ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-13, 06:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

yellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Hi Everyone, really delighted to find this thread, I have the ebook of the Now Habit, my procrastination/resistance so bad right now thou can't even read it, I'm gonna try though, I'm driving my self nuts ������

"In the same way, there is some creature gnawing away inside me, urging me to do things in different ways" -Dylan Moran

"should I abide by the rules until they're changed, or help speed the change by breaking them?" –Ashleigh Brilliant

Dx
ADHD-C
Dyslexia
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowflowers For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-04-13)
Old 03-04-13, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Footsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

A quick progress report: I passed the deadline for those 2 projects that I reverse-calendared earlier in this thread. I got both projects done. I still ended up doing a lot of the work at the last minute for each of them, but I think I whittled down the procrastination by planning ahead.

One of the things I'm seeing is that this will probably be an incremental process for me. So I am trying not to compare my actual behavior (whether I procrastinate on a task or not) with the ideal, but rather with what I might have done in the past. And I am committed to steady progress in that direction.

So far, so good this year!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Footsore Ramble For This Useful Post:
Mr Digital 01 (03-04-13), Sandy4957 (03-04-13)
Old 03-04-13, 01:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

It's been great to hear everyone's progress. As reported back a bit, I'm rereading the book. Now on page 43. And I'm identifying the reasons I procrastinate.

I think with ADHDers we have some reasons in addition to the ones mentioned in the book. Sometimes we simply keep "forgetting" what we're supposed to be doing. Also, I don't know if the book mentions this, but some of us have a lot of learned helplessness from not being able to deal with our ADHD symptoms very well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to String For This Useful Post:
Footsore Ramble (03-05-13), Mr Digital 01 (03-04-13), Sandy4957 (03-04-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-13, 09:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Yellowflowers, try downloading the audiobook and listen to it when you're in the middle of something else. You won't absorb it all that way, but you'll absorb enough to make it easier to read it later.

Footsore, glad to hear it!

String, I was surprised to see that, in the Now Habit at Work book, he more or less says that he has ADHD and dyslexia. Did you see that? So this book really WAS written for US.

I am still going strong. The incremental progress is key. It's like something that I often say about cooking. If you've ever made buttercream (real buttercream), then you know that you've got your custard or meringue in the bowl, and you're beating it, and you're adding in chunks of softened butter, and more chunks, and more chunks, and you're thinking, "This is going to curdle. This isn't going to work. I'm going to have to throw it all away..." And then all of sudden, woosh, you have buttercream!

This is like that. You do the pieces. It doesn't seem to work. You do other pieces. Still no results. You're starting to despair, and then you try that last step or piece or whatever it is, and woosh, you're there. You SEE precisely what he describes. You find yourself asking "When can I start?" and you have faith that you'll finish the last time that you start, and you finally, FINALLY have glimpses of the actual, blessed, guilt-free periods, even if they are brief. But those brief periods reinforce all the rest, and then you're committed to the strategy. That's when you see the benefits, 100%.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.

Last edited by Abi; 03-04-13 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: ..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Mr Digital 01 (03-07-13), String (03-05-13)
Old 03-05-13, 01:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
String, I was surprised to see that, in the Now Habit at Work book, he more or less says that he has ADHD and dyslexia. Did you see that? So this book really WAS written for US.
Thanks for sharing this, Sandy! No wonder this book resonates with me so much better than so many other self help books I've tried to implement.
The Following User Says Thank You to String For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-05-13)
Old 03-05-13, 08:37 PM

Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Here's the statement, btw. It's on page xvii of the introduction to The Now Habit at Work. See if you guys agree with me:

Quote:
"If you're like me, you may have suffered from some childhood disadvantage that taught you to persevere, overcome obstacles, and pursue your dream. You, like me, may have had a form of dyslexia or attention deficit disorder (ADD) before they diagnosed such things in grammar school. So we who are relatively successful today have learned to turn lemons into lemonade and disadvantages into advantages, to compensate for disabilities, and to develop our own methods of learning and retaining information. It's not unusual to discover that successful people have had to overcome many obstacles on the journey to achieving their goals."
So yeah, he's our peeps.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Mr Digital 01 (03-07-13), String (03-06-13)
Old 03-06-13, 08:49 AM

Britainton is on a distinguished road

I bought the book! It's still sitting unopened on the coffee table, but I bought the thing! I've been in trial for 2 straight days, so I haven't had much time to think about any of my other cases, and organization has been easy with two straight days of working with my dearest mistress, Adrenaline.

