ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 06-29-09, 11:17 PM

roodyrider is on a distinguished road
Re: snri (pristiq) with desoxyn . kinda long but please look if u can help at all,tha

Yellow--Did you never try Cymbalta just because you found Pristiq first, or was there some other reason?
Old 06-30-09, 12:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: snri (pristiq) with desoxyn . kinda long but please look if u can help at all,tha

roody,

cymbalta was alright, felt more normal but got pretty sleepy and ended up not caring about much. Stress is a huge motivator for those with adhd and if it's not that much of a factor, one forgets what it's like to not have stress and instead have calm focus....it's the way to go trust me. Wellbutrin is a solid med, but it's not terrific for worry, worry and worry thoughts are no good....they waste time and time is all we have, this is why I entertain the thoughts of pristiq. Pristiq interest me because when I take it I don't feel too sedated but it doesnt interfere with my stims much.. I'm on wellbutrin now, but thinking of trying out pristiq. Worry is natural for adult adhd and boredom is the perfect environment for it. Do not get caught up in mdd and the labels or commercials ...adhd is a spectrum disorder and rather or not if your worry is biological it matters not, because enviroment is just as big a factor for conditioned anxiety and it needs to be eliminated... Think of treatment this way for adhd , mood plays into the environment and interferes with proper focus, if your worried or bored you cannot focus and this leads to stress. Treat your worry and anxiety as well as your adhd ...this is the path that will drive you toward success... The reason yellow likes pristiq is that it treats a broad spectrum of problems and covers more than wellbutrin does...but yes wellbutrin is solid and it's good as well, it's just not good with anxiety thats all. From what I understand if pristiq does not sedate you then it will elimate anxiety and worry.....this will make you far more productive
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
tom2228 (07-01-09)
Old 06-30-09, 02:38 AM
Contributor

Yellow will become famous soon enough

i didnt try cymbalta for a few reasons:

1) i did find pristiq first
2) after researching everything extensively, and i mean more than most psychiatrists know about these meds, i found pristiq to be superior to cymbalta, at least as far as i understood
3)pristiq, though it is a metabolite of effexor, it is a very high dose of that very potent metabolite and its pharmacological profile is not only unique and effective, but its very promising for other reasons (which i do not feel like exapnding upon)
4) there are only a few snri's, and my research has shown me that for my purposes of combing an snri with my other medications, pristiq is the best choice
5) one dose, no titration, clincal response immediately upon first dosage...within days i felt pristiq working, i mean 3 days, and then by a week it was a different world, so since i tried so many other meds and pristiq really did work that fast, i was willin to give it my time, and its helped tremendously
6) the only other ad's i like are zoloft and mirtazapine/remeron, but zoloft doesnt have any NE adjustment and remeron is for nighttime sedation, and i dont have insomnia so....
7)pristiq's neuroprotection from the other meds i take (supposedly also reduces tolerance to some people, which i have not developed btw) is working great during the day

so im happy with my combo and i dont want and wouldnt try cymbalta because pristiq seems better. only zoloft, remeron, mianserin, or prozac as a final choice.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-09, 03:52 AM

VERY well put!! I'm going to have to seriously ponder all of this. Pristiq and Cymbalta are BOTH probably better choices for me than WB, but it really comes down to the sex stuff. I'm just not willing to sacrifice there. At least not without exhausting every possible alternative.

Life isn't fair!
Old 06-30-09, 03:56 AM

That last "Very well put" was for Hollywood--I hadn't seen your post yet Yellow. That's why I asked--I knew you'd probably have better information than me and probably my doctor!

