ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-13, 01:25 AM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of
Re: What are your fidgets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderz View Post
Hi I have not been by in a while, I came in to complain about the monthly routine for getting my meds that sometimes fails.... I'll find that area in a moment.

I do the classic knee bounce/jiggle.
The really bad one is that I click my mouse (left) click click. It bothers other people, but not me.

I also click my pen. I play with paper folding it and mutilating it, and I can't even explain that one..

I talk to myself and mutter and that gets me into trouble. All of these have gotten better as I get older but those are the biggies.
I forgot when I type, I constantly hit the shift key as I think. I can do it on a mac, no problem, but on a windows pc, I constantly get that sticky key reminder. I also doodle and mutter a bit but with the earplugs for phones, people think I am talking on the phone.
Old 12-17-13, 10:32 AM

GullibleSkeptic is on a distinguished road

I have most of the usual fidgets: tapping feet, bouncing my leg, pick at my nails, shifting positions in my chair....these usually only subside if I'm on my medication or really tired.

My non-conventional fidget is not really a fidget, but it essentially acts like one. During lectures, I have to write about other things or makes lists, etc. If I attempt to just pay attention to the lecture, I zone out or become incredibly restless. Just listening for too long is impossible: it needs to be broken up with doing something.
The exception to the rule is when I find a lecture too mentally stimulating. Then I'm practically bouncing out of chair to share all the ideas that are bubbling chaotically inside my head.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullibleSkeptic For This Useful Post:
MX2012 (12-17-13), OhLookABunny (07-05-14), psychopathetic (12-17-13)
Old 12-17-13, 10:52 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,042 Times in 7,960 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

That's really interesting Gullible! So when you're writing stuff down and making lists, are you able to do that AND get everything the professor is saying? Or do you only get bits and pieces?
I can only focus on 1 thing at a time, so I just find it really fascinating that you multi-task like this.

I had a professor this semester who everyone really hated. His lectures were dry and slow and he just would drone on and on.
And for whatever reason, I just really clicked with the professor. While everyone else was on facebook on their phones and computers, and others were trying not to nod off and fall asleep...I was 120% completely and absolutely enthralled with this proffessor's lectures! My eyes would be on his eyes and I'd be absorbing every single word he'd say...and I was ALWAYS ready to ask him a bunch of questions. Sometimes he'd randomly ask someone in the class a question, and I loved when he'd pick me! haha. I think he fed off of my energy too...I swear he sensed how much I enjoyed his teaching and it gave him a lot of energy. It was a really neat experience I'll never forget!

Anyhow my fidgets:
I rock back and forth. Like I'm in a rocking chair, only I'll rock anywhere...even in my car driving lol.
I've always chewed pens. My parents use to get really mad at me over it and my dad would always make fun of me.
And sometimes I have to shake my hand really rapidly. Have since I was a kid and never knew why.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
MX2012 (12-17-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-13, 09:31 PM
Contributor

FreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really nice

tap heel or jiggle leg up and down. click pen. rub thumb and first finger together, sometimes both hands at same time. chew on cigar, lit or not. chew wad of sunflower seeds.
Old 01-19-14, 06:16 PM
Jr Member

bymysoul2squeez is on a distinguished road

what an excellent idea for a post lol

I pick on my cuticles , if i get a manicure and i dont want to ruin my nails i bite the inside of my mouth, i also tap my foot, bite pens, unbend the paper clips etc. but mostly my cuticles
Old 01-20-14, 02:56 AM

FlightyBroad will become famous soon enough

Foot tapping, pen clicking, crossing & I crossing legs, and grossest of all- zit picking (only at home!)
Old 01-31-14, 02:01 AM
Contributor

Dopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud of

I crack my neck, tap my fingers, tap my right foot (don't know why the left foot gets no love), crack my fingers, stretch, do anything to avoid being perfectly... still.
Old 01-31-14, 03:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

Hm - I'm a busy busy person and have developed some tics to deal with my ADHD, social anxiety, and resulting OCD.

My tics involve neck rolling, wrist rolling, ab flexing, and some nasal stuff in my face.

Luckily I'm a pretty woman...
Old 01-31-14, 03:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

I appear to be incapable of pinning my compulsive **** down so I would not make much of a role model or whatever...
Old 01-31-14, 04:06 AM
Contributor

Anastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to all

I use my pointer, or ring finger to rub my thumb nail, or push the cuticle down. The nail is indented now.
Old 01-31-14, 05:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Tap fingers or feet, bouncy legs, tap thumb against index finger, simulate typing in the air, fold or tear paper or tissue, etc.

I'm not a huge fidgeter and when I'm depressed I fidget less. I usually fidget when I get c restless or impatient.

Mostly I make tight fists but that's more stress and depression related I'd think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (06-03-14)
Old 02-22-14, 11:32 AM
Jr Member

Artiste is on a distinguished road

A colleague pointed out that I constantly 'drum' on things (my brother is an actual drummer, so I blame him for teaching me this) and someone else at work laughed that in meetings I always have a pen in my hands, twirling it about, balancing them on the desk, etc. I don't notice I'm doing it most of the time. I also have 'very expressive hands' when I talk, but I'm not sure if that's just my personality. It's something I've done since I was very little and my family used to laugh about it and joke that I was an orchestra conductor in a past life. Oh, and doodling. I draw things when I'm thinking about something. It helps me to concentrate and remember.
Old 06-03-14, 12:02 PM

Herose is on a distinguished road

I have a few very specific ones, but I think they might be more compulsive than actual fidgets.
With any kind of device with batteries, I keep opening and closing the valve. My sister get totally irritated by the clicking noise, I don't even hear it anymore.
The same with chapsticks, I keep making that clicking sound where its locked / unlocked.
With beer bottles or any kind of glass bottles, I rip off the label until its clean and then go to the next one.
Plucking my eyebrows for when I can't epilate them.
And also the more conventional ones, twiddling anything I can get my hands on.
Old 06-03-14, 12:59 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I said in my previous post that I don't fidget much but actually I do, I constantly do something to my skin, either rub it, scratch it, pick it, pinch it, flip it, tap it, etc. My hands are constantly on my face.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (06-03-14)
Old 06-03-14, 01:28 PM

Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,802 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this thread. My most natural fidget is to pick at my hair. I try my best not to.

I tap my fingers, my feet and even my teeth, my tongue or my breathing, .. all sorts of things and mostly to some kind of music in my head. And here's a really odd one, I draw repetitive geometric patterns. lines, boxes, dots, .. I have zero artistic talent with anything visual but I try to make them symmetrical.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax