10, 05:49 PM
Contributor

Princess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of light

I have an amazing long term memory and a horrible short term memory. People would get frustrated with me and not believe I could forget things and say things like "How is it possible for you to remember something from ten years ago and not remember what I told you two minutes ago?" It's really a double edged sword, people get freaked out that you remember stuff from long ago and act like you're a stalker, and they can't share your memories and nostalgia with you and get frustrated at how you forget what they asked you to do a minute ago and that they have to repeat instructions. I can remember things I did 13 years ago but not 10 minutes ago.

I hate it when I lost something and I ask someone and they say "Where did you last see it?" If I remembered that and it was there, wouldn't I find it?
Old 04-18-10, 07:45 PM

ADHDnME will become famous soon enough

I have terrible short-term memory and okay long-term memory. I use a day planner and if it isn't written down the I will forget it. There are times that even when it is written down that I will show up for an appt on the WRONG day... It is very concerning and recently I've had testing, which I am still awaiting results for. I am hoping it is ADD rather than dementia of some kind. I will know in a couple of weeks when I go for my results if it is actually ADD or not.
Old 04-18-10, 09:29 PM

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I have excellent long-term memory. I can remember things I forgot to do from years ago!
Old 04-18-10, 09:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of light

I have great long term memory. My Short term Memory must have a short in it or something.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it depends on the conditions per say.
ADD/HD has many different disorders that are associated it with it, so I am sure that everyone is different.

My Friend (who is ADD) has both a great short term memory and long term memory.

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)

Old 04-18-10, 10:21 PM
Contributor

krb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the rough

My short term memory is like

"what did you just say?, Wait what was I saying? or

"Uhh I just had that where did it go, I know it was right here??" "let me follow my last steps.... "wait what was I doing before I realized It was missing?"

Then I find it whatever a week later and I still have no idea how it got there.

WOW long term memory....

"Hey k remember that time....? Remember me?"

"Hmmm wow who this this person and what are you talking about."

"remember we were best friends for like a month like 5 years ago."

"What, How is it possible for you to remember that?"

If I save a number in my phone and I don't write out the whole name or even if I do A week later I will have no idea why the number is in there and then I delete it. Made that mistake way to many times.

"Get to the store walk around, buy stuff, get home O crap I didn't get anything I went for but I ended up spending the same amount of money I planned.

I HAVE TO HAVE A BANK CARD AND KEEP TRACK. CASH FORGET ABOUT IT. ALSO I HAVE TO TAKE PICTURES TO REMEMBER. EVEN THEN SOMETIMES I LOOK AT A PICTURE AND I DON'T REMEMBER. THEN LOOK AT AN OLD PICTURE AND REMEMBER THE WHOLE DAY.
The Following User Says Thank You to krb388 For This Useful Post:
mhyper790 (04-18-10)
Old 04-18-10, 11:44 PM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

I have always struggled with short term memory, but I've developed some OCD behaviour that helps me keep track of important things like medication and keys. Long term memory is getting a tad frayed as I age. It really bothers me to have to check my spelling now - it used to be rock solid.

Phaedrus

Old 04-18-10, 11:57 PM
Contributor

krb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
I have always struggled with short term memory, but I've developed some OCD behaviour that helps me keep track of important things like medication and keys. Long term memory is getting a tad frayed as I age. It really bothers me to have to check my spelling now - it used to be rock solid.

My adderall helped develop an OCD behavior that helps all my problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to krb388 For This Useful Post:
Amtram (04-19-10)
Old 04-19-10, 12:00 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb388 View Post
My adderall helped develop an OCD behavior that helps all my problems.
Dare I ask?

Phaedrus