I really can't thank you guys enough!
Old 06-30-09, 04:53 AM

Well Yellow, I think you've sold me on Pristiq. With the free trial carrot dangling out there, I can't see any reason not to at least give it a try. I already know Cymbalta has the side effect I don't want, and Hollywood has convinced me that Wellbutrin may not be the best since I'm always stuck inside my head. It seems more logical for Wellbutrin to be the last resort. And I'll bet my doc will let me get started without going in since he's an hour and a half away!
Old 06-30-09, 09:09 AM
Contributor

if u ask me, wellbutrin sucks, but thats me. i think as a chemical its very interesting with what it does, i find it very interesting actually as it is really the only NDRI that's widely available and sold as that, i mean pritsiq has slight dopamine reuptake inhibition as does zoloft, but probaly not as much as wellbutrin (though zoloft supposedly has more, its affinity for receptors isnt as strong as wellbutrin). however, its clinical and pharmacological actions i find are quite different, theoretically it looks awesome on paper, but when used i hated wellbutrin, its like a stimulant comedown without any of the benefits of the stimulant. with sexual side effects u run that risk with almost any AD, wellbutrin and NRI's the least, but its still possible. pristiq's sexual side effects didnt effect me as far as physical ability, it was simply a lessened desire or libido, but that went away after the adjustment period.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow For This Useful Post:
selby (07-18-09)
Old 06-30-09, 09:46 AM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

yellow,

I wonder if wellbutrin works on some people as a baseline to there stimulant if in those people that wellbutrin helped if pristiq would still be a better option. I find that when I take wellbutrin my head is clear and I feel quite normal but I can get anxious, while only shortly trialing pristiq I feel a bit more calm yet less focused , yet it is too early to call regarding pristiq because being that it has serotonin this side effect is most likely temporary. I think wellbutrins dopamine reuptake facilitates me and helps this is my only question mark regarding if pristiq will be as effective. Good posts and feedback though. I do like wellbutrin but it does nothing for obsessive or ruminating patternistic conditioned thoughts. I think this is where serotonin becomes effective because once you feel calm and happy one is less likely to ruminate over negative thinking. I am still with wellbutrin but I want to try pristiq. Ha ha , tough to adjust when your a broker.
Old 06-30-09, 12:39 PM
Contributor

the only reason i dont like wellbutrin is because of the anxiety you mentioned, if anyone takes it alone, they have all told me they get anxious, inlcuding myself. pristiq is a good med, but there are tons, like ive mentioned.
Old 06-30-09, 01:18 PM

Yellow, that's the exact same way CB affected me, but it didn't go away. I read some reviews and there were a few who had that with CB but not Pristiq. That's enough motivation for me to give it a shot. The stress level is freakishly high in my life right now, but it's situational. That's why I realize WB doesn't make much sense at the moment. I need to worry about getting through crisis mode first and foremost, and if Pristiq gives me the same problems as Cymbalta, I can think about a switch to WB later on.

My relationship went to hell and there was a big, nasty breakup. We are back together, but 11 years of undiagnosed ADD has caused a big mess that has to be cleaned up. The major stressor is that we took on too much and have to get those things off our plates--NOW! I've got myself worried into a frenzy and I feel like I'm trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun! The "what-if" stuff is playing so much in my head right now that I'm having a really hard time being productive--at a time when I really have to be "on."

That's why I'm thinking Pristiq really would be a better way to go. If the side effects are there, I'll just have to worry about that later. Sounds like trying WB right now might just put me over the edge! My situation's a lot like yours Hollywood--I don't have a lot of time to be adjusting to medications, PLUS, I have to make a decision quickly. It's a gamble, since I know the CB activated me, and did so pretty quickly, but it looks like most people are adjusting to Pristiq very quickly too, and I adjusted to CB the same way Yellow adjusted to Pristiq, with the yawning, etc. but it only lasted a few days. So why do the Cymbalta again when I already know it's not "the one."

I'm just thinking out loud now, reaffirming my thoughts.

