ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-12, 02:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation
Do you want to know what the frustrating thing about ADHD is?

A note to all NTs who do not believe in ADHD or say ADHDers are fat n lazy.......

[Note this is not applicable to all NTs..... There are many amazing supportive NTs out there. Just wanting to inform the ignorant/crass/rude NTs.]

Do you not understand how frustrating ADHD is? Do you HONESTLY believe that we fake being disorganized, late to everything, and in general out of control. I HAVE A BONE TO PICK WITH YA'LL.

To begin, I must addresss the issue of ADHDers using the diagnosis of ADHD as a crutch. Lemme give you a little insight into our lives When we were kids or teens living with all of this chaos and not understanding what is the problem; rather, thinking that we having something wrong with OURSELVES. Society chatizes us and tells us that we are lazy and cannot progress anywhere in life. [Or if we are smart and our grades reflect it, but cannot get organized] We are told that we are lazy and why cannot you be organized and consistant in our behaviour. However, when we recieve the diagnosis, we often wonder why we were never told this before hand. Once the diagnosis is made, we feel relieved and begin the long process of treatment. Simply, ADHD is an EXPLANATION, not an excuse nor a crutch. We work hard to compensate for our shortcomings. We want you to understand that WE TRY and you probably don't come within a fractional margin of understanding how debilitating living with ADHD is. Don't say you understand/feel what it is like to have ADHD. You will probably never know what it is like to struggle with ADHD. Rather, all we ask is that you try your best to understand our predicament and not accuse us of using ADHD as an excuse.

For the naysayers regarding the validity of ADHD.....
"Everyone has these problems" Yes everyone has these symptoms to a degreee. The diagnosis of ADHD is appropiate when those symptoms are disabling or making your life hell. Difference: occacionally vs 24/7. ADHD is a spectrum disorder..... there are different "intensities"[for the lack of a better word] of ADHD. "No ADHD person is exactly a like" Nuff said.
If a kid is not overtly hyperactive/ uncontrollable, it doesn't mean that he or she struggles with ADHD. There are three different subtypes of ADHD you know. In addition, there is plently of scientific research that demonstrates that ADHD is a real disorder. Just look up "ADHD research" online. Promise there is plently of reputable scientists and instutions that are conducting this research.

So lets summarize
-ADHD is NOT an excuse that we use to get out of homework, jobs, commitments, and trouble.
-ADHD people really try and dismissing our efforts will yeild no positive consequences
-ADHD presents itself differently in people

With all due respect......
Have a very nice day and please take this into consideration.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this I’m going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mirandatoritess For This Useful Post:
Down Dawn (08-19-13), Fuzzy12 (11-18-12)
Old 11-18-12, 05:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,055 Times in 12,981 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you want to know what the frustrating thing about ADHD is?

if adhd really was an excuse or a 'get out of jail' card so many of our lives wouldn't be so ****** up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Down Dawn (08-19-13)
Old 11-18-12, 05:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

F**k the nay sayers.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Down Dawn (08-19-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-12, 06:41 AM
Forum Guru

SpaceBaby has a spectacular aura aboutSpaceBaby has a spectacular aura about

Like I always say, wait till them neysayers get injured, then yell at them "PUT MORE EFFORT!! If Nick Vujicic can do it, you can do it too!! " jk
Reminds me of some funny kids in elementary school that would stretch eachothers mouths from the sides and be like "SAY OATMEAL!!" lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpaceBaby For This Useful Post:
Down Dawn (08-19-13), Fuzzy12 (11-18-12)