ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 11-09-17, 07:47 PM
Jr Member

bothandneither is on a distinguished road
Complicated Situation

I was arrested two years ago for distribution of MDMA. First offense, DF4.

Maybe a year before that I started taking vyvanse and had moved to (smoking) meth by the time of sentencing. I got 2 years probation. My tests came back hot and I said it was vyvanse and they let it go.

I was unable to keep the truth hidden (it was stupid of me I know, but who was gonna believe meth was helping my mental state dramatically?)

My probation was extended 6 months and I am totally clean now and will be terminated in February.

I don't mind waiting till then to try and get a prescription for Desoxyn but I'd rather not waste 4 months lying in bed watching netflix. I am and was severely depressed and meth helped. It had nothing to do with my arrest but it has been impossible getting anyone to believe me.

Any advice would be helpful. I'm pretty sure I should just wait till February which is ok with me.

Will I have a problem getting a prescription for Desoxyn? I'd rather have it legal and regulated than not. Will I show up on some sort of database? (once I finish probation the charge will drop to a misdemeanor)

I can't tell if the people posting here are going to see psychiatrists or GP's. Which ones are more understanding?

I can't help that methamphetamine pulls me out of my depression enough to actually be productive, and I know i've been a complete idiot in many ways, but it makes me even sadder than I can't get this substance that dramatically increases my quality of life. I doubt I'll be on it forever, I just need help to get through this rut.
Old 11-09-17, 09:04 PM
Jr Member

Re: Complicated Situation

*I was unable to keep the truth hidden (it was stupid of me I know, but who was gonna believe meth was helping my mental state dramatically? also I had no idea desoxyn existed at the time)

I'm willing to try anything else as well. I know both vyvanse and meth work but it doesnt have to be either of those. I'm already on 30mg Paxil and 300 mg Wellbutrin
Old 11-09-17, 11:36 PM

Minkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura aboutMinkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura about

You probably wonít get prescribed a stimulant again if the psychiatrist knows you have been addicted to meth. Pharmacy's might not fill them if itís somehow linked within the system. I think youíre taking a big risk trying to go back on stimulants immediately. Addictions arenít just cured all the sudden. Obviously the stimulants you had been on werenít enough - they wonít be enough again if you use and thus the cycle repeats itself -an relapse. I donít know, perhaps if you were monitored by blood/urine levels periodicly/randomly to see if you had been abusing is something u could bargain. Good luck ✌🏻
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-17, 12:03 AM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know the likelihood of being prescribed stimulants in your situation as i've not been in that.... BUT, we have had members here who've had addiction problems, including meth and cocaine, but who were/are effectively treated with stimulants. their psychiatrists saw their addiction as self medicating.

that said, desoxyn is usually a step after you've exhausted several other medications and i highly doubt a psychiatrist would give it to you straight away.

i have no idea if there are databases, but i do think that if you want effective treatment you should 1. see a psychiatrist, not a general practitioner and 2. be honest about your history. others may well tell you not to divulge the information you've shared here, but seeing a psychiatrist is usually more of a conversation than a monologue and i would answer questions as honestly as possible if you really want help. but realise that help might not come in the form you think is the "right" form; i.e. maybe the psychiatrist will try something other than a stimulant...have you been diagnosed with adhd? it sounds like you've been diagnosed with depression. is there a reason to think you have adhd or do you just think that stimulants are what's needed to help your depression symptoms?

anyway, hope that helps. x
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-17)
Old 11-10-17, 03:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i don't know the likelihood of being prescribed stimulants in your situation as i've not been in that.... BUT, we have had members here who've had addiction problems, including meth and cocaine, but who were/are effectively treated with stimulants. their psychiatrists saw their addiction as self medicating.
True. I've also known people who have the label of "drug abuser" permanently added to their medical record for all their future providers to see. I'd not a medical or legal expert, so I really don't have any advice to give here. Just sharing my personal observations.

Quote:
that said, desoxyn is usually a step after you've exhausted several other medications and i highly doubt a psychiatrist would give it to you straight away.
Also true!

Quote:
have you been diagnosed with adhd? it sounds like you've been diagnosed with depression. is there a reason to think you have adhd or do you just think that stimulants are what's needed to help your depression symptoms?
This is the most important point. The medications are NOT designed to get you high. They MIGHT get you high initially, but to sustain it you'd need to rapidly escalate the dose beyond standard medical ranges, and take them in non-conventional routes. It's not worth it. If you have ADHD, please get help for it, which might very well require stimulants, perhaps even Desoxyn. If you don't have ADHD, then your question is not appropriate for this forum. ADHD people already have enough stigma to deal with.

