ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-14, 01:29 AM

aftnrid12 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are your fidgets?

I don't know if these would be considered "fidgets," but I definitely have things I do all the time. I rip the labels off of bottles. When I'm sitting or laying down, I move my hips or upper body and make shapes like 8s, cicles, triangles, zig-zags, etc. I also put my hair in my mouth or bite the inside of my bottom lip.
The Following User Says Thank You to aftnrid12 For This Useful Post:
Jenn1202 (10-03-14)
Old 07-05-14, 01:19 PM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

I have twisted my hair from the time I was a tiny girl - it drove my mom nuts! I would try to stop but it was so automatic.

Used to get irritated by my college friend's foot jiggling - and then I picked up the habit myself from her! How crazy is that?

Once when I was well into adulthood and with my mom in the grocery store, I realized I was touching displays and things like a little kid. I felt so embarrassed at what I was doing that I tried really hard to break the habit. But after the ADD diagnosis it made sense why I was doing this. I allow myself some leeway - sometimes it also includes the need to feel the texture of something or even pick it up and smell it.

I am careful not to damage merchandise with my habit - like when I go to the craft store and look at the Sculpey clay, I don't squish up a package or leave finger indentations in it! Or in the produce department of the grocery, if I sniff a nectarine - which I also do for the normal reason of determining if it's ripe - and decide I don't want it, I'll put it back gently.

Playing with pens, doodling, all that stuff, check.

My worst fidgetiness comes out in the context of "pure socializing" i.e. when people aren't doing anything else but sitting/standing around conversing. Like after the meal is over, I'm ready to split. I used to attend a support group where some of the members would go for ice cream afterward - but first they'd stand and stand and stand around in the parking lot of the meeting place and I'd be wanting to scream "You can flap your gums just as well while eating ice cream, let's GO!"

Then there is the matter of the Uncomfortable Seating for What Is Supposed To Be A Fun Time. Such as watching a movie with friends. At home, my roommate has these chairs that are just too squared off for my body, and have hard wooden armrests. I finally went and got my office chair - and another chair to put my feet up on, because sitting upright makes me either squirmy or tired. I also finally had to start having a project for my hands during these times or even doodling.

My mom once told me that my maternal grandmother (died before I came along), on the side of the family where much of the ADD and Autism spectrum folk are clustered, always had to have handwork, embroidery or something, with her. My paternal grandmother was also a crafty and creative person, probably not ADD but I guess I just like to keep my hands busy and be productive - straight unadulterated socialization seems like a waste of time to me.
Old 07-05-14, 01:23 PM

Thanked 4,184 Times in 2,013 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute

Foot jiggling, lip biting
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-14, 02:24 PM
Contributor

kittyb21 is a jewel in the roughkittyb21 is a jewel in the roughkittyb21 is a jewel in the rough

When I was a kid I co-slept with my parents for 9 years, I would kick one of my calves with the other leg, it used to drive them crazy.
Skin picking is my worst one, completely recks my face, yuk!
I had my tongue pierced for years and would chew on that continually. Nail biting, when I gave that up I took to chewing the skin around my nails.
Feet tapping and fidgeting when forced to sit still in public.
Old 07-05-14, 09:57 PM
Contributor

Smokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to all

Shaking or bouncing my legs while sitting is by far the worst of my fidgeting.

I also will play with things, especially pens or pencils. If the pen has a clip on it, then there is a 90% chance that in course of fidgeting with it, I will break the clip off. I feel horrible when it's not my pen and I do that (although they learn from then on to keep their pens out of my reach).
Jenn1202 (10-03-14)
Old 07-16-14, 12:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

sabotender has a spectacular aura aboutsabotender has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhLookABunny View Post
I have twisted my hair from the time I was a tiny girl - it drove my mom nuts! I would try to stop but it was so automatic.

Used to get irritated by my college friend's foot jiggling - and then I picked up the habit myself from her! How crazy is that?

Once when I was well into adulthood and with my mom in the grocery store, I realized I was touching displays and things like a little kid. I felt so embarrassed at what I was doing that I tried really hard to break the habit. But after the ADD diagnosis it made sense why I was doing this. I allow myself some leeway - sometimes it also includes the need to feel the texture of something or even pick it up and smell it.

I am careful not to damage merchandise with my habit - like when I go to the craft store and look at the Sculpey clay, I don't squish up a package or leave finger indentations in it! Or in the produce department of the grocery, if I sniff a nectarine - which I also do for the normal reason of determining if it's ripe - and decide I don't want it, I'll put it back gently.

Playing with pens, doodling, all that stuff, check.

My worst fidgetiness comes out in the context of "pure socializing" i.e. when people aren't doing anything else but sitting/standing around conversing. Like after the meal is over, I'm ready to split. I used to attend a support group where some of the members would go for ice cream afterward - but first they'd stand and stand and stand around in the parking lot of the meeting place and I'd be wanting to scream "You can flap your gums just as well while eating ice cream, let's GO!"

Then there is the matter of the Uncomfortable Seating for What Is Supposed To Be A Fun Time. Such as watching a movie with friends. At home, my roommate has these chairs that are just too squared off for my body, and have hard wooden armrests. I finally went and got my office chair - and another chair to put my feet up on, because sitting upright makes me either squirmy or tired. I also finally had to start having a project for my hands during these times or even doodling.

