ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Psychotics
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-17, 08:02 AM

Exuberantfrost is on a distinguished road
Antipsychotics worsening the ADHD symptoms?

I've been taking Seroquel (quetiapine) for quiet some time but have experience my learning disabilites, my ability to read and focus being worsened by the sedative effect of the medicine. Has anyone of you ever tried that? It's not that it's one sided because it does ease the brain to perhaps focus a bit less on negative stuff but at the same time it worsen my ability to stay focused on important stuff like homework and studies in class.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exuberantfrost For This Useful Post:
DarkMaGiicS (08-25-18), peripatetic (09-15-17)
Old 09-15-17, 09:18 AM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antipsychotics worsening the ADHD symptoms?

I take antipsychotics and, yes, they generally make my ADHD symptoms worse. I have to be stable on them before I can take stimulants though.

Seroquel is an odd medication in that up to 200/300 it is sedating for me but then after that it wasn't. Are you taking it for sleep or other? It was good for me until I mexed out around 800 then discontinued blah blah blah. I didn't take it *for* ADHD though and don't know anyone who has.
Old 09-15-17, 11:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exuberantfrost View Post
I've been taking Seroquel (quetiapine) for quiet some time but have experience my learning disabilites, my ability to read and focus being worsened by the sedative effect of the medicine. Has anyone of you ever tried that? It's not that it's one sided because it does ease the brain to perhaps focus a bit less on negative stuff but at the same time it worsen my ability to stay focused on important stuff like homework and studies in class.
I cant imagine why you would be taking seroquel and nothing for your adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-18, 02:06 PM

DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'v found risperidone to make focus and impulsive worse when it use to take it in the morning, My doctor ended up giving me a 10mg ritalin booster to boost strattera when i was on it, but i believe it does make symptoms worse, Are you on any medication for your ADHD?
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkMaGiicS For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-25-18)
Old 09-05-19, 09:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

kimical has a spectacular aura aboutkimical has a spectacular aura about

I can't take seroquel for the weight gain and sedation, I take abilify for the "uplifting" antipsychotic effect and I take wellbutrin and strattera. They get me going. Not to say this mix is for you, it just works for me.

Rx: abilify, lamictal
Old 09-05-19, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,183 Times in 2,917 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It is a difficult drug, especially in ADHD: In addition to the sleepiness (which can be severe, and worsen brain fog, it ie- also an antagonist of most kinds of dopamine receptors- so it acts in the opposite manner to the stimulants.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.