Now I'm sitting at my desk facing two days worth of e-mails, phone messages, mail, and deadlines on my other cases. Adrenaline has left me for my best friend, Motivation, and they're both off having a tryst somewhere warm and un-frozen while I'm here all alone with only Dread and Guilt to keep me company, and they're nice and all, but noisy.

Tonight I'll read chapter 1. Chapter 2 if chapter 1 is mostly fluff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Britainton For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-06-13), stef (03-06-13)
Old 03-06-13, 05:05 PM

Quote:
my dearest mistress, Adrenaline.
Hahahahahaha! Ah, yes, my one true addiction!! That, and sugar...

Hang in there, Britainton.

First, just do what you do, but track your time. And I don't mean track it like you're billing it. I mean track it every waking moment. See where you're spinning your wheels on things that, in the clear light of day, you know aren't as important as they feel at the moment that you do them.

Then the next thing that you'll do is train yourself to notice when you're doing those things, and pay attention AT THAT MOMENT to why you're doing them.

So, for me, it's cleaning, or going onto FB or ADDF, or sometimes watching TV. I'll get all wound up about something and binge on late night TV, or I'll clean the whole house when I have a brief due in two days. Ditto with FB. I start on something and then feel compelled to check FB or ADDF. And if I pay attention to why I'm doing those things, it's because I'm anxious about whatever the thing is, and simply diving into it makes me MORE anxious, so I seek relief from that.

Do those two exercises for a few days, and eventually what you'll do with that knowledge is you will learn to let the "symptoms" (cleaning, FB or ADDF, or TV, for me), be your signal that you're anxious, and then you'll train yourself to "treat" the anxiety with a better drug. The new, better drug will be WORKING ON THE THING THAT MAKES YOU ANXIOUS for just 30 minutes, no matter what.

Eventually, you train yourself to do that FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, and that gets you off and running every day, so that you're no longer on the treadmill day in and day out. You're on top of your files, and you feel GOOD about your own abilities, and once that fear is taken away, you're actually MORE CREATIVE, MORE PRODUCTIVE, BETTER PREPARED, and just generally more sane feeling...

Go Britainton, go!!!

Britainton (03-07-13), Mr Digital 01 (03-07-13)
Old 03-07-13, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Hang in there, Britainton.
(picturing that old motivational poster of a cat hanging from a tree branch)

Quote:
First, just do what you do, but track your time. And I don't mean track it like you're billing it. I mean track it every waking moment. See where you're spinning your wheels on things that, in the clear light of day, you know aren't as important as they feel at the moment that you do them.

Then the next thing that you'll do is train yourself to notice when you're doing those things, and pay attention AT THAT MOMENT to why you're doing them.
Fair enough. I've just opened an Excel spreadsheet and put: 6:44: "tea, ADDF" Why am I doing this? Well, I happen to like tea, and I wanted to check up on ADDF. Maybe I'll close this "Izismile" tab I have open, because I really don't need to look at more pictures of cats doing cute/funny/dangerous things. There, that was satisfying. I'm still going to check on "Language Log" and "Strictly Speaking" because those are fun and rarely too time-consuming.

Quote:
So, for me, it's cleaning, or going onto FB or ADDF, or sometimes watching TV. I'll get all wound up about something and binge on late night TV, or I'll clean the whole house when I have a brief due in two days. Ditto with FB. I start on something and then feel compelled to check FB or ADDF. And if I pay attention to why I'm doing those things, it's because I'm anxious about whatever the thing is, and simply diving into it makes me MORE anxious, so I seek relief from that.
Your FB, TV, and housecleaning is my peripatetic web surfing, language/linguistics stuff, and crossword puzzles, but I get you. These things are clearly anxiety-avoidance behaviors (although the anxiety remains present during these "escape" activities), but this morning I told myself: "You're going to go into your office, make tea, sit down, and clean and organize your office", and yet here I am. I don't want to say I can't just jump into work first thing in the morning, it's just that it appears that way, and that I lack the force of will to do so.

Quote:
Do those two exercises for a few days, and eventually what you'll do with that knowledge is you will learn to let the "symptoms" (cleaning, FB or ADDF, or TV, for me), be your signal that you're anxious, and then you'll train yourself to "treat" the anxiety with a better drug. The new, better drug will be WORKING ON THE THING THAT MAKES YOU ANXIOUS for just 30 minutes, no matter what.
This drug is a bitter pill indeed. But maybe "30 minutes" instead of "until it's done" will be the spoonful of sugar that will make it go down easier. Yes, I just referenced "Mary Poppins". I'm anxious, okay; odd things spring to mind.

