ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-10, 10:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about
Re: Time Timer for Time Management - love this!

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I'm excited. I just bought the one for my iPod (which also works on the iPhone)! It's only $4.99 on iTunes.

This is great! Thanks, meridian, for letting me know they offer this option!

Oops! I can't figure it out! Can you tell me how to get it on my computer and/or iPod? It won't let me click and drag.
Old 05-10-10, 12:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,931 Times in 12,565 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

The ticking of an ordinary kitchen timer drives me batty and this one is supposed to be silent - but this is waaaay more expensive.

... ponders the advantages vs the price....

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-10-10, 12:20 PM

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-n-Spin View Post
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I'm excited. I just bought the one for my iPod (which also works on the iPhone)! It's only $4.99 on iTunes.

This is great! Thanks, meridian, for letting me know they offer this option!

Oops! I can't figure it out! Can you tell me how to get it on my computer and/or iPod? It won't let me click and drag.
I think you might have missed an essential part of my other posts when you asked if you could use it on a regular iPod . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
I *believe* that the app will work on the more recent versions of the iPod Touch, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
No, just the iPod TOUCH which is like the iPhone without the phone part.

Buying a new iPod Touch for $199-$399 JUST for the Time Timer app ($4.99) would be a little expensive!
However, if you DO have an iPod TOUCH it will sync automatically through iTunes.

I hope you didn't just waste $5!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-10, 12:20 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

Well, thanks guys...

Just bought the app.

Anyone noticed if it affects battery life? Don't expect it's too battery hungry really.
Old 05-10-10, 12:24 PM

meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareacc View Post
Well, thanks guys...

Just bought the app.

Anyone noticed if it affects battery life? Don't expect it's too battery hungry really.
It will because the display is ON of course depending on how much you use it.

I dug out my old iPhone dock, took the phone out of the case and now just sit it in the charging dock while I use it as a timer so the battery life is not impacted.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
weareacc (05-10-10)
Old 05-10-10, 12:39 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

Cheers, I was thinking of getting a proper dock anyway so it's a good excuse.

Might even get one of those speaker ones so I can combine 2 ADHD tools in one!

:-D
meridian (05-11-10)
Old 05-11-10, 01:52 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence's Mom View Post
This is so used in my house and I have only had it about 2 weeks...it is perfect for my son who, lingers in the shower...he can 'see' the red from the shower and knows it is time to get moving...
GREAT IDEA! I could use this in the shower also.
I usually leave the door cracked just enough to see the living room clock when I'm showering for work, but I still manage to cut it too close at times.
Plus, it's all too easy for me to count the minutes and think, "I have 15 minutes left, it'll only take me 3 more minutes to finish". But having a visual clue like the red face might make me think differently.
I never thought about using one at home, I pretty much just thought about them for my daughter's school and homework.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
meridian (05-11-10)
Old 05-11-10, 07:57 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Crap. Well, I thought it said other iPods. I'll check to see if there is a way. I can also let other friends/family dedicate it to theirs. You can do up to five. So, I won't feel I wasted $5 if that's the case. At least it was only that much!
meridian (05-11-10)
Old 05-11-10, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Crap. Well, I thought it said other iPods. I'll check to see if there is a way. I can also let other friends/family dedicate it to theirs. You can do up to five. So, I won't feel I wasted $5 if that's the case. At least it was only that much!
Sorry! But thanks for the tip!

I really love the timer and was really glad to be able to get it for $5 for my iPhone.

I've used it just about constantly since yesterday.

It is perfect for me, and I've been amazed at how much I can actually get done in a 10 minute burst with the visual feedback.

It simply gave me a better "feel" for how long ten minutes is! Brilliant!

Old 05-11-10, 09:33 PM
Jr Member

gailzy is on a distinguished road

Time timers are great! The thing I want to caution is that they break really really easy so don't let them become toys when they're not being used. I've had to throw two away so far. There's another one, a visual timer that has different sounds (http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER6900-Time-Tracker/dp/B0007DHU0S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1273627906&sr=8-8) that's really hard to set...unless I'm just to ADD to read the directions, which is entirely possible. Then there's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Traffic...627906&sr=8-16 which is great b/c it's a regular easy-to-set kitchen timer and the magnet is GREAT and it changes color the closer you get to the time expiring. That one is my favorite.
Old 05-11-10, 09:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I guess I'll have to stick with my "old-fashioned" version for now.

I did not care for the Time Tracker with lights as much because it just gives an estimate of time, which is hard for very young children. I think it would work better for older children or for some situations, but not others.

Along the same lines, there is a traffic light looking thing (the Yacker Tracker) that shows a green light when children are speaking normally, yellow when getting a little too loud and red when definitely too loud. We really needed that tonight at dinner!
Old 05-11-10, 11:14 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

Just an aside for those who might want to buy an iPod Touch...
I have purchased two so far from Apple as Refurbished units.

They have a warranty, work just as good as a new one, in my opinion, and cost less.

Of course, these are not the latest models, but the ones right before the latest... which for me is just fine.

I haven't used the app yet... dang!.. I should have used it today after being called in to work. I missed clocking back in from lunch (I was back, just forgot to clock in... a very common mistake I make here).

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 05-14-10, 04:45 AM

mystes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Good to know about the iPhone app. I don't have one of those, yet, but that would be SUPER helpful when timing out and about. That's why I bought the travel sized version, but I don't always take it with me. Now I can set the timer for, say, "15 more minutes to play then we have to go" for my son, telling him when it's almost time. It's great to have a timer or alarm be the "bad guy" instead of me!

weareacc, I don't think the novelty of this wears off. It's so perfect. There are some I think would, like the ones with lights that show you colors (almost like a stoplight) with amounts of time (e.g. green means 30 mins, yellow means 15) left. Those don't actually show you the quantity on a clock. That's what I really like about this is it's basically a clock with the time "filled in."

My husband says he wants one of these for meetings. The larger ones do have stickers you can put on them like for when to do certain things. Not sure how that works, though.
This is nice.. a programmed organizer for the time..

this is quiet something useful for me 'coz i am bet have a problems with my time and my work.. that some important things will just left behind..

aside from the thread starter, who still use this?
Old 09-14-10, 06:28 PM

daylilly is on a distinguished road

I am home schooling my adhd son this year, and we use the time timer when he is working on written material. I love that when I say "check your clock" I know he is actually *taking in* how much time he has left thanks to the bright red color of that shrinking pie slice. I find that I myself am consistently surprised at how much and/or how little time has actually passed, but then he is a chip off the old block