ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-08, 06:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,484 Times in 752 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future
Not sure how this one is gonna fly here...

I found this website on "harm reduction" for amphedimines.

..........ALL AMPHEDIMINES.

TO ME, there is not responsible intelligent way to do meth.
..........it's like telling someone how to drink bleech responsibly.

they also cover ADHD meds..in fact that's what the link goes to.

http://www.speedsmart.org/index.php?page=150

Syd Barrett
The Following User Says Thank You to SuzzanneX For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-14-08)
Old 07-14-08, 06:14 PM

SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future
Re: Not sure how this one is gonna fly here...

...please, just delete this if it's of no use to this board.

I'm not trying to be wayward, or anything.
......it's seems on topic, and I found it interesting.

that's all.

Syd Barrett
Old 07-14-08, 07:06 PM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Suzi-Q, I've only checked out one of the links and I found this pertinent and interesting:

In the study, 500 adults who had been diagnosed with ADHD were matched for age and gender with 501 adults in the general population. In a 25-minute telephone interview, all the participants in the study were asked questions about school performance, substance abuse, driving records, use of tobacco, problems in the workplace, marital problems and problems with other relationships, their satisfaction with key aspects of their lives and their general outlook on life.
Participants in the study were evenly split between men and women. They were drawn from all over the country and included people from urban, suburban and rural areas. Of those with ADHD, about half had been diagnosed before they were 13 years old. More than one third (35 percent), however, had not been diagnosed until after age 18. Of those who had children, more than half reported that one or more of their children had also been diagnosed with ADHD. Only 36 percent of the adults with ADHD surveyed reported that they were taking a prescription medication for the disorder.

"These preliminary results underscore the importance of recognizing and understanding the problems faced by adults with ADHD," Dr. Biederman said. "It is striking that it appears that only about a third of those in the survey who have been diagnosed with ADHD are being treated appropriately. Better identification and treatment of adults with ADHD can improve lives and save Americans billions of dollars every year."

Phaedrus

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
Black Razor (03-08-09), meadd823 (07-23-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-08, 02:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

prtsimmons is a jewel in the roughprtsimmons is a jewel in the roughprtsimmons is a jewel in the rough

I found this interesting, too:

"Only 36 percent of the adults with ADHD surveyed reported that they were taking a prescription medication for the disorder.

"These preliminary results underscore the importance of recognizing and understanding the problems faced by adults with ADHD," Dr. Biederman said. "It is striking that it appears that only about a third of those in the survey who have been diagnosed with ADHD are being treated appropriately. Better identification and treatment of adults with ADHD can improve lives and save Americans billions of dollars every year."

Basically, they are equating 'appropriate treatment' to medication. I don't have any objection to the idea of medication as an appropriate treatment, but I hardly think it is the only one. Even the most scrip-happy doctors recommend diet, exercise, cognitive therapy, coaching, etc.

I find it very disturbing that the only 'appropriate' treatment is a mind-altering chemical. I can't shake the feeling that we are gradually being brainwashed into thinking there is a pill for everything... and if you don't take your pill, you are socially unacceptable.
Old 07-15-08, 03:03 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

The problem is in our mind... what good does non-mind stuff really able to help beyond general helpfulness in the general population.
Old 07-15-08, 03:04 PM

Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtsimmons View Post
I find it very disturbing that the only 'appropriate' treatment is a mind-altering chemical. I can't shake the feeling that we are gradually being brainwashed into thinking there is a pill for everything... and if you don't take your pill, you are socially unacceptable.
The article is a scientific discussion. According to studies, medication works. It's been known for a long time that behavior management alone was not as successful as medication alone. The combination of medication and behavior therapy is a win, win situation for people who respond to medication.

I am definitely not brain washed and I forgave society a long time ago.

