ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-19, 10:42 AM

ADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to behold
Reply to Visitor Messages/Post Visitor Message on Another User's Profile

Hello! I'd like to reply to a visitor message that was posted on my profile, but it seems like the options that should be there aren't. Can anyone help me figure this out?

I found the posts about how to reply and it says just click "view conversation" then "reply", but there is no "reply" button anywhere to be found - I could be missing it, but I've looked a few times now, so I don't think so.

Also, I went to the profile of the user who posted the visitor message thinking I could just post a visitor message on their profile saying thanks, but I can't find any option to post a visitor message on their profile. Again, I went to the FAQ and looked for info that I might have been missing, but it again seems like something is isn't there that should be there. I can see where I would post a visitor message on my own profile, but the same box isn't there when I go to another profile.

Lastly, when I select the visitor message on my profile, and use the drop down to select "approve message", even though I do click the box to select the message... it says I haven't selected any messages.

I'm feeling crazy at this point thinking there are a bunch of things I am missing. Please help, I just want to thank someone for welcoming me LOL!

Thanks!
midnightstar (03-26-19), namazu (03-26-19)
Old 03-26-19, 03:30 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,417 Times in 10,803 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reply to Visitor Messages/Post Visitor Message on Another User's Profile

Hi ADHD_Trekkie,

It's almost certainly not you! -- the forum software is old and clunky*, and most members develop a kind of love-hate relationship with it.

I see one VM showing up on your profile at the moment -- you shouldn't need to do anything to approve it.

There isn't a "reply" button for VMs -- I don't know why -- so you can usually visit the other person's profile and leave a message.

Users have the option to allow (or not) visitor messages, private messages, and e-mails. (This option is in the User Control Panel / User CP.) Some choose not to enable this feature. It may be that the visitor you're trying to reply to has this feature turned off, in which case you can try to send a private message (if they allow that).

If the other member's profile shows that they have recent messages from other members, then maybe something weird is going on.

Usually you would see a box on the other person's profile to type your message, just as you see a box to type visitor messages on your own profile. Similarly, if you click on "view conversation", there should be a box at the top for you to type a message to continue the conversation.

I don't know for sure if new members' ability to send visitor messages is restricted for a time -- just as posts from new members are moderated for a little while to prevent spammer accounts from overwhelming the forum. (I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.)

In any case, thanks for the heads-up! If the problem continues, let us know and I'll ask one of the site admins to look into it.

- Namazu

* This is due to the site owner, David, never getting around to upgrading despite repeated promises to do so, and his being the only one with permissions to do so, despite repeated pleas and offers of assistance (technical and financial) from members and staff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-27-19), aeon (03-26-19), midnightstar (03-26-19)
Old 03-26-19, 04:34 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,799 Times in 14,077 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I think the last time David was seen on the forum was when the dinosaurs were wandering around the earth
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-27-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-19, 03:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I always have to click "view conversation" to reply.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 09:48 PM

ADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to behold

Thank you namazu, midnightstar, and sarahsweets!! I don't feel crazy anymore : )

I tried all the things, so now I'll just wait and see what happens!

Y'all are the best!
namazu (03-28-19)
Old 03-28-19, 07:59 PM

Smile Re: Reply to Visitor Messages/Post Visitor Message on Another User's Profile

UPDATE:

All the visitor messaging options showed up after the newbie moderating period ended!

Thanks for hanging in there with me : )
namazu (03-28-19)
Old 03-28-19, 09:08 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,417 Times in 10,803 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things are working as they should now.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-29-19)