ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 10-07-13, 09:28 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,218 Times in 2,584 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Worst Widely Used Software Ever

I have had the same Dell laptop since 2006 and my blackberry since 2009. For the touchscreens I have long nails and can't seem to get them to work without hitting two letters at a time.

At work we went to Win7 and I'm not a fan, especially the whole, moving a doc and if it hits the top it expands across the desktop. Truly annoying.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
Old 10-09-13, 05:02 AM

BatBowey is on a distinguished road

Citrix and Direct X api....
Old 10-09-13, 05:07 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
Do you have a link to your current keyboard? I'm still looking for "the one"
http://pckeyboard.com/
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-13, 05:10 AM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I'm not sure I know that keyboard, can you find a picture? Is that performa era? I remember liking the one that came with our SE, but I didn't really type a whole lot back then.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard
Old 10-09-13, 05:31 AM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
I had Redhat with X Windows back in 2002, on a partition.

I hated the GUI.

If you know of an implementation of Linux that has a GUI arbitarily identical to that of Windows, ...
GUI on Linux has improved a great deal since 2002. And if you try a GUI and you don't like it, well, you can just install a new one without ruining your system, and try that one out. (If you have more than one GUI installed side by side, your log-in screen will allow you to choose whichever you want; to switch GUI all you do is log out, click the other check-box, and log back in.)

Linux GUIs: KDE used to have a reputation for being more Windows-like; it's highly configurable (more so even than Windows) and there's basically a control for everything. GNOME is very full-featured and very pretty but less configurable. Unity (the Ubuntu desktop but which you might also be able to install outside of Ubuntu) I'm not so familiar with, but I've seen it and it works fine. Mate and Cinnamon are from Linux Mint, both are based on being somewhat like different versions of GNOME. I used Cinnamon for a while and it was very nice. XFCE (which I recommended to you up-thread) uses less resources but still has enough features for efficient & effective use. It is very traditional and straightforward in style. There are others as well, including a whole category of minimal & nearly-featureless window managers for those who do most of their work at a command prompt, but essentially, KDE, GNOME, Mate, Cinnamon, and XFCE are "the big guns" at the moment. As mentioned, if you have the disk space you can install them all at once, and take your pick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-16-13), BellaVita (10-20-14)
Old 10-09-13, 05:35 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,204 Times in 9,399 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Firefox. I used to like it but they kept changing things and eventually it just became one big crashtastic mess.

I don't like Explorer but I don't hate it.

I know there is worse stuff I've used but I can't remember right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-20-14)
Old 10-15-13, 08:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

drdistracto will become famous soon enough

I would have to go with Internet Explorer. It introduced the backspace key for navigation, WITHOUT a modifier (like SHIFT or CTRL or ALT). If you are putting information into a web form and the text field loses focus (say you accidentally touch the laptop track pad) and you press backspace, it takes you back to the previous page and loses all your work!

What's even worse is that Mozilla and Google (and I think Apple too) copied that stupidity. I have lost countless hours of work due to that boneheaded idea. At least on Firefox you can easily turn it off in about:config. There's no easy way that I know of for Chrome.
Old 10-15-13, 11:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Linux sucks, especially Mint! Unless you are really really really passionate about computers and you can fix all the bugs and error, nothing ever works. And I don't mean just the thousand of programs that aren't compatible with Linux, but also the very features of this operating system itself: mine doesn't read almost any media, like my memory stick, my portable hard drive, my Ipod- nothing. Flash Player or whatever it uses has tones of errors and Firefox is always blocking my computer. I can't even begin to explain all the issues I'm having with it, but I'm just too cheap to buy Windows and an anti-virus.
Old 10-15-13, 12:01 PM

Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,100 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Windows Vista is probably the biggest fail as far as software platforms go. It has too muched crammed into it. And the security notifications for every single thing you try to do on it, makes you wish it had a virus that would permanently break the damn thing.

For an individual piece of software. Windows Movie Maker is quite simply impossible.
Old 10-15-13, 01:11 PM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corina86 View Post
Linux sucks, especially Mint! Unless you are really really really passionate about computers and you can fix all the bugs and error, nothing ever works. And I don't mean just the thousand of programs that aren't compatible with Linux, but also the very features of this operating system itself: mine doesn't read almost any media, like my memory stick, my portable hard drive, my Ipod- nothing. Flash Player or whatever it uses has tones of errors and Firefox is always blocking my computer. I can't even begin to explain all the issues I'm having with it, but I'm just too cheap to buy Windows and an anti-virus.
Agreed, with Flash on Linux. Bad news. The rest of it you can probably work out, using some distribution of Linux at least. Mint is nice but it has its limitations in terms of installing software that isn't on its official list. Oh, I just read again and you said iPod... there's never a guarantee that an Apple product will work, because they build them for Apple only and don't care about anyone else. With iPod and Flash I say "good luck, you're on your own, have fun!" - but if you want help with any of the rest of the issues, feel free to send me a PM and I'll do my best. No guarantees of course, but you can probably make those other things work.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-20-14)
Old 10-15-13, 01:12 PM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Windows Vista is probably the biggest fail as far as software platforms go. It has too muched crammed into it. And the security notifications for every single thing you try to do on it, makes you wish it had a virus that would permanently break the damn thing.
It does already.
Old 10-20-14, 05:35 AM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 932 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

That's easy: Microsoft Windows.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
The Following User Says Thank You to Laserbeak For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-12-17)
Old 10-20-14, 01:16 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to behold

Apple. I made a huge mistake and bought this MacBook Pro. I had always heard how "intuitive" Apple products are, haha. I'll take almost any decent PC over this MacBook.

Same thing with smartphones. I always tell people that you could throw a hundred iphones in a bucket and nobody would have a clue as to who owned which one. They are all exactly alike. I prefer Android smartphones which really are "intuitive" at least to me. And now that I have taught myself how to root and unlock them, they are even better.

You can change just about anything on them to the way you like it. Delete bloatware or anything that came on the phone that you don't use or don't like. So much more individual than Apple ever dreamed of.
Old 10-20-14, 04:38 PM
Forum Guru

eeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished road

I don't know about apple, with the price of their hardware the software better be far better.

As for windows/linux, aside from [probably] being keylogged out of the box I don't see what is so bad about windows. The OS itself may have problems, but photoshop and jriver > gimp and clemintine in a HUGE way, so let them eat cake.

The Following User Says Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
Maurice (10-20-14)
Old 10-21-14, 01:55 AM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 932 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

No, Windows isn't bad... as long as you think this is the way an operational system should look:

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".