ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 05-25-09, 11:22 AM

merovingian is on a distinguished road
Re: snri (pristiq) with desoxyn . kinda long but please look if u can help at all,tha

Yellow - Stop spamming the same question in 10 different topics on the forum, it's annoying and inconsiderate.

Vitamin C deficiency can increase exposure to neurotoxicitiy so make sure you have enough in your system in addition to the 5-htp and an L-tyrosine.

I recommend taking breaks on the weekends from desoxyn.

I'm not a doctor, here is my pretend advice which you would be advised to run by a real doctor first before making any important decisions...

As far as I understand how mdma works is that when you run too low on serotonin you start risking enzyme break down into H2O2 which is of course toxic to the brain. (my understanding of this theory maybe dated but best described here) It would seem to make sense and I have no idea if it's true but if you feel a strong "come down" from the desoxyn than you might not be producing enough serotonin or dopamine to keep up with the levels which your medications are causing them to be spent or you have been on the medication for too long without a break causing a tolerence issue. Taking weekend breaks seem to do a good job of reducing tolerence build up but I would still rotate another med/take a longer vacation every few months.

At some point one might find it easier to get desired results from some sort of ssri and/or dri combined with Desoxyn. Say you take Focalin (DRI) to intensify the dopaminergic effects relating to concentration requiring less desoxyn to get similar results. It would seem this would be the solution to reduce the seratonin dump by simply reducing the amount desoxyn and dopamine production required to achieve "optimal clinical response". The SSRI on the otherhand seems as though it may do little to curb a seratonin depletion caused by Desoxyn while on Desoxyn, however, during the phase where you are not on desoxyn the SSRI should help keep seratonin levels up reducing neurotoxicity. Also, (based on information in the link above) the SSRI may reduce the chances of serotonin transporters removing dopamine from the synapse and being broken down into H2O2. Again, that MDMA neurotoxicitiy theory could be dated.

With that said, I'd take what leads you gather here and varify any important facts before presenting it to an actual doctor.
Old 05-30-09, 01:54 AM
Contributor

Yellow will become famous soon enough
Re: snri (pristiq) with desoxyn . kinda long but please look if u can help at all,tha

interesting points. and i posted a few times to get a response...finally got one.

thanks for the info, and i still think dex is fine for now for me after thinking more. when it doesnt work, then ill ask about this, but after this last past, i think the question is satisfied.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow For This Useful Post:
tom2228 (06-06-09)
Old 06-06-09, 03:47 PM

tom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nice

Yellow - I just want to say thank you so much for your posts in this thread. I've realized more and more lately that the stimulants have been covering up the depression I've had for a couple months -- so severe that I simply feel nothing, devoid of pleasure, but hard to tell is there since it's been shrouded by the false sense of well-being the stimulants create. I've been too afraid to do anything about it because ADs haven't worked for me before.. "nothing will," I thought. But your posts inspired me; finally after all this time you've found something that works for you, and that gave me hope. So I called my doctor and a half hour ago just picked up my script for Zoloft -- I really think it will work for me.

I've been on Dex since switching from Adderall on 6/3; today is day 4 and it's been a beautiful calm that's helped me sort out my thoughts. Could you possibly tell me more about Zoloft (I know it's an SSRI, I've been on Lexapro and Prozac), and the Zoloft + Dex combo -- what can I expect? Thank you so much..

p.s. thanks to you too hollywood for getting the discussion started

Last edited by tom2228; 06-06-09 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: thanking hollywood
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-09, 07:47 PM
Contributor

Zoloft is the best SSRI IMO. It has two unique properties: it has dopamine reuptake inhibition and high affinity for sigma-1 receptors (aside from serotonin).

It should be a great combo, I think an SNRI would be better or zoloft + strattera, to get norepinpehrine added.

try it out man. if pristiq didnt work for me, i was goin on zoloft, simply. i would have probably added strattera at some point, but def zolfot is my #1 ssri choice, i just happened to love pristiq cuz it worked faster and better than any other meds ive ever tried.

all in all, i think youll find it works well. pm me if u need more info.
tom2228 (06-06-09)
Old 06-07-09, 02:08 AM
Contributor

btw, the reason i mentioned the unique aspects is cuz 1)slight DRI might be useful, for neuroadjustments before/during/after doses, mind you, slight slgiht DRI, like i wouldnt combine dex with focalin or wellbutrin.2)the sigma enigma is called such because it has anti anxiety and anti psychotic effects that are kinda like benzos i guess. totally unrelated, but i mean, it has that subtle touch that might be of help. i also like the cartoon of the little rock/egg?
tom2228 (06-07-09)
Old 06-07-09, 10:21 AM

tom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nice

Right, I've heard about its affinity for DA transporters, but would that effect be noticeable at low doses such as 25mg-50mg? I just started so I have no idea how I'll react yet, but side-effects of SSRIs have bothered me before; my Prozac dose was 10mg and still bothered me.

Another thing I'm worried about is the numbing/flattening effect I got with Lexapro and Prozac. Except, most of the reason I need an AD right now is that I'm not feeling much of anything (no pleasure, motivation, interests, nothing's affecting me be it good or bad).. will Zoloft help bring back my interests and pleasure or will it just numb the little that's left?

I've read somewhere that people on SSRIs feel greater stimulant effects of amphetamine, can you verify this? Do SSRIs + Dex have any other synergistic effects that you know of?
Old 06-07-09, 04:06 PM
Contributor

synergy, thats subjective. zoloft has neuroprotective elements and anxioyltic effects, its activating as opposed to the sedating AD's.

your right, 50mg of zolof would hardly have much DA effect, but it might be useful for your brain's benefit (safety)

no, you dont get any greater effects, but you will have a smoother, cleaner feeling and in that sense, better effects
Old 06-07-09, 05:24 PM

Okay.. it's 5:20 now and i took the first pill at 9am.. i am ANGRY. I'm never angry like this. Just yelled at my mom and I love her dearly. I feel all numbed out already, like every little thing is p***ing me off, f*** it all, i dont care, etc. I felt similar to this on lexapro.. my thoughts are already messed up I feel like if i stay on this my real self will be locked in an SSRI cage and i'll be left with the numb angry kid who doesnt give a sh*t about life, people, emotions, GOOD things in life. What do i do :/
Old 06-07-09, 08:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

it takes weeks to start working though. Placebo is in effect now, that or startup side effects. I'd ignore it and continue
Old 06-07-09, 10:10 PM
Contributor

yeah i gota go wit hollywood on dat, one 25mg pill of zoloft wouldnt do all that man. i think u might be angry about takin the pill (as i was). took me years to accept that i needed meds, YEARS, and recently, it has taken me months to finally consistently take them as scheduled, as opposed to takin them, stoppin, startin again, etc.....

dont hate the meds..... hate yourself. just kidding lol. meds are just a tool to help, thats all man. u can always stop, and zoloft is a very safe drug, definitely one of the safest of the AD's. dont be afraid of it for any reason

EXCEPT....

if it is actually the pill, then you may have a serious issue on your hands. if tomorrow, your feelings dont change or improve a little, then i think you should get in touch with ur doctor asap, like call before the office closes and see what to do.

i wouldnt say dont take it tomorrow because im not a doc. at the sametime, not taking it since its ur second day, will have zero impact or problems at all. i would definitely give it a few days/weeks to see if things get better, dont just quit right away cuz u havent received any therapeutic effects at all..

POINT: take ur pill tomorrow as prescribed, call your doctor's office immediately and see if u can go in or at least find out whats goin on
Old 06-07-09, 11:01 PM

Thanks guys, I actually called my doc after I made that post, he called back 20 mins later (wow!), and we decided I'd just stop and check back with him on Tuesday once it's cleared. I think I was buggin out b/c my dex had worn off, and i stress a lot about everything if i dont take it.. once i did i calmed down and was feeling better, so I'm going to take it tomorrow morning and give it a chance to work.