Unless you are currently going through life-threatening withdrawal symptoms from methamphetamine, there is pretty much no doctor (besides a pill mill doctor) that will prescribe methamphetamine simply for the purposes of pleasing you. You need to have a medical reason.

It's FDA approved for ADHD, narcolepsy, and obesity. As I understand it, stimulants are sometimes prescribed off-label for treatment-resistant depression, but it's generally frowned upon now in the medical community. And even when it is prescribed off-label for treatment-resistant depression, it's generally for short-term use only (giving a quick burst of energy to jolt someone out of a bad cycle).

I hope this information helps. Please do follow through with a medical/mental health professional - it seems like you want to get better, which is a good sign! In terms of GP vs psychiatrist, the psychiatrist is certainly more likely to have more experience with people like you, but every individual doctor is different. Some treat people with your history with contempt, while others will treat you with respect. Who knows who you will find?
Old 11-10-17, 05:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

What are you doing to maintain your sobriety? I dont think going to desoxyn is good for you. You would be injesting the exact thing that got you into trouble. If you do end up needing a stimulant then ritalin or even vyvanse would be a safer bet for you. Do you have adhd? You should be honest with your doctor. I am an alcoholic and I have been on adderall or some amphetamine for almost 13 years.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-10-17, 09:24 PM
Jr Member

I definitely was self medicating. Meth was never fun for me, it just made me feel normal.

I never increased dosage over the three years I was smoking it daily. There was always a threshold I would get to and would never be able to go above that in terms of 'highness'. Vyvanse and meth feel exactly the same to me, I just enjoyed the smoking aspect of meth. From what I've been told by a psychiatrist, this is how anyone with ADHD reacts to amphetamines. I made me feel like myself.

The psychiatrists and psychologists I have been to all have made me feel like **** for believing I need amphetamines of some sort to feel normal. It makes me really sad and alone. I dunno how to find a doctor who understands and doesn't judge me for who I am. I'm willing to try anything to help me get out of bed because right now it's all I can do.

I can maintain sobriety easily. I don't have to have it. But I want it so I can feel like Myself and live a normal life.

Thank you for actually reading and responding to what I've said.
Old 11-10-17, 11:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothandneither View Post
I definitely was self medicating. Meth was never fun for me, it just made me feel normal.

I never increased dosage over the three years I was smoking it daily. There was always a threshold I would get to and would never be able to go above that in terms of 'highness'. Vyvanse and meth feel exactly the same to me, I just enjoyed the smoking aspect of meth. From what I've been told by a psychiatrist, this is how anyone with ADHD reacts to amphetamines. I made me feel like myself.

The psychiatrists and psychologists I have been to all have made me feel like **** for believing I need amphetamines of some sort to feel normal. It makes me really sad and alone. I dunno how to find a doctor who understands and doesn't judge me for who I am. I'm willing to try anything to help me get out of bed because right now it's all I can do.

I can maintain sobriety easily. I don't have to have it. But I want it so I can feel like Myself and live a normal life.

Thank you for actually reading and responding to what I've said.
My friend, you are making life so complicated for yourself! Everyone here is giving you similar advice for how to begin your first appointment. Here's how it might start.

You: Hey doc, I think I have ADHD, but I've never been diagnosed. These are my current problems [elaborate], and I've had ADHD symptoms ever since I was a child [elaborate]. I think that if I can get my ADHD treated, it can really help my life. [if you are planning to disclose your history of substance abuse, this would be a logical time to do so] What are your thoughts?

Doc: Okay, let me ask you some questions in order to get a better understanding of you and your symptoms...

Can you see how this approach is different from starting the appointment by asking for Desoxyn in order to feel good?

You say that psychiatrists have always been dismissive of your requests for amphetamines. But then you also say that a previous psychiatrist validated the feeling of normalcy you got from amphetamines as a sign that you have ADHD. I'm confused.

If you need a therapist, then get a good therapist! Unfortunately, you cannot expect a psychiatrist to act as a therapist. A psychiatrist is the one who is responsible for prescribing medications, and their medical license is on the line, so don't expect the psychiatrist to be in a good mood if you tell them you have substance abuse history and want stimulants. Psychiatrists are also crazy expensive for insurance companies, so psychiatrists are often rushed for time, and don't have time to be extra sensitive to you. That's just the reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-12-17)
Old 11-10-17, 11:37 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post

Can you see how this approach is different from starting the appointment by asking for Desoxyn in order to feel good?

