ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-14, 11:07 PM

mimes74 is on a distinguished road
Does your head feel like mine?

I will have several trouble putting words together when trying to explain things to others. My head feels like a fog and remember pieces of what I heard. When I repeat it back the other person may get frustrated or confused
Unmanagable (09-24-14), vpilar (09-24-14), yellowflowers (09-26-14)
Old 09-24-14, 11:14 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Does your head feel like mine?

Yepper.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
mimes74 (09-24-14)
Old 09-25-14, 12:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,333 Times in 675 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

for me this has more to do with anxiety than adhd, if I'm anxious about something or a subject I can dish out a good portion of word soup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
mimes74 (09-26-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-14, 03:19 AM

pynkicecream is on a distinguished road

I feel the same way. Wish I could undergo brain/head transplant.. =p

Since I am on medication, it helps me remember informations/ details and minimizes the urge to speak without thinking. Although verbalizing and even writing my thoughts still struggles.
The Following User Says Thank You to pynkicecream For This Useful Post:
mimes74 (09-26-14)
Old 09-25-14, 07:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

lmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nice

Happens to me all the time. Haha it's like my mind knows exactly what to say, but is processing it way too fast for my mouth to keep up with. I always end up having to stop in between words and think of what I am trying to say. Most of the time the way I word things verbally doesn't do justice for what I was truly intending to say. That's why I stick to writing because it helps me to stop and pause whenever I'd like and to delete whatever it is that doesn't sound right.
Till they find there's no need ~
The Following User Says Thank You to lmg2474 For This Useful Post:
mimes74 (09-26-14)
Old 09-26-14, 11:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

yellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimes74 View Post
I will have several trouble putting words together when trying to explain things to others. My head feels like a fog and remember pieces of what I heard. When I repeat it back the other person may get frustrated or confused
I find it really hard to explain stuff... Bothers me cause makes me sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. I would make a hopeless school teacher

"In the same way, there is some creature gnawing away inside me, urging me to do things in different ways" -Dylan Moran

"should I abide by the rules until they're changed, or help speed the change by breaking them?" –Ashleigh Brilliant

Dx
ADHD-C
Dyslexia
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowflowers For This Useful Post:
mimes74 (09-26-14)
Old 09-27-14, 03:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

yellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of light

Re: My post
Hi Mimes,

I'm afraid I'm probably not going to be much help on this as I struggle with it too. I unfortunately use a lot of caffeine and nicotine to try get rid of this fog feeling... Throughout my day

Strategies wise, it depends on the situation, any time I can ...like know in advance I'm going to have to explain something or ask questions I make a little list of prompts ... I Have to, because I can be half way through saying something and my mind just goes BLANK.

The other thing I've found is anxiety makes it way worse (and tiredness). When I can see I'm not making sense, forget what I was saying, have forgotten what the other person said I get ANXIOUS and embarrassed and frustrated. And that makes it worse.

So I try remind myself to SLOW down, it's okay to pause mid sentence, and if I can pause, and feel a bit calmer that it's okay to do that (and it is, cause other ppl take huge pauses) then I can think up something to say/finish the sentence/ remember where I was in the story I was telling/ remember more of what the other person has said.

But also, I try trust that even if what I say comes out a bit mixed-uppy, most ppl are relatively understanding... (Not everyone) and i sort of try laugh at myself "oh give me a sec....completely forgotten what I was going to say haha.....". I come across as rather quirky anyway I guess... And by making light of it, or kind of owning up to it in a light hearted way, people tend to be a bit more understanding.

Socially, if I don't remember what the person said/ just pieces of it, I try to ask a vague question to keep them talking .... People LOVE talking about themselves...seriously. They often have very little interest in your opinion on what they are saying as long as you look like your paying attention with little nods or "oh" and "uh huh"

If all else fails socially, compliment them...

I cannot make a clear arguement in a debate-like conversation. And to be honest, I've given up trying. It's very frustrating knowing what you want to say - but not being able to string the words together in a logical way isn't it.

I'm not sure I'm helping because it really depends on the situation... I don't know if your sped up like me... The fog feeling, it's a strange one, because my mind is not quiet, it's just ALL OVER the place, and actually very fast but .... Like I can't get it to communicate with ME!!! Like as if all my limbs were flailing around the place and I was trying to ride a bike.

But I understand some people are inattentive but maybe not sped up? I'm combined but I'm leaning well onto the hyperactive side

When people get confused/frustrated with me, it really hurts, and it makes the whole situation worse. I tend to beat myself up, then feel worse about myself, and sort of self-fulfilling prophecy type thing - makes it so I manage conversations even worse.

The whole thing goes so much better when I'm more patient with myself, more accepting, calmer.

I hope this helps. I know how horrible this issue can be

Xxx

"In the same way, there is some creature gnawing away inside me, urging me to do things in different ways" -Dylan Moran

"should I abide by the rules until they're changed, or help speed the change by breaking them?" –Ashleigh Brilliant

Dx
ADHD-C
Dyslexia
Old 09-27-14, 06:09 PM
Jr Member

Mattastic is on a distinguished road

This happens to me a lot, I generally prefer texting or typing out what I have to say because it gives me time to think of what I really want to say and what I already have said and gives me time to think of what I will say next.

I also have speech problems since I was a kid so I never liked talking in the first place. A lot of people would think I was slow or stupid until I sent them a text or actually found the ability to fully express my thoughts to them and they always act extremely surprised and say "Oh wow, you really know what your talking about and whats going on, I didn't know you knew all this stuff" and than I would say something random and stupid on purpose because all of a sudden everything felt awkward, in reality I probably was the one who would make things awkward by saying the stupid and random things, its just so hard not too. So people are always up in the Air with me.
"Oh hes smart...sometimes....I think"
But man people just open up to you so easily and tell you all there secrets when they think your "a slow and stupid individual".