ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-13, 02:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

They are helping me, too, Footsore, even though I take such a small dose. And my BP is under control with medication, so my doctor and I decided to keep trying for another three months to get me on a regular exercise program, because it's a little difficult to do that where I live in the winter, given my exercise-induced asthma (unless I joined a gym, and I tried that; but even then, I didn't go enough because I much prefer working out outdoors). I believe that once that happens, I'll be able to maintain myself without medication for ADHD.

I guess that then I'll be an ADHS (syndrome?), no "D."

I tried medications without this program in the past, and it didn't seem to work for me, not with respect to THIS issue, anyway. It helped, but it wasn't a "cure."

But I think that that's just because my issue with this was ENTRENCHED. I really could not see how to work any other way. I had to "see" the work product before I could write, and I wouldn't "see" it until I began reading things relevant to it, but I was never starting that part until shortly before it was due because I was always flying from one cramming project to the next. Now I'm starting much earlier and making use of a lot of down time to process things.

Frankly, I think that this has made me a better lawyer.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 03-25-13, 03:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

Footsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Yeah, meds aren't a cure-all, that's for sure. But they do help you see which of your issues are caused by habits, and that is helpful too!

For instance, I can see that while I do have the tendency to procrastinate, it isn't as pervasive as I thought. It comes up with Really Big Things (like the thesis) even with meds. So the relationship it has with anxiety is much clearer than before, since I'm not in the middle of this procrastination-anxiety feedback loop, and I can trust that techniques to reduce my anxiety will help with the procrastination, rather than thinking that I need that anxiety to get anything done. And that's HUGE, really. And the book is one good guide to breaking that feedback loop. In fact, I'm not sure I would have had that insight w/o reading it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Footsore Ramble For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-25-13), ToneTone (03-27-13)
Old 03-25-13, 04:27 PM

Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Yeah, I hear you, Footsore. We're probably not that much different; it's just that I have to "publish" every couple weeks or so. LOL!

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-13, 05:52 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I think I really need this book do o the nature of my work. Its very time sensitive, literally!!!

However, I already have a book to read and I 've sworn to myself not to start two books at once.:-(

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-25-13, 06:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Footsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the roughFootsore Ramble is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
Yeah, I hear you, Footsore. We're probably not that much different; it's just that I have to "publish" every couple weeks or so. LOL!
Yeah, and I only have to 'publish' once a quarter.

Here are some of the lovely things that have happened to me over the last few months because I let go of procrastination and prioritized guilt-free play:

I'm reading some incredible books. I'm in the middle of 'Consilience' by E. O. Wilson, and because I am reading it guilt-free, I talk about it with people in my work environment.

I collaborated on a great art project, and I got to enjoy the social aspects, not just the mechanics of it. I didn't let any (well, much) guilt about the project itself or other things drive me away from unstructured discussions about it.

I'm practicing music on a regular basis. I take time every evening to do this. I'm making progress.

I've been lifting weights at the gym. I'm getting stronger, have more energy, and I am starting to look better. And it evens my keel, so to speak. I'm less vulnerable to low-grade anxiety because of the exercise I'm getting.

I'm getting back into riding my bike to work, which is something that I have loved and missed, but I find it hard to do when I feel like I have to stay at work for a really long time.

All in all, I'm somewhat more productive at work, but the real difference is that I've been more effective -- taking less time to get the same amount of work done. And that hasn't turned me into a miracle worker. I'm using the time I've freed to make me a better person overall, to be who I want to be in ways that aren't defined by my job. And I think that helps reduce the anxiety for work-related things, because if it isn't going that well, I've got other measured of my worth and performance to turn to.

Take the time to play in really nourishing ways. I used to try to make up for procrastinating by doing things like going in to work over the weekends. I'd do that, so I couldn't go hiking or read a real book or anything that was 'proper' leisure, but I couldn't be %100 at work either since it was a weekend, so I'd end up nibbling away at my work while spending most of my time surfing the web. The web surfing turned into my main leisure activity, but it isn't what I wanted deep down in my heart to do. So it didn't give me the renewal that true leisure does. And I also didn't get much work done.

One of my new rules is NO office time during weekends. If I'm behind by Friday, I'll need to bust my butt on Monday, but I will be relaxing over the weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Footsore Ramble For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-25-13)
Old 03-25-13, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up Re: The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination, by Dr. Neil F

Wow.

So, ok, Anonymous has been all over me accusing me (teasingly) of deriving some sort of profit from my proselytizing over this book. But I did not lie, Footsore, did I???!!!!

(And no, I have no relationship to this book or its author, other than that a few years ago, I paid --- full price! --- for a few of his phone counseling sessions.)

Footsore, you are an inspiration. You're kickin' my ***, now, because I've overcome the procrastination, but I am NOT engaging in truly guilt-free play much. I think that this has something to do with being self-employed, so I'm always concerned about money.

What I am doing is transitioning back and forth between "easy" administrative tasks (which must be done) and the REAL WORK, i.e., the stuff that I get paid to do.

I am also considerably more productive at work. And more innovative. As I said above, I am a better lawyer. I'm more creative, and I can plan out my litigation strategy using (what does he call it?) four-dimensional thinking (or maybe it's three-dimensional? LOL... Maybe that's my astrophysics training peeking through, there...).

Good for you, Footsore. What an incredible accomplishment!!! You go, girl (boy? I forget!)!!! LOL!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-26-13)
Old 03-25-13, 08:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Girl.

And it sounds to me like you are actually doing much better than me in overcoming procrastination habits on a daily level. But yeah, the unstructured play is important! Worrying about money doesn't help, though, does it?

My best suggestion on that front is what I said already -- figure out what you really want to do as play on a deep level, and make a little time for that. For me that means choosing things to do where I am active (art, music, reading with discussion of ideas as part of it) instead of stuff where I'm passive (teh intarwebs, watching TV, reading shallowly). All those things are on my calendar, and they are beemindered so I don't either forget or shove them off for 'fake useful' stuff, like trying to work on weekends.
Old 03-26-13, 08:31 AM

Yeah, I have exercise on my calendar, but somehow often end up failing to do it because I feel pressure to get more work done.

This has been a perennial problem for me. All the sports that I did as a kid were felt more as obligation (often to the team) than as a "I want to do this." The only thing that I consistently did solely because I enjoyed it was be with my horse. But even then, I came to feel obligated...

I'm just not good at it, but I'll keep trying. Thanks for the tips!