ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-08, 10:29 PM

Figuro is on a distinguished road
Trouble reading and writing?

Am I the only one who has trouble reading and writing? Particularly, when I write long mails; I have to reread what I wrote 20x (not an exaggeration) to make sure I wrote it coherently. It makes it difficult to do my work; which mostly entails writing emails to clients and vendors. I'm real slow to write; and my job performance is being affected. Do other ADDers have this problem; or is it just me?
Old 04-15-08, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold
Re: Trouble reading and writing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figuro View Post
Am I the only one who has trouble reading and writing? Particularly, when I write long mails; I have to reread what I wrote 20x (not an exaggeration) to make sure I wrote it coherently. It makes it difficult to do my work; which mostly entails writing emails to clients and vendors. I'm real slow to write; and my job performance is being affected. Do other ADDers have this problem; or is it just me?
Have you been evaluated for any reading disabilites such as, dyslexia?

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 04-15-08, 10:38 PM

Thanked 1,018 Times in 641 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Good point, mary.

ADD affects organization, executive function, sequencing and working memory -- all of which are needed for reading comprehension and writing well.

If you are a better speaker (eg 100 wpm+) than handwriter (20 wpm+), or lose track where you are while handwriting, you MAY want to look into Dictation with a tape recorder or Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Using MindMap drawings ahead of time to organize your ideas/essay points/letter arguments on the page can also help -- if you are a "visual" person.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to QueensU_girl For This Useful Post:
Dreaming Again (05-02-08), kwalk (04-16-08), Mary (04-15-08), texasmissb (04-16-08), ~boots~ (04-15-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-08, 10:40 PM

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

You say you re-read a lot, but do you actually have to make any edits? Do you feel your writing has to be absolutely perfect?
Mary (04-15-08)
Old 04-15-08, 11:11 PM
Contributor

arkyle will become famous soon enough

If you have ADHD, that's the problem. I bet that you don't have that many mistakes but you read it 20x because you -read- but you are not -reading- or paying any attention at all; by the time you finish reading you don't remember a thing of what you read.

I only overcome this problem when I'm writing a school paper and have >2 hours to write it, bind it, return to campus, and run like a beheaded chicken to the prof's office or classroom. God I love it!
Old 04-15-08, 11:27 PM

4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about

maybe get it checked out. Do you find that what you are writing is not necesserily the same as you have it worded or pictured in your mind?

i have problems with reading and comprehending what i am reading. I can find that i read something easily but have to rethink it over and over for it to mean anything to me. Probably because I have to put it into an image in my mind..
is it similar kind of thing?
When writing I usually know what I want to say but cant formulate it into the correct words..so will rewrite it over and over til its as close as i think i can get it..
is it like that?
The Following User Says Thank You to 4gotAgain For This Useful Post:
Mary (04-16-08)
Old 04-16-08, 09:58 AM

pjhn is on a distinguished road

I also take forever to write something, but mainly because of distraction, which makes it necessary to re-read things in order to continue. This innevitably leads to correcting/changing what I first wrote.....then I get distracted again and on and on....

Reading can be a problem, but the issue is as described by arkyle - "reading" but actually thinking about something alse (reach the end of the page and cannot remember what I just read). This is never a problem, however, when I am really interested in what I am reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to pjhn For This Useful Post:
Mary (05-03-08)
Old 04-16-08, 08:06 PM
Contributor

MissAdhd is a jewel in the roughMissAdhd is a jewel in the roughMissAdhd is a jewel in the rough

I have ADHd and dyslexia.

reading is alright for me as i can jump over letters- i didn't learn how to read though until thr 4th grade - kind of late.

My writing skills, when i take my time are decent, but full of errors.. i miss alot of letters and confuse them if i dont spell check. - EVERYTHING
Old 04-29-08, 12:09 AM

AquarianAmber80 is on a distinguished road

I have this problem, too, which has made grad school nothing short of a Wes Craven nightmare! I know that part of my problem is anxiety. It's difficult under non-anxiety provoking situations, but when I am experiencing anxiety (or going through one of my anxiety disorder cycles), it becomes even harder to pull out the words, even though I understand what needs to be said. Both ADHD and anxiety impact executive functioning, especially working memory. The more we can't "get it out," the more anxious we feel, the worse our memory gets- (did I say that, already? was that clear? what's a better word for 'most awesomest'? etc.)- and the cycle repeats. In my experience, the kiss of death is perfectionism. ADHD, Anxiety, and Perfectionism.... it's like some sort of trifecta from hell.

I have not been very successful, so far, in dealing with this issue, so my advice is limited. My therapist has advised me to "not do that." (Very helpful!)
The Following User Says Thank You to AquarianAmber80 For This Useful Post:
Mary (05-03-08)
Old 05-02-08, 09:50 PM
Jr Member

mendicantsoul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figuro View Post
Am I the only one who has trouble reading and writing?
I am very quickly discovering that I have trouble reading, comprehending and formulating responses to readings.

