ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-05, 03:21 AM

BobTheDecoy is on a distinguished road
Chris, San Diego

Seven years ago I remember first hearing about ADD. I knew right away that if this disorder really existed, I had it. I asked around and everyone I had talked to would tell me that it's fake and its just an excuse for people to act certain ways. I was terrified of the reaction I'd get (I still am) if I told anyone that I felt I have ADD.

I'm 22 now. I'm the only one out of all my old friends to not graduate college this year. I've taken 18 courses, only survived 5 of them. Quit nearly a dozen jobs (never been fired though.) I love painting, drawing, writing, and filmmaking, and I have a zillion projects 2/3s of the way finished. I could go on forever (until I get distracted) with reasons why I'm sure I have ADD.

This is going to sound horrible, and I'll probably get negative feedback for admitting it, but not too long ago I took some of my grandma's painkillers and I realized that they would make me 100x more patient, I was able to read books as long as I want, do schoolwork, listen to people, etc etc. The only reason I'm mentioning this is because until then I had never actually believed that any medication could help.

I'm finally ready to get help. In less than 12 hours I'm going to be sitting with a doctor and revealing what I've spent all these years trying to hide. I have no idea what to expect and how they go about diagnosing it.

I'm scared that he'll say nothing's 'wrong' with me... and that I'll have to go the rest of my life wondering why the guy sitting across from me at Barnes and Noble has sat still for three hours while I've listened to all my CDs, inspected everyone that walks by, had two Jamba Juice shakes, been to the bathroom, called my brother, planned the rest of my life, rotated in every direction, and still manage to be on the same page as when I started.

BUT! What if... (in 11 hours now), I can begin treatment and eventually prove to everyone that I'm not just a lazy bum waisting away my life. I've never been so excited. It makes me want to cry.
Old 07-29-05, 08:21 AM
Suspended Account

Gil R has disabled reputation
Welcome to the forums!

-Me
Old 07-29-05, 01:15 PM
Contributor

Pigeon has disabled reputation
First off congratts for taking that step towards the doctor... just make sure he is aware of adult ADD, cuz if he doesn't believe in it then find yourself one who does... but good for you to have recognized it yourself and have the courage to go!! (ps. although it is embarrasing to admit to taking medication illegaly, many doctors are aware people do this... unfortuantly for some people it is the wake up call that makes them realize they have a condition --I dont' condone or encourage this though, lol, just saying you are not alone)...

And WELCOME to the forums, I'm sure you will find all the support you need here, and hopefully find a few friends along the way!!!

Pigeon
Old 07-29-05, 04:40 PM

I just got back from doctor's office... He said "Well, we don't diagnose ADD in adults. You sound like you have depression and anxiety issues. Take some Paxil."

I don't know what to do... I know I could be wrong about thinking I have ADD, but I know I'm not depressed. Well, maybe I am now that I've just been slapped in the face.
Old 07-29-05, 04:52 PM
Contributor

Pigeon has disabled reputation
The key is that they said they don't diagnose it.... PLEASE FIND YOUSELF A DOCTOR WHO DOES than at least you will have a fair shot...

My first doctor told me this and I was treated for 6 years with depression... all it did was decrease my sexual desire and increase my wieght... Finally I switched doctors (twice) to find one who believed I wasn't depressed and recognised adult ADD... I would suggest calling around and finding a doctor that believes in and will test you for adult ADD there are some out there and once you find one, at least you will know....

best of luck, don't give up,
Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDecoy
I just got back from doctor's office... He said "Well, we don't diagnose ADD in adults. You sound like you have depression and anxiety issues. Take some Paxil."

I don't know what to do... I know I could be wrong about thinking I have ADD, but I know I'm not depressed. Well, maybe I am now that I've just been slapped in the face.
Old 07-29-05, 11:19 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lipz17 has a spectacular aura aboutLipz17 has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!
Old 07-30-05, 11:16 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,633 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the ADD Forums, Chris. Sounds like you need to find a doctor that specializes in diagnosing ADD!

Here are some names you can try:

Name: R. Brian Storrs, PhD
Title:Psychologist
Address: 9636 Tierra Grande Street, Suite 105
San Diego, California, 92126
Phone: (619) 695-2237 x 2
E-mail: NorthCityPsych@juno.com

Areas Served: North City and 2d office at 1820 S Escondido Bl, 102
Professional Associations: American, California and San Diego Psych. Assns.