My mom once told me that my maternal grandmother (died before I came along), on the side of the family where much of the ADD and Autism spectrum folk are clustered, always had to have handwork, embroidery or something, with her. My paternal grandmother was also a crafty and creative person, probably not ADD but I guess I just like to keep my hands busy and be productive - straight unadulterated socialization seems like a waste of time to me.
I'm quite like that too, the hair part. I loved the texture and feel of my hair that I keep doing that subconsciously (most people noticed and find it unsightly or plain weird) but I cant break the habit. >_<. And sometimes I twirled both sides of the hair with both hands, to which I ended up looking like a fool. My mom keep telling me to stop (but finally give up. My hands got a mind of their own)
Old 07-21-14, 10:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

I pull out my facial hair (aka as trichotillomania aka "tweezer-fingers").

I wonder how long it would take me to fill a mason jar?

I also shift around in my seat a lot (for a long time, I thought of what I now consider fidgeting as "getting comfortable"). I also tend to pace a lot.
Old 07-24-14, 08:33 PM

foxxyky is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am new here. My lips are raw right now from biting off the skin. I also pull out my stray facial hair (female), and pull out my gray hairs because of the difference in texture. I dig in my eyes ( I know gross). My legs are always fidgety and I can never sit still. Whenever I go to a movie, even if it is one I have been dying to see, once I sit down I immediately dread it and think about how I am now stuck in the theater for the next 2 hours. I am not scared or claustrophobic, but I start to wonder what if the movie is boring or bad and now I am stuck here watching it.
The Following User Says Thank You to foxxyky For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (09-20-14)
Old 07-26-14, 03:48 AM
Jr Member

AprilSky is a jewel in the roughAprilSky is a jewel in the roughAprilSky is a jewel in the rough

skin scratcher, hair twirler, lip eater (biter), scalp rubber, hand wringer, finger stretcher, toe wiggler, inside of cheek chewer. Not all at once, only when I can't get my hands on something to play with. It's a rare moment if I am still. I am still when I am completely engrossed in a movie in a movie theatre but not when I watch a movie at home. Also when I am about to sleep or in a daydream.
Old 09-10-14, 03:20 PM

imnotkuku is on a distinguished road

Wow! What a great thread! I'm bad about shaking my leg or foot. At work, my chair twirs and I'm constantly rotating in it. I rub my hands together when I'm uncomfortable, I'm a nail biter (although it's gotten better, I now only bite when there's a rough spot or broke nail). I quit smoking 9 months ago and now vape and am constantly playing with my vape pen and chewing on the tip. If I"m at home sitting still, I'm totally engrossed in my computer. Constantly stretching, moving and I also doodle a lot. I crochet, but have had to stop due to the pain in my hands..but that helped with a lot of the fidgets.
Removed from Strattera 9/19/14 due to complications
Started taking 20mg/day Vyvanse
Old 09-20-14, 12:51 AM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

Don't know if it's technically a fidget, but . . . snacking.
Old 09-20-14, 01:54 AM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,583 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

I make paper cranes all the time to keep my hands busy. The rest of my fidgets are more standard: nail-biting, capping and uncapping pens or chapstick, foot-tapping, writing out lyrics to the songs stuck in my head, playing with my rings or earrings or nose piercing (I really shouldn't do that since it's still healing), chewing gum, biting my lips, tying knots in hair elastics, twisting/braiding my hair...weirdly I feel like I've gotten more fidgety over time, which i didn't even realize until I started this list

Whenever I'm at a party or a restaurant I NEED to have a cup in my hand and constantly be sipping from it or running my finger along the rim or wiping at the condensation with my finger.

I'm also constantly playing around with my phone - usually I'm not even doing anything, just repeatedly locking and unlocking and putting in my passcode over and over again
Old 09-20-14, 05:11 AM

moth2flame has a spectacular aura aboutmoth2flame has a spectacular aura about

My fidgeting was much worse when I was a kid... I'd compulsively bite straws and paper cups, roll up receipts and labels and pieces of paper, shred kleenex, and if there were bushes around I'd tear off leaves or grass and crush them in my fingers. My parents always called me a "tactile" kid; I would pick out clothes by feel more than look, and I had to touch things to understand them (still do).

Over the years I kinda trained myself out of some of these things, in particular the crushing of leaves/plants because it actually also upset me to be damaging some poor hapless plant without thinking. But I still catch myself rolling up beer bottle labels... making origami shapes out of paper straw covers... and that good old fashioned lrg/foot shaking, when I'm trying to concentrate on something bpth important and boring.

My one indulgence I do not let myself feel guilty about is I like the feel of a certain particular type of fabric (kind of a fake satin, it's hard to explain except it's very slick!)... so I have a few pieces of it I carry around with me and if I need to calm myself, I can rub them together. Or really, just whenever no one is looking, I seem to get some calming neurochemicals from this somehow or something. I'm not an expert but doing this makes me feel noticibly better when I am stressed out!
"Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
--Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata"
Old 09-23-14, 07:29 PM
Contributor

Just remembered this one: When I was a preschooler or early grade schooler, and my mom had a new spool of sewing thread, I had to pick the label off. Another way I drove her nuts! I'm also a hypocrite, because when I was older, woe to any other kid who pulled my stickers off things!

I was at the fabric store today (Joann's) buying thread for my own sewing, is what reminded me of this one. And after I'd paid for my thread and was on my way out of the store, they had demo tray of this "Sands Alive" play sand: http://www.mastermindtoys.com/Sands-...door-Sand.aspx Oh my goodness, it was a sensory experience - I may have to buy some!

It doesn't really feel like sand to me, though - it feels like crumbly cake but soft, soft - yet squishy - yet . . . indescribable. Smells kind of like cake too. If you're a sensory experience junkie, you owe it to yourself to find a toy or craft store and check this stuff out. And no, I'm not shilling for the company. It's amazing.
Old 09-25-14, 11:14 PM
Contributor

Playing with my shoelaces and the eyelets on my shoes while seated talking to someone like a therapist or doctor.