ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-10, 05:47 PM
Jr Member

haikuist is on a distinguished road
Howard from suburban Philly

I'm Howard and I was diagnosed with ADHD last year, at the age of 37.

Being told I had ADHD was a bit of a let down. I grew up thinking ADHD was an imaginary condition, and my problems had to be more complicated than that. I had struggled with everything from learning to read and write to maintaining healthy relationships (professional and personal). But at least my trouble learning to string words together helped me develop a love for writing. As a teen I unwittingly turned writing into a therapeutic resource, even though I wouldn't seek the help I needed for another 20 years.

When I did get myself to a clinical psychologist, I lucked out by randomly choosing one who happened to specialize in learning and developmental issues. In the course of therapy I've found that many of my problems were aggravated, if not caused, by ADHD. While being diagnosed didn't fix everything, it was a huge first step toward finally figuring out a better life.

Better late than never, I guess.

I have a long way to go, and the people here have already been a great resource to me. The information is great. Even better is the ability to share the experience and moral support with other folks going through many of the same things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haikuist For This Useful Post:
Amtram (09-17-10), meridian (09-16-10)
Old 09-16-10, 11:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Howard from suburban Philly

Hi haikuist and welcome to the ADDF.

There is a Creative Writing section here and of course one of the great things about haiku is that I can read a whole book of haiku in one sitting even with AD/HD!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
haikuist (09-17-10)
Old 09-17-10, 03:46 AM
Jr Member

haikuist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
...one of the great things about haiku is that I can read a whole book of haiku in one sitting even with AD/HD!
exactly why I got into it -- great therapy for my more impatient moments
The Following User Says Thank You to haikuist For This Useful Post:
meridian (09-21-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-10, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! It's not surprising that so many people who don't believe in ADD find out they have it. . .but it's a lot easier to learn to live with it if you believe in it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
haikuist (09-17-10), meridian (09-21-10)