I think I've come to a pretty sound conclusion and you guys really helped me get there. Since I didn't have the facts that you've given me, I probably would have pondered it so long that I would have spent forever with the what if's and probably still not get it right!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
Old 06-30-09, 03:35 PM

sounds legit roody, strange how you say cymbalta activated you. I felt okay on cymbalta but after two weeks I was getting pretty sleepy, could have been allergies. It's tough to acess when you have adhd up to your ears and have alot of stress. Remember the efficacy for treatment is much better for those with adhd when they find the proper adjunct because it takes the stress down and then you find yourself focusing well again. I wish cymbalta activated me, I found it okay at 20mg but felt a bit sleepy at times then at times I was not all that sleepy. Just tough to figure out if it was wrong but it put me right to sleep. I hate meds, but I have limited choices with adhd.
Old 06-30-09, 05:31 PM

Well Hollywood, here's something really nutty to add that's blowing my mind. I divided a 60 mg Cymbalta last night like that other poster on a different thread had said. I took a third of it, shooting for 20 mg. This, of course, before Yellow had me sold on the Pristiq, or I wouldn't have even done it.

I didn't go to bed till 4:30 a.m. so I woke up pretty groggy at 11 this morning. I took a 20 mg adderall and have been totally in the groove ever since, and haven't yet needed to take any more adderall--it's only been 4 1/2 hours, but usually whatever I get from adderall, if anything, lasts maybe an hour. It's unbelievable to me that 20 mg of Cymbalta could have that effect on me immediately, but Adderall alone isn't like this at all! I had the "action" part that was missing with the Adderall alone. I also didn't get it from Adderall and Zoloft combined (if anything, that combo made it worse.) Today, I was able to say "OK, I have to do a, b, c, d," then simply do it without running around in circles or ending up sidetracked online all day--the only reason I'm on here now is lunch and waiting for a phone call, then I'll be back to business. I did have a brief period where I was pretty amped up, but yesterday I wouldn't even have felt 20 mg.

As I said before, there was a brief period when I started Adderall where it overlapped with Cymbalta, but I honestly don't even remember how long that period was, and I knew nothing at that time about supplementation. PLUS I drank tons of soda and coffee and NEVER drank water. I've changed all of that and I'm sure that's relevant.

I just hope it's not a fluke, but I really don't think it is. I guess we'll know tomorrow!

I still want to try Pristiq, and Hollywood, maybe that one will be just right for you. I guess the part I really want to understand is what causes the apparent synergy with the SNRI/stimulant combo--at least for you and me Yellow and maybe you too Hollywood. Does the stimulant take away something that the NE gives back, or is it that with Adderall primarily affecting dopamine, you're getting all bases covered? In reading the Stahl book, my conclusion about myself (again, no science background here at all, so no makin' fun of me!) was that I was deficient everywhere! And is that deficiency what makes us ADD??

Gotta run. Will tune in again later!
Old 07-01-09, 12:28 AM
Contributor

from what hollywood says, pristiq is very different from cymbalta, again based on my experience with pristiq. if u can get the free promotional supply, try it. otherwise, maybe ask for the cheapest generic of zoloft or prozac or remeron or something. work out with the doc for ur best option and cheapest price.

HEY TOM, update us, dont just take all ur info, get what u want and disappear, YOU OWE ME this much! nah kid, just playin. hows ur medication working out so far, i think were all interested.

peace bredren
Old 07-01-09, 01:11 AM

Yeah--I've been wondering about Tom too...

Prescription cost is only a temporary issue for me--ultimately, I'm just looking for the BEST treatment. It would be pretty tough to top the synergy I had today--although the second dose of adderall lessened my motivation. I suspect because I had only had the one 20 mg Cymbalta dose, and it had simply worn off by the end of the day. I went ahead and took another 20 mg of Cymbalta, and voila, I was ready to get moving again. It's really nice to be in a position where I can use myself as a lab rat and observe the results without much distraction!

I just discovered biopsychiatry.com from another thread. I'm busy flooding my brain over there...
Old 07-01-09, 06:36 PM

tom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nice

yo guys i posted a longgg post before and i dont know if it just didnt get posted yet or if it got deleted so -_-