ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-13, 02:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Sorry I missed this, Britainton. I was in the middle of settlement negotiations on something and didn't log in much.

My advice would have been to dive into it for 15-30 minutes, just to see what happened, and then go take a short break doing something rewarding (like getting lunch, or talking to a friend, or planning part of the weekend). And then I'd have tried to do several 30 minute stretches for the rest of the day with the thought that IF I finished it by the end of the day, I could avoid going in over the weekend.

I'll bet that not working on a weekend is an unusual treat for you, eh?

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 03-17-13, 04:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Footsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

So, this last week was interesting. I am pretty much caught up on my urgent stuff, and so I was able to put time into some non-urgent things of varying importance. My normal habit would be to slack off at this point.

Well, I did slack off some, but not all the time. I cleaned my office on Monday, which resulted in me finding some useful papers and tools that I'd been missing. I finally finished reading a paper that a colleague gave me back in September (!) and put some thought into the response I want to give him.

I want to re-read the book at this point, especially the bit about changing your self-talk. I keep catching myself when I say 'I need to . . .' but I keep forgetting other scenarios. And I really want to try the meditation, but I can't hold the words in my head. So I guess I need to either make or find a recording.
The Following User Says Thank You to Footsore Ramble For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-17-13)
Old 03-17-13, 08:21 PM

Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Footsore, if you buy (or download) the audiobook (our local library has it online), you more or less have it as a guided meditation because it's his own voice. I found his own voice soothing. The reader that he had for "Awaken Your Strongest Self" annoyed the **** out of me...

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Footsore Ramble (03-17-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-13, 01:55 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
You'll feel some relief after two weeks, and it'll be much better in a month.

This is provided that NOW you are spending maybe just 30 minutes per day on something due in two weeks. Make sense?

You're taking advantage of your brain's ability to unconsciously process things...
How much are you making off of this, ma'am.

This sounds like it's worth a shot.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (03-18-13), Sandy4957 (03-18-13)
Old 03-18-13, 02:34 PM

Heh heh. Not a dime. I wish that I could make money doing this. Might be more fun than lawyering.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-19-13), Drewbacca (03-18-13)
Old 03-18-13, 03:09 PM
Well Modulated Moderator

Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,197 Posts
amberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant future

I had a big success last evening . It had already been a big day with a (wobbly) sick teen, a Student Support Gathering at his school (for said teen), a first marriage counseling session and juggling a power shut-down at home from 8:00am to 2:30pm.

Normally I would be done at that point. I did put my feet up for 15mins after getting home, but when Dd21 arrived to request help in her scheme to move her caravan out of the back yard I rallied and even though it was nearly dinner-time we all worked together to move the darned van out.

It wasn't easy... The job required all of us, even the wobbly one.

I was impressed at seeing my DH work so well with Dd21... They actually got down and problem-solved together... There was really positive communication happening.
The whole family worked at the problem and the van is now out of the way of the shed, which was one of my non-urgent but important tasks.

I did a quick rubbish cleanup before going in for dinner, but that area will be my yard task focus for the next couple of weeks.
Footsore Ramble (03-25-13), Mr Digital 01 (03-21-13), Sandy4957 (03-18-13)
Old 03-18-13, 05:54 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

This is a rare example of a thread that actually deserves to have 10+ pages. Nice job, Sandy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Footsore Ramble (03-25-13), Sandy4957 (03-18-13)
Old 03-18-13, 11:35 PM

Heh heh. Glad that you approve, Drewbacca.

Funny, I had an incredibly productive day and I am GRUMPY AS HELL, nonetheless.

The whole day was spent on administrative stuff. Once upon a time, I'd have felt GREAT at the end of such a day. Or at least, I'd have felt optimistic about all the stuff that I would get done the next day, etc. Instead, I am RAGING at the fact that I didn't get anything substantive done.

Sigh. We all have our lapses, and tomorrow is another day...

On the upside, I do have a much shorter to-do list now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-19-13), Drewbacca (03-19-13), Mr Digital 01 (03-21-13)
Old 03-19-13, 12:56 AM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning very poorly, Sandy. I'm working with a guy and have been behind on sending him samples for approval. Typical of ADD, it gets very late, and we're behind. Some of it has to do with my poor planning.

I make lists and I do them!

I think I'm not looking far enough in advance.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-19-13)
Old 03-19-13, 07:24 AM

Ok, so Anon., tomorrow morning (actually, THIS morning), first thing, before your first cup of coffee, or whatever, spend 30 minutes on developing samples. Don't think; don't plan it out; don't require that the samples be perfect. Just tell yourself that you only have to spend 30 minutes at it, and see what happens.

Report back. I'm curious.

P.S. Anon., have you read the Now Habit book? You can find it in a library. I suspect that his techniques would work especially well for you since you're self-employed.

anonymouslyadd (03-19-13)
Old 03-19-13, 07:34 AM

Lightbulb Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

BTW, all, I am doing something else to help to train myself to go into "observer" mode more readily. It's one of those Deepak Chopra 21-Day Meditation Challenges. You can find it here:

https://www.chopracentermeditation.c...spx?BookId=178

This one's with Oprah Winfrey and is about "perfect health," but that's not necessarily the critical part to me. For me, the critical part is that it's a lightly guided, approximately 15-minute daily meditation, and I find Chopra's voice to be soothing.

Oh, and it's free, so this isn't a sales pitch or anything.

Old 03-19-13, 08:49 AM

How funny that I spent all day yesterday clearing out clutter (actual and mental, in the form of a long to-do list of stupid administrative stuff, and today's meditation was on just that... LOL. Maybe my brain is ahead of me.

Old 03-19-13, 10:02 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Ok, so Anon., tomorrow morning (actually, THIS morning), first thing, before your first cup of coffee, or whatever, spend 30 minutes on developing samples. Don't think; don't plan it out; don't require that the samples be perfect. Just tell yourself that you only have to spend 30 minutes at it, and see what happens.

Report back. I'm curious.

P.S. Anon., have you read the Now Habit book? You can find it in a library. I suspect that his techniques would work especially well for you since you're self-employed.
Ugh, I didn't see this until now. I'll start tomorrow morning. Do you mean don't get dressed or feed the cat? I have my routines that I like to stick to.

I haven't read the Now Habit book. I can barely get through a murder mystery book, and I love them.

I think I need to check this book out.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-19-13, 10:11 PM

Get the audiobook and listen to it.

Here in Minneapolis, we can download the audiobook from the library, even.

Yes, I spend 30 minutes on something before I get out of bed. I don't know if you have to be that extreme, but the advantage is that then your brain is processing things while you, say, brush your teeth...

Old 03-19-13, 10:13 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Get the audiobook and listen to it.

Here in Minneapolis, we can download the audiobook from the library, even.

Yes, I spend 30 minutes on something before I get out of bed. I don't know if you have to be that extreme, but the advantage is that then your brain is processing things while you, say, brush your teeth...
I see your point.

I don't have a problem accomplishing things. My issue involves planning for things days and weeks in advance. Can the book still help me?

I would probably prefer the audio version.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-21-13)