ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-13, 11:36 AM

Britainton is on a distinguished road
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

I've been working nonstop from 7:30 to 10:30, even though I was up this morning from 4:00 to 6:00 reading.

It would normally be at this point that I would congratulate myself with a nice binge of notworking, but in light of Sandy's inspirational chronicle from paralysis to effectiveness, there's no reason I can't be firing on all pistons as well, right?

Also, welcome to the "club," Digital.
The Following User Says Thank You to Britainton For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-20-13)
Old 02-20-13, 11:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Yes, Britainton, BUT!!!

Make sure to reward yourself with something every half hour, even if it's merely a 15 minute break on a less onerous task. Because I work from home, I often switch in chores for that. Works great!

And when you've got 4 or 5 hours in, give yourself a REAL break, like going for a walk, or having a beer with a friend, or whatever makes you HAPPY.

Do that just a few days in a row, and you'll find yourself asking (as he says you will), "When can I start [on whatever you need to work on]?" You'll see the work as directly connected to the reward. It's like it's Pavlovian...

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Britainton (02-20-13), String (02-20-13)
Old 02-20-13, 11:57 AM

Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Of course, Digital. Come on in! The more the merrier.

I am always a "more the merrier" kind of gal. The only thing that I wanted to make sure with this group was that the participants would try to read the book, or listen to it, not because I want to sell the book ('cause it's in the library, too, in a lot of places), but because it wouldn't be fair to the author to sort of "restate" it too much on here, if that makes sense...

Now if we could only drag Fuzzy over here... Hmmmmmmm....

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.

Last edited by Sandy4957; 02-20-13 at 12:09 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Mr Digital 01 (02-20-13), String (02-20-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-13, 12:31 PM
Contributor

Mr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
Of course, Digital. Come on in! The more the merrier.

I am always a "more the merrier" kind of gal. The only thing that I wanted to make sure with this group was that the participants would try to read the book, or listen to it, not because I want to sell the book ('cause it's in the library, too, in a lot of places), but because it wouldn't be fair to the author to sort of "restate" it too much on here, if that makes sense...

Now if we could only drag Fuzzy over here... Hmmmmmmm....
Thanks Sandy
I have downloaded the e-book and will start reading it tomorrow.
I know I will be behind the main pack, but hey, that's the story of my life!

I have read the whole thread so I have an overview of where you guys are at and the content of the book.
I will check in when I get somewhere with the reading. I'm looking forward to this, I'm not usually a groupy
kinda guy but I'm sure this will be helpful and fun!

Cheers
Dig
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Digital 01 For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-20-13)
Old 02-20-13, 12:44 PM

Regarding Pavlov, I would love to "de-condition" a great many of my cognitive/behavioral patterns, and "re-condition" them with helpful ones.

I'm going to court briefly to process a support order (nice brief walk), and when I get back, I've got to tackle Onus Number One and promise myself not to do anything else until it's done.

There is also apparently, "The Now Habit at Work: Perform Optimally, Maintain Focus, and Ignite Motivation in Yourself and Others ". Would that be a better buy if my uselessness is primarily work-oriented, or should I stick with "The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play"? I know myself, I'll only read one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Britainton For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-20-13), String (02-21-13)
Old 02-20-13, 01:48 PM

Yes, Britainton... My epiphany this time with re-reading this book is that it really is about re-conditioning yourself, which is why it's like training a dog, or cat, or horse, or whatever. (Maybe kids, to some degree...)

You're teaching your brain, "If I do X, I get a reward," and reminding yourself that doing Y (i.e., procrastinating) is not REALLY an escape from what you're trying to escape (i.e., anxiety). You think that it is because it's an escape from work, but in reality, procrastinating is its own form of "work" and actually increases what you don't want (i.e., anxiety).

I have read both books and found the second to be largely repetitive of the first, but a little more focused on management. It more or less expands on the last chapter of the first book.

I'd say if you only read one, make it the first book.

And if we expand this thread to any of his other books, I would suggest that it be "Be Your Strongest Self," which I also read, but which is a larger holistic thing, and I really wasn't capable of "getting" it when I read it. I still needed to conquer this basic problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
String (02-21-13)
Old 02-20-13, 02:03 PM

P.S. Britainton, if I may suggest something, I'd re-think this strategy slightly...

Quote:
promise myself not to do anything else until it's done.
Promise yourself that you'll START on Onus Number One and work on it for 30 minutes and see what develops. Don't focus on finishing it. Focus on starting it.

Now, back when I tried this a long time ago, I tried to do that, but in the back of my mind, I kept thinking "Yeah, but I still gotta finish it by X date because it's a court deadline," so I was still pretty locked into my old thinking on it. I went from court deadline to court deadline without any breaks. I never started projects that were further out from the deadline because they weren't due yet, and I would tell myself that I only needed to start a brief, say, a week or so before it was due.

The Unschedule reveals the fallacy in that thinking, because a week is not 40 productive hours. A week is maybe 20 productive hours, at best, and yet you need 40 to write the brief.

The epiphany here, for a litigator like you and me (who, for the rest of y'all have court deadlines that CANNOT be missed), is that it was critical to start on a project that WASN'T due. So even though you have Onus Number One (and it will help to spend 30 minutes on that), plan to spend another 30 minutes somewhere today on a project that will be Onus Number One in about a month, as well.