I know it takes weeks to work and i know about placebo, but honestly i feel a lot different today. I went out to the movies tonight and I actually felt some emotions, I felt quicker, more interested in things, more relaxed, better focus. In fact, my focus on the movie was INCREDIBLE, very intense. The movie was Terminator, really action-packed, but honestly i felt the dex was stronger than normal. I actually came home and got started right on my homework, very unlike me.

I'm pretty sensitive to meds. Is it possible i'm getting a sneak peek to the Zoloft's therapeutic effects or are start-up effects totally different? I also began running again yesterday (tired of sitting on my a**) and ran today too, can exercize really affect things in such a short term?
Old 06-08-09, 01:18 AM
Contributor

idk. i hope its workin already, it usually takes a while to see a difference but if youve noticed it that soon, very good. wait a while, 2 weeks+ and then report back. ull know then if theres any real diffrence, and three months is the real key. but pristiq began to work within a few days for me so it might be workin for u already...time.
Old 06-08-09, 10:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

tom ,

you are taking zoloft though and not pristiq, also why did you start the zoloft if your adhd meds are working to perfection
Old 06-08-09, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
idk. i hope its workin already, it usually takes a while to see a difference but if youve noticed it that soon, very good. wait a while, 2 weeks+ and then report back. ull know then if theres any real diffrence, and three months is the real key. but pristiq began to work within a few days for me so it might be workin for u already...time.
yeah, i am one who changes his mind every 5 seconds so i've already promised myself to stop second-guessing and just give it a shot til at least the 23rd (my next appt). weirdly, i do feel much different already in a lot of ways (experiencing some emotions and slight return of interests) but i know the effect on my mood is yet to come. i'm very strange though, extremely metacognitive -- i am always thinking about what im thinking (and with my ADHD this never stops lol) so i notice when just a few miligrams of substance have found their way into my brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
tom ,

you are taking zoloft though and not pristiq, also why did you start the zoloft if your adhd meds are working to perfection
yea i understand that, there is a wealth of info on this thread tho. the dex is great, especially since i feel like myself, no side effects except appetite... but even when it's long worn off i have no appetite b/c i've lost all my interest in food and i dont feel any pleasure from eating -- which is the case with everything else. im not sad or anything, i just have no desire to do anything, ive lost touch with myself b/c i feel no depth of emotion. from the outside i look pretty happy, social and being enthusiastic, lauging, but i dont feel any pleasure or emotion from any of it.. its not even that im faking it at all -- im acting and interacting normally but for some reason my brain isn't doing any emotional processing. detatched is a good word.

before i got adhd meds i would have extreme stress and anxiety b/c i was highly motivated to do everything the best i could, but i struggled and had to work so hard to compensate for my symptoms. with the stims i can concentrate well on whatever i have to do but this now and for the past few months this has been practically useless since im not doing any of my work or studying a wink -- ive got no motivation or desire to do it, its neither stimulating nor interesting anymore. when i first started stims in december all i wanted to do was schoolwork, it made me euphoric bc i could finally do it! i want that part of me back. a plus side is i dont feel any emotional pain, just a sense of calm and false well-being, but there's no contentment or "happiness" with my life

basically: my (adhd) meds are finally working but i seem to have shut down. i am pretty much a zombie underneath the d-amp on the surface. if i were a car, its my engine is revving (the dex) but i'm stuck in neutral -- im not going anywhere even though i've got the new engine (adhd meds) that ive needed my whole life.. hopefully the zoloft will put things in motion
Old 06-08-09, 11:54 PM
Contributor

i dont think you mentioned what brand of dex you use, but your reaction sounds like something ive felt. it came from $h!tty pills: 10mg barr. i changed to 5mg barr thanks to a thread started by a guy named lars regaurding 5mg barr, and he tried and has scripts to almost all of the different meds (generic and brand) and said that barr 5mg is as smooth as they come, as smooth as original brand name GSK dexedrine, if not better i think. i found this to be true as well, after trying about 4 or 5 brands/types.

list your medications