ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 08-14-09, 11:04 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all
Rosetta Stone/Language Software?

I heard an advertisement on the radio about the Rosette Stone language-learning software that teaches based on the person's individual learning style. Apparently the program includes a "test," and the results are used to determine how the person learns. It then customizes the lessons to the learning style of that user.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the software? I would love to learn to speak another language; took Spanish in high school but it was all the standard memorization and grammar rules and repetition. Maybe the software that teaches based on learning style would work for someone with ADD?

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 08-14-09, 11:56 AM

tom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nice
Re: Rosetta Stone/Language Software?

I got Rosetta Stone a couple years ago after I met an online friend from Denmark and wanted to learn Danish.. I don't remember there being any kind of learning-style test on the software but then again it was a couple years ago, maybe there are newer versions?

As for whether it worked for ADHD, I was unmedicated and undiagnosed at the time I used it, and thinking back i think it was perfect for ADDers. The way you learn was like you're shown pictures and the word is spoken aloud, just as a baby learns! You start with just a couple words, then it gets more complex with sentences, etc. Very simple! I only used it for a brief amount of time but it was effective and easy for me.

but i should say i'm really good at languages to begin with; i took Spanish the old fashioned way in middle and high school, it's been 4 years now, and i can talk to pretty much anyone. but I still think Rosetta Stone would be very simple for anyone else, ADHD or not!

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to tom2228 For This Useful Post:
JollyBadger (08-14-09)