Phaedrus

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (07-15-08), goddessonahiway (12-20-08), Maurice (07-15-08)
Old 07-15-08, 05:29 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to behold

I find it hard to imagine that the other 64% is going unmedicated! I certainly do not envy them.
Imnapl (07-23-08)
Old 07-15-08, 05:32 PM

Thanked 10,443 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
The article is a scientific discussion. According to studies, medication works. It's been known for a long time that behavior management alone was not as successful as medication alone. The combination of medication and behavior therapy is a win, win situation for people who respond to medication.

I am definitely not brain washed and I forgave society a long time ago.
I agree.

The giant MTA longitudinal study showed clearly that the single most effective thing you can do for adhd is medication. Overshadows any therapy: behavioral, cognitive and any other method you can think of (pretty much all were tried). This came as somewhat of a surprise to therapists but the evidence was clear. Therapy does have an effect but is nowhere near the power of medication. Therapy is quite useful but except in the milder cases not enough alone. Medication plus therapy is shown to be probably the best combination.

I am not fond of medicating kids either but the evidence is there and is clear. No one should take my word for it, check it out.

Dizfriz

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-15-08)
Old 07-15-08, 05:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

prtsimmons is a jewel in the roughprtsimmons is a jewel in the roughprtsimmons is a jewel in the rough

I certainly am not saying that medication doesn't work, or that it isn't an appropriate treatment for ADD/ADHD. The article clearly equates 'appropriate treatment' with medication, however. It assumes that the 64% who are not medicated are not being treated and are not productive. Well, I have seen psychiatrists and MDs, and I have discussed my 'treatment' several times, and I made an informed decision (with the consultation of family and professionals) to not go on drugs. I have a decent job and numerous extracurricular activities and a fiancee and I am involved in a lot of creative and cooperative projects (some of them even get finished!). However, I am clearly not being 'effectively' treated because I am not on prescription drugs. (This is exactly what the article states: 36% of ADHD patients are being treated with drugs; the other 64% are NOT being treated effectively.)

The fact that medication is effective does not mean it is the only way to get the job done.
Old 07-15-08, 06:10 PM

I was technically un medicated till i was 38.
.....I did'nt know I was ADHD and did meth, and for about 20 years
I was a functional addict.

I bet a big part of the "un medicated" are self medicating.

that's kinda what I thought might be taboo here is it's a "harm reduction" site
for addicts as well.

....personally, I could'nt read when I was in active addiction.
I could'nt absorb what i was reading.

I'm on 90% intuition now.

.....that's why my posting structure is weird to most people.

so i can read what i write.

Syd Barrett
The Following User Says Thank You to SuzzanneX For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-15-08)
Old 07-15-08, 07:46 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to behold

Yes there is always more than one way to get the job done.
I prefer to take the best proven course when I want to get the job. I got the job done for way to long and way too difficult doing it "my own way." I am very happy with the added heop that my meds give me. The difference is night and day. I also try not to knock something that I haven't tried.
Imnapl (07-15-08)
Old 07-15-08, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

newfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of light

I went to the link and it appears the site is under construction..... W&F?
Old 07-15-08, 10:25 PM

Here you go Newf.

I'll copy the whole article in case this link
goes dead. After some of the discussions today, I think this article definitely has merit.