I have never been a reader. I find reading boring, and depending on the type of reading, even raises my frustration and anger. If something is well written, flows logically, and does not take 10 pages to say what could be said in 1/2 a page, and it is of interest - then I find reading ok - it's just that this only applies to about 1% of the material I have to read. In the later case, the more difficult it is to read, the more distracted, frustrated and agitated I get, and the more likley I am to throw it accross the room.

I tend to pikc up a book, begin to read the first few pages, get bored, skip around the chapters reading a piece here and there, get over it and pick up another one. I have several books 'on the go' but never complete any of them.

When I read something challenging my brain goes these were the best of times these wore the worst of times blah blah blah blah as all the words begin to merge into one (not visually, but in my brain) and I just feel overloaded so I chuck it and leave it and get scared of coming back to it, or indeed any other reading - leaving my class work to the last minute - doing it at a time of pressure, yeah, what fun.

The other part of the issue is I seem to forget what I've read... I re-read the same thing heaps and still makes no sense or get a feeling that I've read it.

As for comprehending. When trying to formulate responses to the questions for the reading I seem to briefly have the answer in my head, then when trying to get it out onto the computer it gets lost. It is like I know what I want to say but it does not come out. This causes me and lecturers frustration as I tell them this and they say but you seem to have a good grasp of it when you talk about it.

I do manage to complete my assignments at the last possible minute, usually getting so close to the end, and so frustrated, that I submit a draft piece of work, I never have time to read and re do it. Even if I did, the process has been so toruturous that I wouldn't want to do it and hand in the first piece of writing anyways.

Nathan
Old 05-03-08, 12:01 AM
Jr Member

Dreaming Again is an unknown quantity at this point

I had trouble reading when I was not in a pressure situation. If I was casually reading, I would get into an endless loop, like a skipping record. However, if I were studying for an exam in college, I did not seem to have a problem, but it just dawned on me that when I crammed for an exam, I usually drank Mountain Dew or took No-Doze. This was pre-diagnosis. They day I started on Ritalin, this went away immediately. My wife could have the television on in the same room and I could read without a problem. I started reading a book a week.

When I was in elementary school, I would have trouble writing. I would start to write a word and I would skip letters, because my mind was going faster than I could write. However, this does not seem to be a problem so much today, since I believe I can type faster than I can write by hand.
Old 05-03-08, 12:11 AM
Jr Member

Dreaming Again is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendicantsoul View Post

I do manage to complete my assignments at the last possible minute, usually getting so close to the end, and so frustrated, that I submit a draft piece of work, I never have time to read and re do it. Even if I did, the process has been so toruturous that I wouldn't want to do it and hand in the first piece of writing anyways.

Nathan

One more thing. I had a similar problem with writing. Some one took the time to tell me prior to taking my college entrance exams to use the inside page of an essay book to create an outline. By creating the outline, it allowed you to organize your thoughts before you started writing. Then once you start, you can come back to the outline to make sure you are still on track. Also, the reader/grader can look at your outline and get an understanding of where you are going with your essay, in case it is hard to follow. This is very similar to Mind Mapping. I swear by Mind Maps now. I do this before every presentation, proposal, project that I do. I am in sales, so this is a lot.

As for waiting until the last minute, sure there are numerous strategies out there to get started sooner or break the work into small bites. This is all great, but I realized that some of my best work came during these times of hyper focus. So now rather than feel guilty about it, I embrace it. I expect more from myself during these times. I also tell myself that I have the ability to shine during these times, where others would give up.

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.
Old 05-03-08, 10:53 AM
Forum Guru

sloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of light

Figuro,

I understand the problems you described all too well. I don't know what to do about it, but currently I'm not working anyway. I guess the thing that makes me feel a little better is that I've usually done a very good job/excellent job - once I've finished, that is.

And I really can identify with what AquarianAmber described:

Quote:
". . . when I am experiencing anxiety (or going through one of my anxiety disorder cycles), it becomes even harder to pull out the words, even though I understand what needs to be said. Both ADHD and anxiety impact executive functioning, especially working memory. The more we can't "get it out," the more anxious we feel, the worse our memory gets- (did I say that, already? was that clear? what's a better word for 'most awesomest'? etc.)- and the cycle repeats. In my experience, the kiss of death is perfectionism. ADHD, Anxiety, and Perfectionism.... it's like some sort of trifecta from hell."

Figuro - if you're still around, I'd like to hear from you again. I wonder how it's going.

Sincerely,
Sue
Old 05-03-08, 03:33 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

headsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the rough

Does dyslexia present reading/writing problems all of the time?

Does ADHD present more reading/writing problems when less interested?

I have little problem reading interesting topics, but skip all over the place with less interesting topics, hardly remembering any of it. Its feels like the scrolling LED displays as seen in waiting areas etc, it scrolls in and vanishes......@'@'@...

However I'm normally hyperfocusing when I'm interested and that could be overcoming dyslexia perhaps?

My spelling is ok aswell, only normally making mistakes because I'm rushing.
Old 05-03-08, 03:50 PM

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Try using plastic overlays... for your reading. There are several posts here in the forums...about it helping with those who have dyslexia. A gray tinted lense eyeglasses is also helpful... if you can't find the posts... let me know. I'll help look for them.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.