Organization Type: Not-for-profit Community Mental Health Center

Types of Therapy: interventions & theoretical orientations
Adult Assessment, Child Assessment, Forensic Assessment, Neuro Assessment, Psychiatric Assessment, Cognitive-behavioral, Existential, Family/Marital, Humanistic, Play, ADHD treatments, Anger management

Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Adjustment disorders, Alcohol abuse/dependence, Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, Bipolar/mania, Depression/dysthymia, Gay/lesbian Issues, Mens Issues, Personality disorders, Psychological testing, Schizophrenia/delusional disorders, Sexual disorders, Substance abuse/dependence, Womens Issues

Fees: Insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, Set cash fee, Sliding-scale, many Managed Care linkages

Office Hours: M: 10-8, T: 10-8, W: 10-8, Th: 10-8, F: 10-8

Comments: Dr. Storrs' training included programs of behavioral intervention, ego psychology, and humanistic psychology. He has special interest in child-related concerns.

Name: John P. Feighner, M.D.
Title: Psychiatrist, Other mental health professional
Address: 5375 Mira Sorrento Place, Suite 210
San Diego, California, 92121
Phone: (619) 554-0500
E-mail: feighnerr@aol.com

Areas Served: Southern California & San Diego area

Professional Associations: APA

Research Interests: depression, bipolar, ptsd, schizophrenia, anxiety

Organization Type: Private Practice

Clinical Research Trials

Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, Bipolar/mania, Depression/dysthymia, Schizophrenia/delusional disorders, ptsd
Fees: Free-Paid by Drug Co. Grants

Office Hours: M: 9-5, T: 9-5, W: 9-5, Th: 9-5, F: 9-5

Comments: Clinical research is an often overlooked resource. All study-related procedures (including physical exams, ECG's, visits with a psychiatrist, study medications, and hospitalization--if included in protocol) are provided at no cost. We have been involved in this field for over 25 years and have been involved in clinical trials of most of the psychotropic medications on the market today.

Name: John Lee Evans, Ph.D.
Title: Psychologist
Address: 2850 Fourth Avenue
San Diego, California, 92122
Phone: 619-692-1552
E-mail: jonanco@aol.com

Areas Served: San Diego, Poway

Professional Associations: American Psychological Association, San Diego Psychological Association, San Diego Psych-Law Society

Organization Type:
Staff: Under 3

Adult Assessment, Child Assessment, Forensic Assessment, Cognitive behavioral, Existential, Family/Marital, Humanistic, Psychodynamic
Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Adjustment disorders, Alcohol abuse/dependence, Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, Bipolar/mania, Depression/dysthymia, Forensic/court evaluations, Gay/lesbian Issues, Mens Issues, Psychological testing, Substance abuse/dependence

Fees: Insurance, Sliding-scale

Office Hours: M-F: some evenings

Comments: I work with a broad range of problems in living with children, adolescents and adults ranging from school problems to divorce to panic disorders to grief. I work with the client in actively setting goals and devising means to work toward them.

Name: Jim Spira, Ph.D., M.P.H., ABPP
Title: Psychologist
Address: Del Mar, Hillcrest
San Diego, California, 92107
Phone: 619-792-2343
E-mail: JimSpira@aol.com

Areas Served: Southern California

Professional Associations: Amer Psych Assoc; Calif Psych Assoc; San Diego Psych Assoc; Soc Behav Med; Amer Psychosomatic Soc; Am Soc Clin Hypnosis

Research Interests: Health; Cancer, Cardiac, Diabetes, Obesity, MS, Pain; Group Therapy; Hypnosis; Meditation, Multiple Personality Disorder

Adult Assessment, Forensic Assessment, Cognitive behavioral, Cognitive, Eclectic, Existential, Humanistic, Psychodynamic, Hypnosis, Group Psychotherapy, Meditation, Body-Oriented Approaches

Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Adjustment disorders, Alcohol abuse/dependence, Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, Bipolar/mania, Depression/dysthymia, Forensic/court evaluations, Personality disorders, Psychological testing, Sexual disorders, Health Problems, Stress-related Probelms, Multiple Personality Disorder, Lifestyle Improvement

Fees: Insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, Sliding-scale

Office Hours: M: evenings, T: evenings, W: evenings, Th: evenings, Sa: by apt, Su: by apt

Comments: Jim Spira, Ph.D., M.P.H., ABPP received his Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, and completed a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Psychiatry at Stanford University.