You say that psychiatrists have always been dismissive of your requests for amphetamines. But then you also say that a previous psychiatrist validated the feeling of normalcy you got from amphetamines as a sign that you have ADHD. I'm confused.
Oh of course I wouldnt start by asking for desoxyn. I don't mind starting with modafinil or methylphenidate and see if those work but i can't even get that. I think i may have over explained in the past by going into my entire life. To me its logical but others tend to misinterpret my point.

Yes there was one psychiatrist I saw towards the beginning of my probation that prescribed me vyvanse but I was actually on meth at the time. I felt bad about lying to him and told him the truth and then he said he had to stop prescribing the vyvanse which made sense. I thought he would help me with the meth somehow but I didnt think the situation through.

I do over complicate things. thanks for your advice. I will do exactly that and keep it simple and go try some physicians instead of psychiatrists because I have only been seeing psychiatrists cause I figured they would be more helpful overall somehow.
The Following User Says Thank You to bothandneither For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (11-11-17)
Old 11-11-17, 12:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Yes there was one psychiatrist I saw towards the beginning of my probation that prescribed me vyvanse but I was actually on meth at the time. I felt bad about lying to him and told him the truth and then he said he had to stop prescribing the vyvanse which made sense. I thought he would help me with the meth somehow but I didnt think the situation through.
Wait, so can't you just go back to that psychiatrist and say that you're now clean [perhaps offer to submit to random drug tests], and that you'd appreciate having a second chance to take Vyvanse for ADHD? Did that psychiatrist diagnose you with ADHD?
Old 11-11-17, 12:51 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Wait, so can't you just go back to that psychiatrist and say that you're now clean [perhaps offer to submit to random drug tests], and that you'd appreciate having a second chance to take Vyvanse for ADHD? Did that psychiatrist diagnose you with ADHD?
I have not thought about trying that. Yes he did. I do submit to random drug tests now because of probation, but it doesn't differentiate between meth and amphetamines. One at the drug testing place must though. I'll send him an email and see what he says. Great idea thank you so much.
Old 11-11-17, 01:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
I have not thought about trying that. Yes he did. I do submit to random drug tests now because of probation, but it doesn't differentiate between meth and amphetamines. One at the drug testing place must though. I'll send him an email and see what he says. Great idea thank you so much.
Yeah, I'm no chemist, but there are definitely ways to distinguish between different stimulants (meth, Adderall, Vyvanse, etc), but those tests are probably somewhat more expensive. If your doctor decides that Vyvanse is medically necessary for treating your ADHD, then I'd imagine that your probation team would have the responsibility of administering proper forms of the drug test to distinguish.

Also, do you have any people in your life who can serve as an advocate for you (parents, partner, friends, pastor, etc)? Maybe you could offer to have the advocate store the Vyvanse for you and watch you as you take your Vyvanse each morning.

Also, at the very least, you already have ADHD officially diagnosed on your medical record, and you can transfer that to future doctors. Granted, the future doctor would probably also see your history of substance issues, but my guess is that as long as you can show that you're serious about staying clean, you should be fine.

Do you have the ability to access a psychotherapist? You seem to have a lot of emotional baggage (no judgment, most of us do as well!). They can also help you figure out how to best approach your psychiatrist. Make sure to get one who actually believes in adult ADHD, though. Also, see if there are any local CHADD chapters in your area.
Old 11-12-17, 07:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

People always assume because amphetamines have part of what meth is chemically or their isomers in them that they are the same and feel the same. I guarantee you will not feel the same high from vyvanse as you would from meth. You might think you focus the same way but when under the influence of actual meth you are a poor self evaluator and cant possibly see how the two could be different. Plus meth is made with dirty chemicals and in someone's house, not a lab with medical and safety standards so no two doses of street meth will ever be the same.
Quote:

Sobriety isnt about not having to have a drug, its about not wanting it as well. Even though you say you have adhd and all,you are seeking the pharmocological equivalent of what you took on the streets. Thats drug seeking and thats trying to justify or at least excuse the use of meth.

I have no doubt that people with adhd self medicate-I did and I became an alcoholic who is sober now. But you cant use your drug use as a ruler to gauge what a med's effectiveness will be or what drug you would need.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 06:52 PM
Jr Member

@sarahsweets

I dont wanna be mean or start an argument so.......assumptions make an *** out of........the end.
Old 11-12-17, 07:03 PM
Jr Member

@CharlesH

Yup I live with my parents right now trying to get my life together so they will be able to keep an eye on me. Ill definitely bring that up.

I do have tons of emotional baggage, but I know why and have talked about it to death. What I need more than anything right now is energy, clarity and focus so I can be productive as my lack of career weighs on me more than anything.

Thanks again for the oodles of good advice.