ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 10-25-04, 01:26 AM

apm825 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up How to lower your blood pressure naturally

Well, the two ways you will hear from doctors is 1. Exercise and 2. Loose excess weight

I am on Adderall and the biggest drawback is the hypertension/high blood pressure side effect. Did a Google on "high blood pressure" and "supplements" and found out potassium, magnesium, and calcium help out very much.

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Inform...odpressure.htm

Thought I'd pass on the good news to those on blood pressure increasing stimulants.
Old 10-25-04, 12:46 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
My BP is way lower now than when I first started taking stimulants. Was 160/100 6 months ago ("White Coat" syndrome, big time!) and was measured today at 136/70.
Of course I am now: 1. Exercising every day and 2. 45 lbs lighter than 6 month's ago - so the doctors do have it right when they tell you what's best.
Old 10-25-04, 06:23 PM

apm825 is on a distinguished road
AWSOME! I hope to loose as much too! I'm at 230lbs now. My ideas weight should be around 270! I think I've lost 5lbs from one week on Adderall. A very nice "side effect"! I just hope I don't have a heart attack before I loose the weight!

Here is another very VERY good link about lowering your blood pressure.
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herb...pertension.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-05, 07:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

crime_scene has disabled reputation
Another way to assist in this is to reduce salt intake. Of the 3 I'm not sure which has the biggest effect, maybe weight loss, but it IS a contributor.

Suspect this if you tend to salt your food extravagantly to make it taste normal, or if you frequently eat highly salted foods.

only dead fish go with the flow...

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Old 09-21-05, 09:40 PM

mmcclure79 is on a distinguished road
oh dear, I'n on the road for a heart attack!

I'm starting Ritalin because Strattera made me WAY too irritable and angery.

Only problem, I have:
Neurally Mediated Syncopy, treated by increased salt intake
Exercise induced Asthma, this speaks for itself
I'm 5'9" 165 lbs. not much weight to loose there.

Probably why the Doc wants me to keep tabs on my BP...
Old 09-21-05, 09:42 PM

now that is interesting..taking salt as therapy. wow!

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Old 09-21-05, 09:50 PM

yeah, My cardiovascular system doesn't regualte itself properly. Luckily for me it's very mild. The salt keeps me hydrated and the fluid levels in my blood vessels up. It was explained to my like this (I'm changing it slightly make better sense):

Imagine your cardio system has a control center with all the knobs and wheels, display and buttons. Now imagine only one guy in there and he has ADD. Sometimes things go wrong he's right on top of it, some days he's having a badd ADD day. :P

The salt helps the little guy out. Any change in the enviroment within my cardio system could cause me to pass out and I can only stand back and watch it all happen.
Old 09-21-05, 09:52 PM

scuro has disabled reputation
A natural way to lower blood pressure? "Son...it's time that you lived on your own". lol
Old 09-22-05, 06:02 PM

thanks mcclure that's really interesting, I hope you drink lots of water too, unless that makes your cvs go the other way.

Old 09-22-05, 07:33 PM

yes Scurro, the day the children leave their parents house is the day they both get lower blood pressure.

Crime_Scene, thanks. I have to drink lots and lots of water, side effect of a high salt diet. Which sucks because I hate salty food. As far as my NMS I'm lucky worse cases get a pace maker. Can you imagine being 26 with a pace maker?! oh how that would suck. My sister would have even more old jokes for me. :P
Old 12-10-12, 11:55 PM

HipsterShaman is on a distinguished road
Re: How to lower your blood pressure naturally

This is my first post here, so I might as well give a brief introduction about myself. I'm a 27-year-old, gay-identified PhD student in a psychology program who was diagnosed with ADHD while in graduate school. I am not yet a psychologist, and even when I am one, I need to put out the disclaimer that in no way am I providing advice as a psychologist on this forum. I simply want to give some context for my responses, and a better sense of my credibility as a newbie on this forum.

In response to the question about blood pressure, this has been an issue I have faced while taking Vyvanse. This is a concern since hypertension and heart problems run in my family (along with ADHD). I have been taking 100 mg of CoEnzyme Q-10 (CoQ10) daily for several months now after doing some research on supplements.

There is a recent systematic review in a medical journal (cited below) of studies of CoQ10, fish oil and other supplements to lower blood pressure. Results from four studies of CoQ10 showed a significant reduction of systolic (average loss ranged from 12 mm Hg to nearly 18 mm Hg), and diastolic (range was 2.6 mm Hg to 10 mm Hg) blood pressure.

I brought this up to my psychiatrist who was okay with my taking CoQ10 with Vyvanse. It's probably a good idea to clear this with your clinician prior to taking CoQ10.

I was checking my blood pressure regularly prior to taking CoQ10 and was in the prehypertension range. After taking CoQ10 for four weeks (blood pressure reduction effects take several weeks), I was surprised that my blood pressure was consistently in the normal range. I continue to take CoQ10 and attribute this to overall better bp readings. Even this week during finals I was astounded at my 102/78 mm Hg reading!

Source: Rasmussen, C. B., Glisson, J. K., & Minor, D. S. (2012). Dietary supplements and hypertension: potential benefits and precautions. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension.