ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-13, 07:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,211 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Sandy! I am proud of you for handing your opinion letter to your husband. I hope it's going well, you're feeling less blue and you can stay in your groove.

Froze the food.

Using backward chronological feels weird... but it does feel less pressurizing, kind of better.

Choosing also feels much better, if scary. I did alot of anti-perfectionist self-talk yesterday and was successful. Have to preserve whatever sanity I have left. It is not necessary to pressure myself into paralysis. As a result of letting go, I was able to get more done.

I went to pick up the baby's passport yesterday. Trudging through a fresh snowfall for about 30 minutes with a stroller I got a good workout. I went to the market and the plan for braised lamb chops went sunder when I discovered they didn't have any lamb chops.

ADD and general disorientation took over and I ended up at the seafood counter (mesmerized by the many varieties of fish that I don't know how to cook) asking for small amounts of everything. I panicked, could not think, my list was moot... and that was the best I could do. I ended up making celery root/turnip soup with cream and ouzo in chicken bone broth and just laying out a platter of random Swedish seafood things and hard breads. It went fine.

I did not get to work on my design files.
Which is what I was I wanted to use the Now Habit and this thread on.
I'm not taking my computer with me, so I'll have time to listen to the book all the way through. Hopefully it will help me in the future.

I am packing right now and trying to get the apartment in order to leave at 5am tomorrow morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs. dobbs For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-08-13)
Old 02-08-13, 04:54 PM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Here's the thing that I'm finding now. You have to work on the top priority FIRST, but just for 30 minutes. That's what really does buy you the "guilt-free" periods. We got our opinion letter out the door and now we're working on things where we're not behind, and it is a piece of cake (I'm finding) to just do 30 minutes on a top priority. Then maybe 30 minutes more. Then maybe 30 more. Then 30 on something else that's a high priority but not a top priority, etc.

We both (the hubster and me) are using this rule, in part because a piece of what was shutting me down was that HE was working on things that were not bringing in money. They were important projects, to be sure, but not PAYING projects, and that was giving me a lot more anxiety and freezing me up. So now we both have a rule. We both spend four hours on PAYING projects first, and then the rest is whatever we want to do, and that's working just fine.

Turns out that he's right: you get a heck of a lot done in four hours of focused work... And then you feel just fine taking a break.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 02-08-13, 04:58 PM

Britainton is on a distinguished road

Ooh, is it too late for me to get on board? Sandy, you may remember me from a year or two ago (I forgot my password and had to re-register). I'm the burning-out lawyer from Pennsylvania, who's still burning out, but slower now, and looking to "reignite".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Britainton For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (02-09-13), Footsore Ramble (02-11-13), Sandy4957 (02-08-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 09:20 PM

Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all, Britainton. Welcome to the party!

If you're in crisis mode and can't focus long enough to read the whole book, here's what I recommend. Download the audiobook to your iPod or cell phone (or check it out from a local library, which I only discovered was possible after I'd bought it), and listen to it. It's helpful to have the hard copy because you can see the charts and stuff, but either way, you'll get the gist from the audiobook.

I have yet to really PRINT OUT and block out the Unschedule for myself, yet. And I'm not getting exercise like I want, but I am starting to think "like a producer," as he puts it. I find myself asking when I can "start" on something and worrying much less about finishing, which really does freeze me up BIG TIME.

But the proof will be in the pudding next week because I just had a big writing project assigned to me due next Friday, so here we go...

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 02-09-13, 05:42 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute

I want to participate sooo badly in this... but the amounts of text overwhelm me... I feel so tiny now
Old 02-09-13, 11:49 AM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocyan View Post
I want to participate sooo badly in this... but the amounts of text overwhelm me... I feel so tiny now
Screw the text! Just make it up as you go!
Old 02-09-13, 04:59 PM

Yeah, just jump in. Can you find the book in German?

Ok, if the Google translation is right, here it is in German, Ocyan:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...pshilfezumb-21

Old 02-10-13, 02:59 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute

Great, now it's certain I won't understand it... why not Japanese ? =P Why the hell German ? I live in the French part of Switzerland, almost trilingual with English (written mistakes are rather clumsyness) and originally am Dutch, appreciate the input but... =P
Old 02-11-13, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

I want to thank Mrs. Dobbs and Sandy for reminding me of the reverse chronology ideas in the Now Habit. Maybe some of my own anxiety and current difficulty looking ahead can be resolved if I start applying them.
The Following User Says Thank You to String For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-11-13)
Old 02-11-13, 04:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Footsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the rough

I have 2 projects that I want to apply a reverse calendar to. Ironically, I'm procrastinating on that, although I'm being productive enough on my regular tasks.

I think the thing holding me back is fear that I will forget a dependent step or something. But here's the deal: I'm going to spend the next 15 minutes working on this, and not worry about whether the result is perfectly correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Footsore Ramble For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (02-11-13)
Old 02-11-13, 05:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

Footsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the rough

Ha! Did it. One of them is pretty vague still -- it's a creative project, and I basically just set a deadline for the final draft that gives me time to frame it.

The other is a work project, and the reverse calendaring was quite useful. I know what my halfway point is now, which isn't simple a matter of dividing the number of days 'til it's due in half, because I had to take into account previously scheduled field days. But I know what daily pace I need to be setting in order to finish in time, and it is quite reasonable.
Sandy4957 (02-12-13)
Old 02-11-13, 06:39 PM

Footsore, oral argument preparation is a bit like that. There's a final deadline, and you can lay out steps, but basically, you just have to come up with a "speech" that feels compelling. So there's a fair amount of creativity involved, and here's what I found really works for that:

Set up appointments in which people you respect will see your "draft" of whatever it is. Make sure that they are people who you are just a little bit intimidated by (i.e., not your spouse, or someone whose opinion about you will be good regardless of how this project goes over), because that will force you to make the project presentable by that date.

I had a big oral argument a while back and it was very intimidating to me, but I mocked it twice to people whose opinion mattered to me, and even though I was not showing them my A game, yet (because I didn't have it yet), what they saw had to be presentable.

Make sense?

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Footsore Ramble (02-11-13)
Old 02-11-13, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

That does make sense, and it's great advice. I'll try to schedule a couple of 'critiques' along those lines.
Sandy4957 (02-12-13)
Old 02-12-13, 02:21 PM

Ok, got derailed for a couple days and did my "thing," which is to binge on some TV show for a night or two, but now I'm back AND I have a new Rx for Adderall again. I had pretty much run out and was also reluctant to take it because of my blood pressure. But the doc. ok'd a "test run" of a month of my eensy weensy dose (with regular BP checks) to see if I can jump start an exercise program...

Old 02-12-13, 02:33 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold

Would this book work if a person is a chronic time waster and a procrastinator?
That's what I am. I can waste away the whole day and not get anything done.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.