ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-13, 04:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

It is WRITTEN for folks like you, Twiggy. It's not written to the average gee-I-just-don't-feel-like-doing-dishes-today person...

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 02-12-13, 05:00 PM

Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

I should say, folks like us, 'cause I do that too, sometimes...

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Footsore Ramble (02-12-13)
Old 02-12-13, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Footsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
Ok, got derailed for a couple days and did my "thing," which is to binge on some TV show for a night or two ...
Ha, that's my thing too. Bingeing on either books or TV. Once I start, get outta my way, because I am finishing TODAY (or possibly tomorrow), beeyotches! If only I could work like that ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Footsore Ramble For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-12-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 09:29 PM

Red face Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Quote:
If only I could work like that ...
I actually DO work like that sometimes, but generally only when I have the pressure of a looming deadline.

Thing is, I ENJOY the work when I do that, but somehow it's pulling teeth to "force" myself to do it, which is how I know that the Now Habit ideas are right. I enjoy my work, but I'm terrified of it being judged and found wanting in any way...

So, ok, Footsore, I just finished the first season of Game of Thrones, as well as Netflix's House of Cards. Other favorites are: Dexter, Justified, MI-5, Lost, The X-files... hmmmmmmmmm... sensing a pattern, here?

OMG: Damages. I can't believe that I forgot that one. That's a one-day deal because I can NOT stop once that one is going...

Oh, and Breaking Bad. Yes, there is a serious pattern developing, here...

Lest one think that I lack class, I also enjoy Downton Abbey... Oh, and Sherlock... And just about any documentary.

Old 02-13-13, 03:40 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute

I make lists and than secondary lists with only several elements of the last one on it. One for the week - one for each day. (and obviously one in general for all the sh*t that's got to be done)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilthranon For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-13-13)
Old 02-13-13, 02:02 PM

I am finding that there is very real benefit in putting in 1/2 an hour on your TOP priority thing first, and if you struggle to figure out what is the top priority (as I often do), then go with your gut. Whatever is keeping you awake at night, or seems the least palatable, or (in my case) is most likely to generate cash flow ('cause we're in a crunch right now) is my top priority.

Then the lower priority stuff that is less noxious, or anxiety provoking, or whatever, becomes a "reward" even.

Old 02-13-13, 03:26 PM

Ocyan, I have similar lists, but I use software for it. The big list can be completely overwhelming if you don't break it down that way.

I make them recurring so that they'll pop back up again eventually if I don't get to them.

And the thing is, sometimes listing an item gets it off my mind. Then when it pops up on my list of "to dos" I can say, "Yeah, that's not that important right now," and check it off, so that I don't worry about it again for, say, six months.

Old 02-13-13, 04:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Footsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thing is, I ENJOY the work when I do that, but somehow it's pulling teeth to "force" myself to do it, which is how I know that the Now Habit ideas are right. I enjoy my work, but I'm terrified of it being judged and found wanting in any way...
I am right there with you. I love my job, and I know I can deliver the quality when I am in the groove ... which just makes the fear of failure so much worse (and dare I say, self-fulfilling, sigh).

Quote:
So, ok, Footsore, I just finished the first season of Game of Thrones, as well as Netflix's House of Cards. Other favorites are: Dexter, Justified, MI-5, Lost, The X-files... hmmmmmmmmm... sensing a pattern, here?

OMG: Damages. I can't believe that I forgot that one. That's a one-day deal because I can NOT stop once that one is going...

Oh, and Breaking Bad. Yes, there is a serious pattern developing, here...

Lest one think that I lack class, I also enjoy Downton Abbey... Oh, and Sherlock... And just about any documentary.
I have Breaking Bad on my list, but haven't started it yet. Everyone keeps telling me how awesome it is, so I'm sure I'll get around to it. I'm pretty well behind the curve with most TV -- just finished season 2 of Mad Men. I'm a big fan of Doctor Who, too. I also love documentaries. I'm actually pretty reluctant to start watching/reading something I know has a lot of books/episodes, because I will feel compelled to finish the WHOLE THING at an unreasonable pace. And, yes, I will skip classes or call in sick at work to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Footsore Ramble For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-18-13)
Old 02-18-13, 12:30 PM

Britainton is on a distinguished road

Got to work at just after 9:00 today (have a cold, slept in, still have cold), and it's just about 11:30 and have done precisely nothing productive.

