ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-14-11, 10:49 AM

tazzmissionx is on a distinguished road
Thoughts, comments on my situation

When I was first put on Adderall, I started on Adderall IR at 10mg twice a day. I was not noticing anything at all, changes or side effects. After a month, my prescription was upped to 20mg twice a day. I would take the first dose in the morning when I wake up (usually between 6:30-7:00) and take the second dosage between 11:30-12:00.

When the first dose kicks in, the effect is mild and not really noticeable. When the second dose kicks in, the effect was pretty strong. My mind would be out of it for the first hour, along with excessive sweating and a significant increase in pulse. My sleeping was affected very little, I would go to sleep a little after midnight.

After 2 1/2 weeks, the kick in effects leveled off, but my sleeping problem became worse, I feel like I would have to force my self to go to sleep and even then would not fall asleep until 2 in the morning. I started to become 'warn out' by 4:00 and just did not want to do anything at all.

After 3 days of this continuing, I went to my doctor and told him everything and he switched me to XR at 20mg, one dose a day. I guess I was kind of hoping that I would have been put on something that was not a stimulant, but I guess I will see how I do with XR as I am going to be on it for 10 days before my doctor evaluates again. My doctor told me that if the XR did not seem to change things that he more than likely would switch me to Ritalin.

What do the people in this forum think about this whole situation?
Old 09-14-11, 08:36 PM
Jr Member

STL Inattentive is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts, comments on my situation

I would have tried like 10mg in the morning and then 5mg around noon. This might have helped with the strong effect you were having mid-day and helped you fall asleep sooner. It might not have made a difference though because 10mg at noon should not have kept you awake at night. Maybe the side effects of the withdrawal kept you up during the night?

I never had the sleeping issue with the Adderall, mostly because I'm a 4am night owl regardless of meds, but I did have withdrawal side effects at the end of the day. If I wasn't a natural at staying up all night, they might have kept me up. Since taking Dexedrine, I actually get tired at the end of the day though.

I don't think the doctor should have any objections to putting you on a non-stimulant med. I'm kind of surprised he didn't move to something else besides Adderall right away.
Old 09-14-11, 10:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

I get this too. My second dose is always far stronger than my first or third.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-11, 11:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

Xande86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
I get this too. My second dose is always far stronger than my first or third.
Yup, I've seen some other members say the same thing as well. Not sure why that is, but I've never been a morning person. Plus I think my first dose might still be in my system when I take my second dose (slow metabolism?).

Lol well just reread what you wrote, my second dose and third doses are stronger than my first. I don't particularly think my second is stronger than my third though.