New analysis cites economic impact of ADHD

NEW YORK-- A new analysis of a large-scale survey released today estimates yearly household income losses due to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) within the U.S. at $77 billion, according to Harvard researcher, Joseph Biederman, M.D., co-author of the study. "With this large-scale study we were able to control for personal and family characteristics, including characteristics closely tied to ADHD status to arrive at our estimate of yearly household income losses due to the condition," said Dr. Biederman, a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and chief of clinical and research programs in pediatric psychopharmacology and adult ADHD at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Mass. "Our study shows the problems faced by people with ADHD, associated with every aspect of life, ranging from school difficulties to emotional difficulties to problems in the workplace have enormous economic impact."
Eight million adult Americans are estimated to struggle with the inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity of ADHD. Dr. Biederman spoke today at an American Medical Association media briefing on ADHD in New York City.
"Our survey shows that ADHD is a highly disabling disorder with a significant effect on a broad range of areas of functioning, including education and employment," Dr. Biederman said. "Even when matched for educational levels, ADHD individuals with a high school degree earn significantly less than their non-ADHD counterparts. On average, those with ADHD have household incomes that are about $10,791 lower for high school graduates and $4,334 lower for college graduates, compared to those who do not have ADHD."
"Adults with ADHD are less likely to have finished high school or to pursue further education," Dr. Biederman said. "Higher education was not only associated with an expected higher income, but was also associated with higher rates of full-time employment. We found that compared to high school education, those with a college degree were 20 percentage points more likely to have full-time employment. ADHD's effects on the ability to have full-time employment indirectly accounts for 17 percent of the projected $77 billion in losses due to ADHD."
"We saw that adults with ADHD had significant difficulties in the quality of their lives as well," he said. "They had higher divorce rates. Substance abuse was more common than in the control group. They reported a much lower level of satisfaction with all aspects of their lives. They were less likely to have a positive self-image or to be optimistic."
In the study, 500 adults who had been diagnosed with ADHD were matched for age and gender with 501 adults in the general population. In a 25-minute telephone interview, all the participants in the study were asked questions about school performance, substance abuse, driving records, use of tobacco, problems in the workplace, marital problems and problems with other relationships, their satisfaction with key aspects of their lives and their general outlook on life.
Participants in the study were evenly split between men and women. They were drawn from all over the country and included people from urban, suburban and rural areas. Of those with ADHD, about half had been diagnosed before they were 13 years old. More than one third (35 percent), however, had not been diagnosed until after age 18. Of those who had children, more than half reported that one or more of their children had also been diagnosed with ADHD. Only 36 percent of the adults with ADHD surveyed reported that they were taking a prescription medication for the disorder.
###
Media Advisory: To contact Joseph Biederman, M.D., contact Sue McGreevey at 617-724-2764 or at smcgreevey@partners.org. On the day of the briefing, call the AMA's Science News Department at 312-464-2410.

Phaedrus

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (07-16-08), newfdog (07-15-08)
Old 07-15-08, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

newfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the article... I could be the poster person.... It's H^$L to find out you have a 138 IQ and did not finish High School...
The Following User Says Thank You to newfdog For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-23-08)
Old 07-16-08, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Yes there is always more than one way to get the job done.
I prefer to take the best proven course when I want to get the job. I got the job done for way to long and way too difficult doing it "my own way." I am very happy with the added heop that my meds give me. The difference is night and day. I also try not to knock something that I haven't tried.

If i had only known there was a better way...
.....I would'nt have built an anti meth recovery board to scream it as
loud as I could to others who may not have known they were ADHD, would
see a doctor!
....I started at 17 years old.
if i had known and seen a dr.....I would be a commercial artist now.
.....but, I'm a meth addict instead.
that's what i spent my life studying.
......it's all I know, besides waitressing and cashiering.

My generations answer to ADHD
...was "sit down,pay attention and be quiet."

when I ran into the bytch that stole my life away...
.....tina promised to be the answer.
she turned on me, and I found she was a con artist, that fooled alot of
people.

the old bait and switch.
.....at first, all my difficulties keeping up, and staying focused were gone.
when I thought I knew what to expect, things changed for the worst.

ADD meds improve the quality of my life.
....meth darn near destroyed me.

all I got left is my soul.

....my sanity was replaced with insanity.
My ADHD became so severe, it crippled me mentally.

now..
...I HAVE TO TAKE DRUGS.
or i get in trouble with everyone i come in contact with.

family, work, friends....
.....that used to say:

suzie are you on drugs??

.........still say it.

but now they mean....I NEED to be on em.
....instead of i need to quit.

the irony.

Syd Barrett
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuzzanneX For This Useful Post:
Howard_C (12-21-08), Imnapl (07-23-08), Mincan (08-04-08)