Name: Gregory A. LaDue, M.S.
Title: Marital and Family therapist
Address: 2231 Camin del rio S. Ste 308
San Diego, California, 92108
Phone: 619-297-2571, ext 132
E-mail: gladue1@san.rr.com

Areas Served: San Diego proper

Professional Associations: California Association Of Marriage and Family Therapistsa
Research Interests: Attention Deficit DIsorder in Adults and Psychospiritual issues

Behavioral, Cognitive, Eclectic, Family/Marital
Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Adjustment disorders, Alcohol abuse/dependence, Depression/dysthymia

Office Hours: M: 4:30-6:30pm, T: 4:30-6:30pm, W: 4:30-6:30pm, Th: 4:30-6:30pm, F: 12-5:30pm

Name: David A. Peters, MFCC
Title: Marital and Family therapist
Address: 2525 Camino del Rio South #205
San Diego, California, 92108
Phone: (619)491-3492

Areas Served: San Diego County

Professional Associations: California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists

Adult Assessment, Child Assessment, Cognitive, Psychodynamic, Family/Marital,

Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Adjustment disorders, Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, Bipolar/mania, Depression/dysthymia, Eating disorders, Gay/lesbian Issues, Mens Issues, Sexual disorders, Womens Issues, Oppositional-Defiant Disorder, Sexual Trauma, Parenting Concerns, Compulsive Disorders

Office Hours: Mon - Fri, Afternoons & Evenings

Comments: David Peters, MFCC has 13 years experience working as a psychotherapist. He is available for public speaking engagements on a wide variety of topics such as effective parenting, coping with mental illness, and sexual trauma recovery.

Name: Ann D. Clark, Ph. D.
Title: Marital and Family therapist, Executive Coach
Address: 89l0 University Center Lane, Suite 850
San Diego, California, 92122
Phone: 619-452-1254
E-mail: aclark@annclarkassociates.com

Areas Served: San Diego

Professional Associations: EAPA,APA,CEAP,NCA,EASNA,AAMFT,AMFT, CAMFT and numerous others, provided upon request.

Research Interests: addiction, supervision, and children's issues

Staff: Over 40

Adult Assessment, Child Assessment, Forensic Assessment, Behavioral, Cognitive behavioral, Eclectic, Family/Marital, Humanistic, Psychodynamic

Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Adjustment disorders, Alcohol abuse/dependence, Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, Bipolar/mania, Depression/dysthymia, Eating disorders, Forensic/court evaluations, Gay/lesbian Issues, Medication prescription, Mens Issues, Neurological disorders, Personality disorders, Psychological testing, Schizophrenia/delusional disorders, Sexual disorders, Substance abuse/dependence, Womens Issues, Anger & Mood Management, Workplace Problems, Executive conflict

Office Hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm with appointments each day until 9:00 pm, and weekend appointments available.

Comments: Author of "How to Survive Your Boss," "Looking Good," and "Alone But Not Lonely," Dr. Ann Clark excels in helping individuals, couples and families cope with the many demands of contemporary life. Her approach emphasizes practical techniques, brief therapy and is results-oriented. A nationally-recognized expert in substance abuse, Dr. Clark is a popular motivational speaker. Her seminars and groups are upbeat, humorous, and emphasize coping skills. Empathetic and knowledgeable, Dr. Ann Clark is available to share her highly successful approach with you.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 07-30-05, 03:55 PM

Wow cool! Thanks!! I made an appointment next week for a second opinion and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-31-05, 03:12 PM

onedge is on a distinguished road
welcome

A hole is only as deep as you are willing to dig it.
Old 08-05-05, 04:11 PM

Hi, I just got back from seeing the second doctor and this time I saw someone who actually knew what he was talking about. He looked like he was 100 years old and I was terrified the same thing would happen but he had tons of experience with ADD and told me lots of stuff I didn't know. He put me on 20mg a day of Adderall XR. Thanks for your support guys! I don't know if I would have gone for a second opinion without it.
Old 08-05-05, 06:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

minn306 has disabled reputation
A very special welcome to you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have