ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-09, 06:55 AM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy ergh, psychological testing for possible jobs... what do i tell my doc?

darn. i just got a letter, they want to do psychological testing (intelligence, imagination, memory, mathematics, linguistics - and the standard tests for concentration etc.) on the 4th of may, so basically in TWO WEEKS.

im supposed to go into an apprenticeship end of summer, when all of those start. i told them at the job agency i was currently trying drugs for adhd, and they understood, but i was told psychological testing would have to be done latest as of end of may, or it'd be too late to find me an apprenticeship.

they obviously corrected that to 'beginning of may', as today's letter reads.

so i have an appointment at my doc on monday. i took an NRI (reboxetine) for the last three weeks in full dosage. it made me calmer and less impulsive, but had no influence on concentration or anything. my doc said he wants to switch me to different medication if i think things are not improving with the NRI.

i'm scared he may want to try something like wellbutrin first. wellbutrin takes weeks or in some cases even months to work right, correct?
i dont have time for that. and if wellbutrin f***s me up as much as the NRI did in the first week, i will score 70 on any IQ test etc. and end up working in a facility for retarded people. I DO NOT WANT THAT.

as from what i've read here, the chances of a stimulant influencing an ADD mind in a good way are the greatest in all drugs available.
and, methylphenidate would also start to work as intended almost immediately or just in a few days, is that correct? or am i wrong about this?

so i want to ask my doctor for methylphenidate right away. not sure if i should... should i just explain things to him like i did type out here?
i dont wanna sound like somebody with a craving for drugs... and stimulants are hard to get here in germany, no doctor really likes prescribing them.
(a lot of complicated stuff law-wise, special prescriptions, etc. etc., a lot of trouble basically)

darn. i think if he wants to put me on another antidepressant or something, i will just quit all drugs so i am 'sober' for the psychological testing, i think. without any drugs (during my adhd diagnosis) i at least scored an IQ of 115 and 'above average' (usually within top 20%) on visual/spatial, logic etc. tests. although i feel that's not 100% of what i can do in theory, that'd be better than qualifying as an idiot just because i am dealing with major side effects from a new drug.

sigh, not sure how to deal with this situation in the best possible manner...
Old 04-18-09, 10:18 AM
Forum ADDvocate

cwatca will become famous soon enough
Re: ergh, psychological testing for possible jobs... what do i tell my doc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by γ-quantum View Post
darn. i just got a letter, they want to do psychological testing (intelligence, imagination, memory, mathematics, linguistics - and the standard tests for concentration etc.) on the 4th of may, so basically in TWO WEEKS.
When I was in college, I felt like the program that I was in wasn't right for me so I talked to my counsellor about doing a career test, it was something that she mentioned. I had to do an aptitude test, a personality test, and a career directions inventory

One of the tests that I took was an Aptitude Test. I don't know if it's going to be like that test that you're going to take, but I was tested on:
  • Verbal Reasoning - How well you can understand ideas expressed in words
    - How clearly you can think and reason with words
  • Numerical Ability - How well you understand ideas expressed in numbers
    -How clearly you can think and reason with numbers
  • Abstract Reasoning - How well you understand ideas that are not presented in words or numbers
    -How well you think out problems even when there are no words to guide you
  • Mechanical Reasoning - How easily do you grasp the common principles of physics as you use them in everyday things about you
    -How well do you understand the laws governing simple machinery, tools, and bodies in motion
  • Space Relations - How well can you visualize, or form mental pictures of, solid objects from looking at flat paper plans
    -How well can you think in three dimensions
When I did the Aptitude Tests, it helped me understand my abilities a bit better. To know what my strengths and weaknesses are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by γ-quantum View Post
im supposed to go into an apprenticeship end of summer, when all of those start. i told them at the job agency i was currently trying drugs for adhd, and they understood, but i was told psychological testing would have to be done latest as of end of may, or it'd be too late to find me an apprenticeship.
When I did my testing and got my career directions inventory report, a my results all pointed me in the direction of doing something in the office. That's not the program I was in. I was in Early Childhood Education, where I was working with children.

When you do your testing, I think it would help you think about your future career and what you want to do. It would probably help you choose what you want to do for your apprenticeship, something that will suit you.
Old 04-18-09, 10:57 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatca View Post
When you do your testing, I think it would help you think about your future career and what you want to do. It would probably help you choose what you want to do for your apprenticeship, something that will suit you.
thanks for your reply, cwatca. yeah, i dont think the test is a bad thing either; it's just that i dont think i should go there totally wasted. i shouldnt drink for a whole night and show up with no sleep, saying 'awwrrrighhht less doh this tescht thiing *hic*', because i'd score very low and the outcome would probably be that i can work as a cleaner under supervision or as a scavenger. well, and the first week i was on an NRI i was so badly influenced by the drug, i was as stubborn as if i had been drinking 15 pints due to the side effects of the drug.

so, i wonder how i should ask my doc about methylphenidate on monday (as the NRI is showing insufficient effects); just tell him the whole stuff as it is? i dont wanna sound like im craving for drugs.
i think mph works almost instantly or within days, right?

because if he'd put me on something like wellbutrin, it can be weeks or even months until i feel the good effects from it, and i may have to bear with the side effects during that time... which would at worst mean going to the test on wellbutrin == going to the test after a night of drinking 15 pints.

with mph, i would know if it works or not within a few days, if i understood that correctly... so if it doesnt work, i have enough time to quit all medication and go to the test 'sober' at least, which will be worse than with the right medication but much better than with side effects that equal to being totally drunk (as for mental impairment).

hmmm, i think i just repeated myself and didnt get my point across any better, now did i...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-09, 07:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

my testing made me feel like a huge idiot
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
Old 04-19-09, 02:51 AM

mikeglee21 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I don't have any real experience in this, but I would probably just be frank with your doctor. Tell him that the anti-depressants aren't working and that you have done a little research and found that the best solution to ADD/ADHD has been found to be stimulants, and you would like to seriously give them a try.
Lets see if anyone else agrees with me, but it seems logical to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeglee21 For This Useful Post:
γ-quantum (04-19-09)
Old 04-19-09, 04:17 AM
Contributor

thanks mikeglee21,
yeah, probably the best bet...
i think i will tell him the NRI doesnt work and then wait what he has to say, and if he suggests another antidepressant, tell him about the psychological testing and the stuff i read about stimulants. ergh, im getting pretty nervous about it, hope i dont screw it up...