ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 06-05-11, 08:20 PM

whoracle is on a distinguished road
extreme random and paradoxial exp.

Cant make this anything but short...

I need someone to comment on my reactions on methylphenidate.
I do not have a clear diagnosis/multiple diag. and I have a few years of utter chaos right behind me.

First off it works but its very random and short acting. I cant believe ppl are taking as little as 2 doses per day. I take 6 now and thats spread too thin probably. 80mg a day.
I get extreme rebounds and they differ, some knock me out others keep me awake and restless.
Effects from dosing varies greatly also. And they only last 2-3 hours. I can get calm, sedated, sleepy, focused and rarely motivated and energized.
I need a dose before bedtime for example.
Now I'm unfocused and cant elaborate more though I got tons of very relevant info.

Ill try to update tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whoracle For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-06-11), APSJ (06-05-11)
Old 06-05-11, 08:31 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: extreme random and paradoxial exp.

I need to take it every two hours or it starts to wear off, and if that happens, the next dose won't be as effective, and I'll feel 'off' for the rest of the day.

I have unpredictable 'crashes' too, and after more than fifteen years taking ritalin, still don't always know the source. What I have discovered is that not eating, which I'm prone to since it kills my appetite, definitely increases the chances, as does not drinking enough fluids, during the day. When possible, I also take a lower dose for my last of the day, so it doesn't wear off as abruptly.
The Following User Says Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-06-11)
Old 06-06-11, 08:25 AM

whoracle is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. You confirm what I experience and what I've noticed with fluids, food and the last dose.

May I ask what diagnosis/co-existing disorders etc you have? And if you've tried the other stimulants (plus any other medications) and how you reacted to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to whoracle For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-06-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-11, 09:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,477 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Ask your doctor for XR (extended release)
Old 06-06-11, 10:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

How did you end up with ritilin without a dx? What is the doc treating you for?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-06-11, 09:00 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoracle View Post
Thanks for the response. You confirm what I experience and what I've noticed with fluids, food and the last dose.

May I ask what diagnosis/co-existing disorders etc you have? And if you've tried the other stimulants (plus any other medications) and how you reacted to them.
I have a visual memory impairment (or non-verbal learning disorder..not an exact match, but close enough), general and social anxiety, and depression (probably would be called dysthymia at this point..was major long ago).

I take clonazepam and mirtazapine for anxiety and depression, in addition to methylphenidate for ADHD.

I've tried all the pill forms of methylphenidate(concerta, ritalin sr, and metadate) that I'm aware of...the long lasting ones didn't work for me, so I went back to methylphenidate, where I started.
Old 06-06-11, 09:10 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

What a cool user name.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-06-11, 09:10 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Not you APSJ, the OP

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook