ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > International Referrals > United Kingdom
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-06, 07:54 AM
Jr Member

funkymonkey is on a distinguished road
Debbie
Aged 26
Currently living in Oxford
Worked at an ADHD camp in America because I wanted to learn more
Always felt "different" - disorganised, scatty, impulsive
Looking into it at the mo - not sure either way.
Thinking about seeing a Dr to at least ask...
Not holding out much hope for help from them though!
Old 09-21-06, 04:53 PM
Jr Member

tiggy100 is on a distinguished road
This is my first message as I've only just realised that there is a UK forum. I've no idea how to use this but thought I'd stop thinking about doing it and just do it!! I'm 43 and was diagnosed last year with ADD at the Maudsley in London. Only trouble is, it took me months to make an appointment with my doctor to discuss meds, then another 6 weeks to actually take them (story of my life). I think ADD/ADHD runs in my family and I could definately trace it back to my grandmother and my father, plus my 2 brothers (although none of them were ever diagnosed). I have 4 kids and 1 of them is diagnosed, although I suspect one of my older boys missed out. I'm at uni and have struggled and muddled through 3 years and am going back for a year to complete work I've got behind on. It has been one hell of a struggle..........my life has been such a struggle. Concerta is helping but I'm still trying to find the right dose etc. Anyone else taking concerta?
Old 09-24-06, 05:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

xstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of light
Hi tiggy100, welcome to the forum, they are a good lot in here and they do help, they,ve helped me alot, i know it's a big forum but just bear with it, if you get lost i click on my username and read where i put my last posts lol good luck
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 02:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

munky_do will become famous soon enough
Helloo..

My name is Michelle, I'm 21 years old, living in York.
I'm from Canada but am living with my non-ADD boyfriend here
I was diagnosed with ADD (hyperactive/inattentive combo type) when I was 17
Am currently taking Dexedrine
working full-time as an administrative assistant (which I'm definitely not suited for, I'm only in it for the money at this point, thank god for medication)
I was in an animation program but found I was too restless (it involves heavy hours) and I figured I should see a bit of the world first and have some fun so I'll be ready to focus on school again when I move back to Canada with my boyfriend.

I'm a classic scatterbrain, especially off the meds... one minute I'm drifting off into space, the next I'm dancing like a maniac, and then I'll spend two hours on a drawing or listening to music, playing piano.
I come off as really shy and probably a little awkward, easygoing...but really I'm passionate about so many things, but I have to really trust and have gotten to really talk to a person before I let any of that out. I have to watch out off the meds that I don't blurt things out though.

Just want to be able to count on myself and have clarity of mind to pursue the things I love and become really good at them... I can hyperfocus for a few days or so but I envy people that can stick it out for months and months and at the same time keep all the little details in check.

I am extremely jealous of:
People who always have clean laundry
People who always manage to look impeccably groomed.
People who can party hard yet still have an easy time with school.
People who make friends easily.
People with beautiful houses rooms that manage to keep theirs clean.
and finally, people who always manage to say the right things..

well that's me, I try not to ramble but being a typist it's easy to let your fingers do your thinking!
Old 09-25-06, 07:05 PM

Tarajames is on a distinguished road
Hi,
My name is Tara, living in Belfast. Suspect my 4 year old son has ADHD, would have to wait till next spring to be seen on NHS, so going private and he ahs first appointment this Wed 27/09/06.
Old 09-28-06, 08:00 PM
Banned

Qtip has disabled reputation
I'm from Glasgow, only recently realised I had adhd after years of psychiatrists and nonsense.
I feel empowered now that I know, and don't feel like such a freak of nature around normal people anymore.

I'm still waiting for the official dx, but frankly couldnt give a toss as I'm not interested in whatever drugs they try and push on me, had enough of their crap over the years to last me a lifetime.

Currently I'm applying for jobs, and taking a somewhat sick pleasure in ticking the box for the disability act, meaning I get an interview as long as I meet minimum qualification requirements.
No idea what I'm going to do if I actually get a job, I can barely make it out of bed most days and buses continue to be the bane of my life but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...
Old 10-01-06, 04:23 PM

xstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of light
Hi munky do, welcome to the forum from me, i hear ya......I am extremely jealous of:
People who always have clean laundry
People who always manage to look impeccably groomed.
People who can party hard yet still have an easy time with school.
People who make friends easily.
People with beautiful houses rooms that manage to keep theirs clean.
and finally, people who always manage to say the right things..

I feel the same

Hi tara, also welcome to the forums good luck with your appointment!!
Old 01-23-07, 09:10 AM
Jr Member

ryansmom is on a distinguished road
hi my names lynne and i live in nottingham
Old 02-08-07, 02:18 PM

Tarajames is on a distinguished road
Hi,
My name is Tara, living in Belfast, Northern Ireland , and I have a son who turned 5 last November and was diagnosed at around the same time.
Old 02-08-07, 05:51 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92...DX_WELCOME.png

Welcome to ADDF! Tarajames
Old 03-04-07, 10:17 AM

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,509 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Folks

I'm kilted, mid 40's living in the Central Belt of Scotland. Awaiting referral, but after doing the research I'm fairly certain it'll be positive......I tick so many of the boxes.....and my partner is quite relieved that there's something we can put our finger on to try to sort out why I'm not able to function normally in some situations yet can achieve so much in others.

As I've said in other posts I've self medicated with alcohol since well before it was legal, I've screwed up jobs without number, have friends who respect me for who I am, and I feel very sick at the end of the month when the bank statement arrives.
Old 03-05-07, 03:19 AM
Jr Member

nannyogg is on a distinguished road
Hi!

Hi my name is Vicky, I live in East Devon, where everyone retires to!

I am 38 (today), have 4 kids, 1 girl and 3 boys, eldest (the girl) - dyslexic, dyspraxic, dyscalculic I think the youngest (5) is adhd.

My brother is dyslexic and I was clumsy and never fitted in at school, still don't find making friends easy don't seem to have the normal social skills.

Got a great job as a TA in a primary school, great fun, so interest in this site professional as well as in personal.
Old 03-14-07, 02:50 PM

columbo will become famous soon enough
Smile

Name: Daniel
Married?: To a very patient and lovely wife called ZoŽ
Occupation: Currently signed off due to ADHD. I trained to be a Church Pastor. Am also mid-way through a postgraduate course. I hope to resume study as soon as I'm able.
Diagnosed: Sept 2005, aged 28
Subtype: Inattentive
Time it took to get a diagnosis: Over 1 year from first mentioning ADHD to the doctor
Medication: Concerta
Is medication helping?: A bit. It helps me to think and speak more fluently. Still chronically late for everything though and still suffer from anxiety and hyperfocus. Would like ADHD coaching though.

I am interested in hearing from anybody who has had CBT of ADHD coaching funding through the NHS. Please PM me if this applies to you.

Cheers

Columbo

Old 06-04-07, 01:43 AM

Alba is on a distinguished road
Hello, I'm Lorraine, living in Peterborough, but born and "half" raised in Scotland.

I haven't been diagnosed (made appointment, but forgot it) My son has ADHD, and I now believe that I have it, after reading tons and tons about the disorder, and my son's shrink asking him if his mother had ever been diagnosed with it.
Old 07-03-07, 01:27 PM
Jr Member

darkangel6976 has disabled reputation
Smile newbie here in UK

Hi

I'm: darkangel6976

My 8 yr old son has confirmed ADHD

I'm married and due to give birth to our daughter in 2 weeks! My son is struggling to come to terms with the arrival of his baby sister as he has spent nearly 9 years being an only child.

I knew my son had ADHD from him being about 10 months old, his half siblings have ADD/ADHD too. Took me about 4 years to get someone to take notice after I shouted and screamed (hyperthetically of course!).....I got hold of the psychiatrists number and pleaded with him to put my son on his waiting list-gentle persuasion worked.
The psychiatrist knew my son had it from the moment we started to have our monthly meetings when my son was 4 but it was confirmed when my son was 6 years old.

Tried various medications and my son is now on Equasym, Equasym XL and Methalphenidate.