Early on, you'll still be playing catch-up and crunch times will be unavoidable. But a month from now you'll be starting that other project in earnest, but you'll already have 10 hours in on it. And in the meantime, having STARTED it will mean that you think through things like, "I should order up these records now," or you'll delegate things out to people so that when the new month-from-now Onus is Onus Number One, it will not be stressful.

Make sense?

Old 02-20-13, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Digital 01 View Post
I know I will be behind the main pack, but hey, that's the story of my life!
You won't be behind. Many of us are really just starting to work through the book.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to String For This Useful Post:
Mr Digital 01 (02-22-13), Sandy4957 (02-20-13)
Old 02-20-13, 03:56 PM

Yeah, not at all, Mr. Digital. The more the merrier. I started this up knowing that I would be "ahead" of most of the participants. Mainly, I knew that starting up a thread like this would help motivate me to keep at it. So it was a selfish reason, to be honest...

Mr Digital 01 (02-22-13)
Old 02-20-13, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Promise yourself that you'll START on Onus Number One and work on it for 30 minutes and see what develops. Don't focus on finishing it. Focus on starting it.
Started on O#1 at 1:30 (pretrial statement due Monday -- ha!), now 3:15; taking a break.

Quote:
I went from court deadline to court deadline without any breaks. I never started projects that were further out from the deadline because they weren't due yet, and I would tell myself that I only needed to start a brief, say, a week or so before it was due.
The familiarity is uncanny...

Quote:
The epiphany here, for a litigator like you and me (who, for the rest of y'all have court deadlines that CANNOT be missed), is that it was critical to start on a project that WASN'T due. So even though you have Onus Number One (and it will help to spend 30 minutes on that), plan to spend another 30 minutes somewhere today on a project that will be Onus Number One in about a month, as well.
This will be difficult. I'm only a week behind in my timesheets; does that count?

Quote:
Early on, you'll still be playing catch-up and crunch times will be unavoidable. But a month from now you'll be starting that other project in earnest, but you'll already have 10 hours in on it. And in the meantime, having STARTED it will mean that you think through things like, "I should order up these records now," or you'll delegate things out to people so that when the new month-from-now Onus is Onus Number One, it will not be stressful.
I just realized, now, that there are some bank statements that I very much need by Monday. This could indeed have been avoided...

Quote:
Make sense?
This makes perfect sense. To finally work without mortal dread would be unimaginably gleeful. I shall now cease stealing intellectual property and order the book.
Old 02-20-13, 09:30 PM

Red face Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Quote:
I'm only a week behind in my timesheets; does that count?

I have a month and a half's worth of time to enter....

For the non-lawyers, we often bill in six-minute increments, so that means that I have to account for 45 days worth of roughly 4-hour time blocks ('cause I bill an average of 4 hours per day), where I can have as many as 10 blocks per hour...

That's... (tries to do math in head and gives up and grabs calculator...): up to 1800 time entries.

Chrimineys, I never did that math before. Yikes!!!

Old 02-21-13, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I have a month and a half's worth of time to enter....

For the non-lawyers, we often bill in six-minute increments, so that means that I have to account for 45 days worth of roughly 4-hour time blocks ('cause I bill an average of 4 hours per day), where I can have as many as 10 blocks per hour...

That's... (tries to do math in head and gives up and grabs calculator...): up to 1800 time entries.

Chrimineys, I never did that math before. Yikes!!!
It sounds like timesheets might be the sort of thing you just grit your teeth and bear in 30-minute bursts, before running off to do something not quite so tedious and soul-destroying.
Old 02-22-13, 04:44 PM

Oh, I'll get it done in a marathon session this weekend. I have software that helps a lot because it tracks emails, and that lets me know where I was spending my time.

Now that I'm working with my new "system," it's easier to track the time because I actually enter it with each half hour. So going forward, I'll be fine again.

And back when I was in a larger firm, I entered my time almost every day, just because you have to to "capture" that much time. But I've slacked since being on my own.

String (02-23-13)
Old 03-02-13, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

BTW, all, I'm working on an update for you.

Suffice to say that this new "system" of mine is working hugely, and I'm able to see what happens now when I "slide" a bit, which is a huge help because it makes it clear that that AWFUL, "I suck" feeling that I lived with for SO ******* LONG is avoidable. It's manageable. It GOES AWAY, guys! It goes away and STAYS GONE if you stick to the program.

In fact, when you fall off the program a little, you're fine for a day or two. But after about two, you start to get that "I suck" feeling back , and then it'll stay (it doesn't get worse, because you can see that there's a solution, at least). But the only remedy is to get back on the horse and wake up again the next morning "in the program."

Not sure if that makes sense. But last month was a remarkable, TRANSFORMING experience for me, so please don't give up on this concept. It's the only thing that has ever really WORKED in my 46 years on this planet.

Old 03-02-13, 12:12 PM

P.S. I am now re-reading The Now Habit At Work. It's repetitive, but it's a newer book, so the statements are pithier, and a little helpful. Oh, and I did not recognize this before, but he pretty clearly states in the first chapter of that book that he has ADHD and dyslexia. I'll get you guys a quote and you can see what you think, but I think that that's what he says.