ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips > Household Tips and Tricks
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-09, 05:56 AM
Jr Member

MarySun is on a distinguished road
Talking What did you do today to declutter or clean the mess? Brag!

There's a wonderful thread about ADD messiness/cluttering.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71354

How about sharing the good things we have done toward making our spaces more liveable? I'm hoping your notes will help motivate me and others!
>>I usually keep up with things that could smell: dishes, trash, clean toilet and bathroom floor. I have a cat and his litter pan is clean. I use a swivel sweeper to get up his tracked litter. <<
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...t=71354&page=2
I'm happy to report that I just did the dishes. I try to stick to the rule to empty and polish (armorall) my sink before going to work. That way, at least ONE thing in my house is okay. I just did that (yippee!) after piling over the weekend.

Meanwhile, there's still a lot of stuff on the counters.

Oh, also, I swivel-sweepered the bathroom (kitty litter) cuz I cannot stand litter on my feet, and I cleaned the toilet. And I finally put a trash can next to the computer, so I can immediately drop trash instead of having it all around the computer.

The rest of the house is pretty much shambles and piles, but I feel a little better.

Did YOU do anything today towards cleaning or decluttering?

Mary
Old 09-08-09, 08:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,497 Times in 13,311 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do today to declutter or clean the mess? Brag!

Very motiviating! well I am at work but I had a GREAT idea: get some kind of wicker or wood crate type things for the overflow of books and magazines. this is doable!
and now I'm motivated to do the dishes tonight when I get home.
Old 09-08-09, 09:29 AM
Jr Member

Ratchit is on a distinguished road

yeah i left the house so i didnt have to look at it hehehehehe
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-09, 09:32 AM

silverstreams is on a distinguished road

It is too early for me to even THINK about cleaning, but I'm proud of what I did yesterday! I planned to clean the entire apartment, then started a mantra going in my head: 'One room at a time, one room at a time!' I focused on completely cleaning an entire room rather than picking up something from one room, wandering to another room, etc.

So I ended up washing dishes, doing laundry, wiping down countertops, washing the bathtub, toilet, sink and bathroom floor! And of course once I hyperfocused, I did tiny things like clean the toaster and organize the soaps in the bathroom. There are three messy rooms yet to be cleaned, but my clean kitchen and bathroom are totally relaxing and happy-making.

(How did I do it? I turned on music so loud that all my neighbors could hear it. But it helped me focus!)

Last edited by silverstreams; 09-08-09 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: perfectionisim
Old 09-08-09, 10:38 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

I have used the "2 year rule" to get rid of unused items in my home office and clothes closet. If you haven't used something in the last 2 years, get rid of it. Of course there are exceptions, but I try to follow this rule. I still have way too much clutter though.
Old 09-08-09, 12:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Vickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of light

I started meds a few months ago and since then I have been redoing my kitchen. The previous owner had painted the cabinets and brick white and over the last 14 years that had yellowed badly. I stripped the cabinets and bricks, then stained the cabinets and re-mortared the bricks. Now the counter top and sink looks so old.

I have added drawers to some cabinets that I could never get to the back of. I put down new shelf paper and reorganized most of my cabinets.

I got rid of 2 cabinets worth of old tupperware containers that I don't use (I don't move things out of original packaging and into containers any more- that was a phase for me).

I got rid of items that we got for our wedding and either never used or rarely used. These things were from the mid 70's and were harvest gold!

Got rid of the pots and pans I never use (my sister in law was thrilled). When you buy a set, there are always ones that you never use, and these had collected at the back of the cabinets from 2 or 3 sets of pots and pans.

Got rid of the plastic storage bins of arts and crafts and a table and 4 chairs from when the kids were little. These really filled one wall of the kitchen.

I am stripping and refinishing the wood floor next. Then I will buy a kitchen island cart for the area where the kid's stuff had been. This will get me more counter space and help me get the big stuff out of my little pantry so I can organize it.

I am so happy that I can actually take on these projects and see them through rather than look at the room that has collected years worth of stuff and feel overwhelmed. I also do not feel that I have to do it all at once or not bother. YEAY!
Old 09-08-09, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

Well, a couple of weekends ago I was dog-sitting for my parents while they went out of town. Their dog is about eight months old - a Lab/Great Dane mix. I brought his x-pen/crate over to my place and set it up in the kitchen for him, along with a couple of bones and treats, while I went out for the afternoon. During that time, he managed to get out of the crate and go "Tasmanian Devil" on my apartment.

Part of his rampage included going upstairs to look out my front windows and pretty much shredding the blinds. I mean, the plastic slats were broken in two and just hanging there.

Finally, today, I completely took the blinds down and, if I really get motivated, I may run out and buy some energy-saver/sun-blocker curtains for those windows so that I don't feel like a fish in a bowl.

So, that's my accomplishment for the day.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 09-08-09, 01:36 PM

MikeE11 is on a distinguished road

I've mentioned this elsewhere and though this is something more general and can be used elsewhere. But I'm starting to think that a process like in the book "Getting Things Done" (David Allen) might just be built for folks with ADHD. Been procrastinating putting it all into place, but the parts I have done and use have helped me tremendously. I so wish I had this way of doing thing many years ago as I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in right now. I should search to see if someone else has already brought this topic up as I'd like to see how it works or might work with other adults who have ADHD.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeE11 For This Useful Post:
MarySun (09-08-09)
Old 09-08-09, 03:37 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreams View Post
then started a mantra going in my head: 'One room at a time, one room at a time!' I focused on completely cleaning an entire room rather than picking up something from one room, wandering to another room, etc.
That's GREAT! One room is a terrific goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreams View Post
(How did I do it? I turned on music so loud that all my neighbors could hear it. But it helped me focus!)
Getting started is a motivator for me. Don't you feel good? That's one room down!
M
Old 09-08-09, 03:40 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE11 View Post
I've mentioned this elsewhere and though this is something more general and can be used elsewhere. But I'm starting to think that a process like in the book "Getting Things Done" (David Allen) might just be built for folks with ADHD. Been procrastinating putting it all into place, but the parts I have done and use have helped me tremendously. I so wish I had this way of doing thing many years ago as I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in right now. I should search to see if someone else has already brought this topic up as I'd like to see how it works or might work with other adults who have ADHD.

Mike
I've bought that book . . . and, um . . . haven't read it yet.
Old 09-08-09, 03:41 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post

Finally, today, I completely took the blinds down and, if I really get motivated, I may run out and buy some energy-saver/sun-blocker curtains for those windows so that I don't feel like a fish in a bowl.

So, that's my accomplishment for the day.
Boy, you started with a rough challenge. Sounds like you are starting! Go for it!
Old 09-08-09, 03:43 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie View Post
I am so happy that I can actually take on these projects and see them through rather than look at the room that has collected years worth of stuff and feel overwhelmed. I also do not feel that I have to do it all at once or not bother. YEAY!
Dang, that's a healthy attitude! I want to get where you are!
Old 09-08-09, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,497 Times in 13,311 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I did some of the dishes, and some exercises.
Old 09-08-09, 05:16 PM

MikeE11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySun View Post
I've bought that book . . . and, um . . . haven't read it yet.
Indeed, it is difficult to get started and going with ADHD.

FWIW, here's some more discussion on this process for those wondering.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41402
Old 09-09-09, 03:58 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE11 View Post
Indeed, it is difficult to get started and going with ADHD.

FWIW, here's some more discussion on this process for those wondering.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41402

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out. Indeed, STARTING is the whole key to all of this, including cleaning.