ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

View Poll Results: How Long have you taken Adderall, and how has it effected your creativity?
Iv taken for under 3 months and its helped creativity 1 6.25%
Iv taken for under 3 months and it hasnt affected creativity 4 25.00%
Iv taken for under 3 months and its stifled creativity 1 6.25%
Iv taken for 3+ months and its helped creativity 5 31.25%
Iv taken for 3+ months and it hasnt affected creativity 3 18.75%
Iv taken for 3+ months and its stifled creativity 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-10, 08:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

jonny87 has a spectacular aura aboutjonny87 has a spectacular aura about
How Long have you taken Adderall, and how has it effected your creativity?

Iv just started Ritalin for ADD (inattentive type) and am wondering about how all the different meds affect peoples creativity. So Im putting a poll in each of the forums of the main ADD/ADHD meds

So the poll question is:

How Long have you taken Adderall, and how has it effected your creativity?

Thanks
Jonny
Old 05-09-10, 03:08 PM

dlester is on a distinguished road
Re: How Long have you taken Adderall, and how has it effected your creativity?

I'm a video editor and completely understand you concern. My job is very demanding and requires me to be at the top of my game everyday and to be creative even when I don't feel like it. I took Ritalin for 9 months or so and had good experience. The feeling of wanting to get up and go walk around when I needed to sit and continue working went away. I was able block out the distractions and focus more. The worst feeling in the world to me is looking at a blank screen and falling into the circle of what am I gonna do, where do I start, I don't have any ideas, then I get nervous, then I get a flash of anxiety, and my mind goes blank. With medication that happens A LOT less. After a while the Ritalin started to make me feel zoned out at times. I didn't want to get up and move around nor did I want to sit and be creative, which is what I live for. I currently switched to Adderall and it seems to have the same benefits without the zoned out spacey feeling.

Good luck with your treatment.
Old 05-11-10, 08:22 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

innocent question

are you doing a research on how different stimulants affect creativity?

cause you ask the same question and have the same poll at the other medications forums?

my answer, adhd meds gave eliminated distractions for me to reach my potential and creativity. i went from failing (chemistry science) to finishing Bachelor and masters in 3 years and now doing phd in biochemistry engineering which is much harder.

adhd meds didnt do it for me. but made me normal so i can reach my potential. extreme example. Ferrari are fast. but you are not going anywhere if you have no gas in the tank. adhd meds are that gas. adhd meds wont turn you into a Ferrari if you are a corolla
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-10, 10:49 PM
Jr Member

therepetition is on a distinguished road

it's weird, a lot of my musical creativity i guess you can say comes from my spazzyness as a person. while i'm medicated, it's a lot easier for me to actually FINISH songs and write music with STRUCTURE as compared to never getting anything finished and being all over the place with ideas. i do, however, believe that i get more ideas flowing through my head while i'm unmedicated. i really wish i could have it both ways but at least i'm finishing songs that i probably would have never finished before. :}
Old 05-12-10, 01:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

jonny87 has a spectacular aura aboutjonny87 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies,

therepetition: i guess what I am wondering is if there are less ideas flowing through your head, is the overall effect on creativity a positive one simply because you now get more songs actually written, even tho the musical ideas arent perhaps quite as interesting or "out of the box"?

Thanks
Jonny
Old 07-18-10, 01:38 AM

udjat is on a distinguished road

I'm also in the art industry and I haven't noticed any decrease in creativity! Before it was alot harder to just sit down and focus but now it's easier to finish with adderall.
Old 07-18-10, 09:27 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough

I feel compelled to elaborate on my answer in the poll...

I said that I've been taking Adderall for under 3 months, and it HAS helped my creativity. But I'd like to specify how it's helped...

First of all, I'm a writer and a performance artist. I'm also hoping to go into academia, but had a lot of trouble doing sustained activities like reading and writing (reading more than writing...for writing, it was mainly anxiety that impeded me). But I like to read, because it adds things to the ocean of material from which I draw from, and I work in a very conceptual manner...So Adderall has helped me in my creativity in by helping me read, which is part of my creative process.

However, for all other ponderings, imaginings, alternate realities that crop up in my mind, Adderall does not help nor negate it. I still have the same quirky imagination.

What Adderall has helped me is to see bits of my project through to completion. That is huge. I used to be very good at starting, but not finishing things. I was a brainstormer and a schemer, and if my thoughts made it onto the page, they were in disorganized fragments. I'm still a little disorganized, but part of that is just my creative personality...However, I can work at things a little longer and therefore string things together, rather than leave a bunch of fragments unfinished, forgetting about them the next day...
Old 07-19-10, 03:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Been taking it for 3+ years. The only thing I do miss is that I can no longer wander off into daydreams like I used to be able to. That ability has been squashed by Adderall and any other stimulant I take.