ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 10-29-09, 06:00 AM

Mike_GC is on a distinguished road
My DEX is making my ADHD & anxiety worst help bad side effects

Hey everyone

I got Diagnized 4 weeks ago, I started on Dex and it instantly calmed my brain down and I cound even handle sitting and talking with someone and enjoyed it. Really good results I thought I had a new lease on life. I'm Inattentive type so just hyper in my head not on the outside. (restless feeling's & anxiety).

Anyways eating disorder anxiety problems were handled perfectly for the first 12 days on DEX like I had been cured. I could even take a dex and fall asleep at night 15 mins later after having a massive anxiety issue 15 mins prior. It was working great. I was only taking 5-10mg though, and only as needed. Trying to keep the dosage low. Then I forgot to take it a couple of times and got a few hyper episodes, high anxiety ups for a couple of days. I upped my dosages as my anxieity seemed to be getting worst during the day, I'd take one at 9am, then by 11am my hyper brain would want more.

But now this week I am finding my brain feels like its tripped and stuck on 400%, it feels like my fight or flight brain switch is stuck all day long on FLIGHT. Hyper concentration feeling in brain but i'm so amped in my body i'm twitching and extremely restless like never before. I can't do any work, its very uncomfortable and i'm thinking of giving up this Dex and going off it for a week then trying something else. Right now I can't stop tapping my feet, moving my fingers, it doesn't feel like anxiety it feels like something different, its like EXTREME RESTLESSNESS feeling.

Questions :
#1 - This hyper concentration flight restlessness feeling like the brain is stuck on 400%. Has anyone else had this feeling? is it normal at all I haven't read of this before on the boards. It feels like its getting worst each day.

#2 - If I do go off my Dexamphedimine (i'm now on 15-20mg a day). Am I going to spaz out? Should I try to cut down to 5mg for 3 days then cut to 0mg?

Thanks for any help guys, i'll be going back to my PSY doc in a week or so, any advice would be very welcome at this point.

Mike
Old 10-29-09, 07:19 AM

Re: My DEX is making my ADHD & anxiety worst help bad side effects

Oh btw, I take a Testosterone booster but a pretty mild one. Nothing anabolic or strong. The ones they give to old men who need a boost naturally to help them be healthy. I'm 31 though. I'm not taking that anymore to see if that has any effect on my symtoms.

Is there possibily something thats setting me off like this? I feel like a nervous wreck right. I can't work, I can't watch TV, the only thing i can do is play stupid computer games. Its like my ADHD is on steroids. go figure
Old 10-29-09, 02:59 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

There are some interactions between dexedrine + hormones.

Dopamine in the brain inhibits the release of prolactin. Prolactin helps regulate a number of hormones. I know my wife gets moody a few days a month due to changes in hormone levels

I wonder if whatever is giving you low testosterone levels @ 31 is getting magnified by this dopamine/prolactin effect? I'm no expert, but I bet your doctor would know.

BobC
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-09, 03:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

The nerd in me keeps reading this thread title as talking about your DEXTERITY. Old habit from my childhood, hehehehe.

It's great.

Carry on.
Old 10-30-09, 08:48 AM

Went off everything today including Dex and felt better. Still a bit restless but thats more the ADHD normal feelings coming back. Back to normal self medicating for a week to try dex again. Try to see the doctor next week as well.
Old 08-26-13, 05:17 PM
Jr Member

BubbleMama75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_GC View Post
Went off everything today including Dex and felt better. Still a bit restless but thats more the ADHD normal feelings coming back. Back to normal self medicating for a week to try dex again. Try to see the doctor next week as well.
Question - did a qualified doctor diagnose you as having low testosterone and prescribe the meds for it, or is that some sort of over the counter thing you decided to try on your own, because the advertising pitch sounded too good not to?

We were just discussing this very thing in Psychology a couple weeks ago.. Actual low testosterone is very rare (and I'd guess even more so at 31) and taking a supplement for it can have definite, profound adverse effects, unless it's genuinely necessary.

As for the amped up, "400%", extreme restlessness thing - generally that's how I tend to feel off my meds... but then, I'm an ADHD lifer, diagnosed some 30 years ago. I've had decades to learn how certain things affect me and if this is the first medication you've tried, it just may not be a good fit for you, personally.
If you're seeing the psych doc soon, mention all of this to him/her and then see what he/she thinks would be the best way to handle it. If you don't agree with their decision, there's no harm in seeking a second opinion either.

However, you mentioned that you've been self adjusting the dosage. Was this suggested by the prescribing doctor, or is it something you did on your own? Being newly diagnosed, it's best not to try adjusting the dosage by yourself, unless you were advised to do so by your doc.

There's good reason not to take more than your prescription says to in a day - these meds can become addictive and the "need" grows along with the increase in dosage. Listen to the doc and follow his/her directions for dosing, they don't spend all that time in medical school for nothing.
I know good men with ADD!
Old 08-26-13, 05:19 PM
Jr Member

BubbleMama75 will become famous soon enough

I really need to read the dates on these threads before posting.
I know good men with ADD!
Old 08-26-13, 08:31 PM

workingmemory is just really niceworkingmemory is just really niceworkingmemory is just really niceworkingmemory is just really nice

Once this topic is up i would like to add that anxiety is not a part of adhd. Though of course it is a common comorbidity in adults. Anxiety alone is known to cause restlessness, racing thoughts, feeling "wired" etc.

It isn't very clear whether the op. was treating his anxiety or adhd with the DEX.
BubbleMama75 (09-12-13)