Quote:
Eventually, you train yourself to do that FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, and that gets you off and running every day, so that you're no longer on the treadmill day in and day out. You're on top of your files, and you feel GOOD about your own abilities, and once that fear is taken away, you're actually MORE CREATIVE, MORE PRODUCTIVE, BETTER PREPARED, and just generally more sane feeling...
From your mouth to God's ears. Okay, while we're on the topic of theology, I'll take this "leap of faith" with you and see where I land. I'll briefly look over my two favorite websites, and then immediately clean the office and update my case list for 30 minutes. Then, I'll start on my Superior Court brief for 30 minutes. I'll post an update at lunch, but no internet until then. If I have a "break", I'll get more hot water for tea or make small talk with someone

Quote:
Go Britainton, go!!!
Thanks! We'll see. Re-reading my post, it comes off as an exercise in confessional narcissistic exhibitionism, but without such things, what would the internet be, right?

Last edited by Britainton; 03-07-13 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Britainton For This Useful Post:
Mr Digital 01 (03-07-13)
Old 03-07-13, 10:03 AM

Quote:
This drug is a bitter pill indeed. But maybe "30 minutes" instead of "until it's done" will be the spoonful of sugar that will make it go down easier.
Yes, that is a key part. I often find it hard to stop, but then I burn out later.

I'm glad that you made the point about not having the "will," because it raises an important issue. Early on, try having the file that you choose to work on first thing in the morning be something that isn't due for, say, two weeks. You'll be less anxious over it, then, and it will be easier to start. Then two weeks later, when that thing is due, you'll see the benefit, and it'll get easier and easier to pick up projects.

BTW, sometimes, when my office is a disaster and I need to clean it before I can work on the next thing (just because otherwise I'm paranoid about mixing up files), I ask my paralegal to help me clean it. She and I laugh about it because we're pretty much the same people, except it's easier to clean someone else's office than your own.

I'll be interested to read your report, but I may not get to until tomorrow, just fyi.

Britainton (03-07-13), Mr Digital 01 (03-07-13)
Old 03-07-13, 11:27 AM

Wink Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Heh heh. Man, I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep last night, so I watched stupid tv for a few hours and I am a *******' basket case today. I can't focus on anything.

Lest you guys think me immune to these sorts of things...

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Mr Digital 01 (03-07-13)
Old 03-07-13, 12:43 PM

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I just know this book will freak me out - so I've decided to buy it when I'm in the states this summer. September is the best time of year for me to implement changes.

I can't believe I'm procrastinating, on buying a book on overcoming procrastination!

thanks for posting all of this.

(I am also really wondering what stupid TV you were watching, but that would derail this thread..)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Mr Digital 01 (03-07-13), String (03-07-13)
Old 03-07-13, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I can't believe I'm procrastinating, on buying a book on overcoming procrastination!
Heh heh.

I can't recall most of the stupid tv. It was too late for my favorite TPT documentaries, etc., so I think that it was mostly old tv shows. Mr. Ed was one of them.

Why will this book "freak you out?"

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Mr Digital 01 (03-07-13)
Old 03-08-13, 09:15 AM

Yesterday and today are the worst setups for me -- no court appearances, and only 1 client meeting, so my time is my own. That is rarely a good thing. Keeping track of my time seemed to help, though; maybe today will be even better? Who knows. I have to get this brief done today because I do not want to come in over the weekend!

5:30 Alarm, teeth, shower, dressed

6:05 bus

6:44 Tea
ADD forums
Language Log
Futility Closet

7:30 Case list updates
Phone call from client
File review, memo to self

9:05 Tea
Voicemails
Phone call to client

9:29 Begin organizing appellate brief

9:30 annotate hearing transcript.

10:00 meeting with secretary.

10:04 Back to appellate brief

10:10 Internet break

10:21 Back to brief

10:30 chit chat, internet break

11:00 Back to brief

11:43 Slowing down, hungry, anxious about finishing brief before too late on Friday. Not taking lunch, so quick internet break.

1:00 "quick" Break over, back to brief

2:15 tea, chit-chat, net.

2:45 client meeting

4:00 Internet game

5:00 bus
The Following User Says Thank You to Britainton For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-08-13)
Old 03-08-13, 09:24 AM

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Heh heh.

I can't recall most of the stupid tv. It was too late for my favorite TPT documentaries, etc., so I think that it was mostly old tv shows. Mr. Ed was one of them.

Why will this book "freak you out?"
I don't want to note EVERYTHING I do
I don't want to start my day with the thing I least want to do. UGH.

Mr Ed? wow it must have been really late...
I think I woke up to that once after I fell asleep because of jet lag.