So, Sandy, it seems your first step was keeping track of all your time, so I'll start with that, and then just do _something_, because I don't think I have the psychic energy to do the _most_ onerous thing I could do right this second.

As for the book, I'm working through (i.e. casually browsing) "Stress Management for Lawyers", and if that doesn't work, the book you recommended is next; I'm always up for something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Britainton For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-18-13)
Old 02-18-13, 02:09 PM

Just spend 30 minutes on the most onerous thing Britainton. That's the only way to do it. Just jump in and do whatever you can for 30 minutes.

By the end of it, the panic will subside a little ('cause that feeling is a lot like panic) and you'll start to see what you can do NOW on it.

And, as the book will tell you, NOT WORKING on that one onerous thing is itself WORK for you, because it will continue to haunt you until you work on it. At least if you do SOMETHING on it, you'll feel better when it comes time to go to sleep.

Old 02-18-13, 02:44 PM

Britainton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[...] NOT WORKING on that one onerous thing is itself WORK for you, because it will continue to haunt you [...] when it comes time to go to sleep.
There is much truth here spoke, though, alas, I wish it were not so.

Lo, many a night (including last one) did I kindle the reading lamp to peruse tomes of ancient lore (read Acts I & II of Macbeth last night!) whilst my spirit did wrestle with the burdens of unfinished time sheets, incomplete discovery, and poorly attended-to trial preparation.

Is that a Property Settlement Agreement which I see before me?

Methought I heard a voice cry 'Sleep no more!
MacBritainton does murder sleep', the innocent sleep,
Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleeve of care,
The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast,--

Anon, I must phone the expert witness, the client, the pension administrator, opposing counsel, and draft the Agreement, lest one more month of spousal support pass.

So, 15 minutes is long enough for 20 mg of Adderall to kick in, I suppose I should get on this, then. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Britainton For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-18-13)
Old 02-19-13, 06:37 PM

Cool Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Ok, so I thought that I'd give y'all a progress report, here. Apologies in advance for the length.

I re-read the book up through the last chapter on managing procrastinators. I'll finish that, as well, but just haven't yet.

And I've implemented almost everything he says to do, with the exception of the mindfulness stuff. I do that on occasion, when I'm hugely overwhelmed, but it doesn't seem to be necessary otherwise.

So, just for reference, here is what the "old me" looked like. It's what brought me to this forum about five years ago.

I was basically Fuzzy. (Sorry Fuzzy, but it's too easy to explain that way ). I felt like my job hinged on every little piece of work product, EVERY time. So I was afraid to ever let anyone see a half-finished piece of work product, and yet, I could never finish things. Give me a high-priority, emergency project where everyone will think me a hero and I was all over it. I'd pull all-nighters and bust out outstanding work product. But give me "plenty of time" to work on something and I wouldn't get to it and wouldn't get to it and wouldn't get to it until it was the latest crisis, and then I'd kill myself like it was any other last-minute project to get it done. And the work product was always good, but I was dying. I was living on less and less sleep and had constant anxiety. My BP was 200/100 and I was DESPERATE FOR AN ANSWER. I wanted an immediate fix, something that would allow me to become the person who I wanted to see myself as, the person who I planned to become, every weekend telling myself that THIS WEEK I'll get to work by 9:00 am, and THIS week I'll bill X number of hours per day, and THIS WEEK I won't go onto ADDF or read news sites, or clean my kitchen until all hours of the night just because it was soothing.

Fast forward to the more recent me, but still not the "new" me. The anxiety is largely gone because I no longer work with crazy people. But fixing the issues and developing a routine has still been a bit of a struggle, in part because I have a new anxiety about cash flow, basically. I will usually be fine, but then something comes along that rattles my cage and I get behind and am useless for a couple weeks.

That's why I decided to re-read the book and to really dedicate myself to trying to follow its advice.

It's dawned on me that there's a lot of faith involved, here. If you, like me, have NEVER had "normal" work habits, it doesn't seem possible that any one program will make the difference. So we try them, and we read a lot of self-help books, etc. (or as a good friend here would say, we skim the Tables of Contents of a lot of self-help books... ), but then we either implement only a little, or implement briefly and then give up when it isn't an instant fix, etc.

It became clear to me that this was going to have to be like a few other things that I've learned about recently. It would be like business development. No one relationship will make or break your business. No one project is likely to make you "set" for life. What works are the cumulative effects of a lot of small relationships, plugging away, getting the bills out, etc. And the only thing that was stopping me from being able to get those things done was worrying that each time I sat down to do them, my whole reputation or livelihood was on the line...

So, this time, I decided to put the faith in the system itself, and see what happened.

At first, the answer was, "not much," and that was very frustrating. But then somehow I "got" the need to work on the top priority project first. I'd heard that, of course, and it made intuitive sense, but I kept waiting for it to feel "right," before I would just DO IT. When I decided to put faith in the system itself, I did it without knowing whether it would work. And lo and behold, it clearly did. Spending 30 minutes in the morning, first thing, on whatever kept me up the night before made me feel good about myself, and it opened the door to a lot of other stuff.

Like truly "guilt free" periods. I have to admit that I've had VERY FEW truly guilt free periods IN MY LIFE. I always feel like I "should" be doing something, and the only time that I ever gave myself a break was after a truly mind-boggling 5-day marathon work session (with no sleep). Otherwise, if I didn't "have to" work, I still "should be" working out, or cleaning things, or even visiting my horse (which I loved, but couldn't get myself to do very often)... Meanwhile, I did things like go to ADDF and Facebook and read news sights to take mental breaks all the time, and when something was looming over me and making me anxious, I did it all the more.

The other thing that has made a big difference was getting my doctor's permission to try taking a very low dose of Adderall daily (while monitoring my blood pressure), to see if I can get a routine going and get my conditioning up so that I can exercise more strenuously again, at which point (we hope) I may not need the Adderall anymore (or, alternatively, if my BP drops because of improved weight and conditioning, then the Adderall may not make my hypertensive).

Ok, so here's what my routine is now. This method is working so well that I'm posting about it now, even though we've only been doing it for a little while. I can just tell from the way that it's going that this routine is finally going to STICK. So here it is:

My alarm goes off at 6:00 am, regardless of what time I went to bed. I have set out the following the night before: my calendar for the next day, printed out, and enough material for me to be able to work on my biggest priority project for 30 minutes.

The hubster turns on all the lights immediately, and brings me a cup of decaf. coffee, a tablespoon of fish oil, and my "vitamins," which include the 2.5 mg of Adderall that I take twice a day right now. I take my vitamins and the fish oil, and the first thing that I do is set out my "unschedule" for that day in my calendar. (I use electronic calendars, but doing the Unschedule on the electronic calendar is too much of a pain).

Then I work on my highest priority project for 30 minutes, or sometimes an hour. Then I get up, make the bed, brush my teeth or whatever, and work out.

I am actually working out ROUTINELY now, and ENJOYING IT for the first time since college.

We often have protein-fruit shakes around 10:00 am, and then we're eating lunch for about 1/2 an hour midday, when I take my second dose of 2.5 mg Adderall. We cook and eat dinner together starting at 5:00 pm.

And I am being highly productive. I'm ahead of schedule, even on large, usually overwhelming projects. It feels GREAT to be the person that I want to be, instead of the person that I always fear is lurking in the background, waiting to fail.

So how cool is that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Britainton (02-20-13), Footsore Ramble (02-19-13), String (02-19-13)
Old 02-19-13, 07:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

Quote:
So how cool is that?
That's very cool! Thanks for motivating us with your example.

This book addresses all the things I'm working on right now: reducing anxiety, mindfulness, staying organized and productive. And it addresses them with an honesty that I don't find in many other books with similar "programs" for success.

I've just started reading it again. I hope that as I work on these things I'll be able to do half as well as you, Sandy!
The Following User Says Thank You to String For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-19-13)
Old 02-19-13, 10:03 PM

That was the thing that struck me, String. Other books on procrastination seemed to me to fail to address the psychology of it. They just made me feel more inept and more shameful. This book made perfect sense. I just didn't have the ability to have "faith" in the system when I first read it.

The proof will be in the pudding, so we'll see whether we're able to maintain this system ('cause the hubster is an important component in it), but so far, so good.

Today I took a "guilt free" bath and read the last portion of the last chapter, just because I said I would.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
String (02-20-13)
Old 02-20-13, 04:22 AM
Contributor

Mr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of lightMr Digital 01 is a glorious beacon of light

*puts up hand enthusiastically*... Miss Sandy, Miss Sandy...
I know it's late and all but I would really like to join you guys if you'd let me? can I? can I? can I? please?

I downloaded the e-book book last night and I'm going to try to read it tonight. I really won't be too much trouble. Please?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Digital 01 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (02-20-13), Sandy4957 (02-20-13)