ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-22-12, 07:10 PM
Jr Member

daft77 is on a distinguished road
Anyone fill barr-teva lately?

Been on aderrall for 5 years. After the first of the year,my first barr script made me feel very weak,and tired. Tried the pink corepharmas,gave me headaches,sandoz made my heart race like crazy.

There were a few posters who mentioned they seemed weaker as of late,i havent filled a barr script since february,any input would be appreciated,hopinh maybe it was a bad batch or something.

thxx
Old 05-22-12, 09:31 PM

kali_shey is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone fill barr-teva lately?

I filled a 15mg IR Barr script last month and CorePharma this month - HATE the CorePharma after the Barr. Unfortunately, I don't have previous experience with any of them as the Barr fill in April was my first time on Adderall, so I'm afraid I'm probably not much help.
Old 05-22-12, 09:58 PM

cesar1985 is on a distinguished road

i filled a script for 30 adderall xr teva and they worked fine no problems
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-12, 11:05 PM
Jr Member

scatteredboy will become famous soon enough

I have been taking barr/teva for a good 5 years now. I've also tried core and sandoz. Sandoz actually effected my attention in a positive way but it gave me no motivation plus it's almost impossible to find at a pharmacy. I decided to stick with Barr even though it does seem inconsistent, it is always available over the the other brands at the pharmacy.

My guess is always keep them in your home in a normal and consistent temperature. I left them in my hot car last summer and it seems as if it made the adderall completely not work. Same thing in the winter. Hopefully this information helps.

Last edited by scatteredboy; 05-22-12 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: grammar mistake
Old 05-22-12, 11:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

ceebee is on a distinguished road

Who cares what brand you get? Adderall 5mg is the same regardless according to the FDA. Ya'll up on some interdose placebo effects.

Disclaimer: I am not a physician. Any post or advice I give should in no way be considered medical advice. Consult a physician (MD or DO) with health/medication questions.
Old 05-23-12, 10:47 AM

AronP24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebee View Post
Who cares what brand you get? Adderall 5mg is the same regardless according to the FDA. Ya'll up on some interdose placebo effects.
False.
Generics have liberty with the formulas and are given a percentage lee-way as to how much active is in it and how much filler is used

i.e. Barr uses Glucose and Saccahrine fillers which are not exactly what ADHD folks need to be throwing in their brains repeatedly (why I will NEVER use Barr ANYTHING EVER again).whereas Sandoz does not use those
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AronP24 For This Useful Post:
kali_shey (05-23-12), kiosk (05-24-12)
Old 05-23-12, 01:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

Dubwise is on a distinguished road

Corpharma uses Lactose as a binder. I am allergic to lactose, these make me sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dubwise For This Useful Post:
kali_shey (05-23-12)
Old 05-23-12, 03:44 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebee View Post
Not true.. I dont have the info in front of me but i believe companies have something like a 20% leway in their formulations? (someone here can correct me).

To my understanding, Placebo affect usually refers to someone taking something and having it be the best thing in the world when it was nothing more than a sugar pill? ( i could be wrong)

Shire is the only company I know that makes all of its own adderall xr. When you get the brand,global,teva etc its all from shire. The IR's are a different story. Those can be made individually by each generic company.

People like to use the "its just a placebo" defense here sometimes but if 80% of the people on this board, and across the world notice a difference in manufacturers of medications that are supposed to be the same then I guess we are all victims of mass hysteria.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
kali_shey (05-23-12), kiosk (05-24-12)
Old 05-24-12, 12:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

You are correct Sarah, the placebo affect is the observable or felt improvement in health or behavior not attributable to a medication or treatment that has been administered. The Latin meaning of PLACEBO is "I shall please" which indicates that it is to refer to a positive experience associate with an inert substance or a fake procedure.

The FDA does allow a small percentage of variance in amount of active ingredient, I do not think that it is as high as 20% though. I do know for certain there are no regulations on the inactive ingredients. To be clear the "inactive ingredients" still could have affects on the performance of the drug in some people, but in general if the FDA approves a generic it works as close to the name brand drug as possible in the majority of people taking it.

The FDA does not seem to actually have a set standard of allowance of any discrepancy that I can find in research on this topic today, however studies have been done comparing the absorption of generics vs name brand drugs and have identified a 3.5% fluctuation in the absorption between them. [SOURCE: Davit et al. Comparing generic and innovator drugs: a review of 12 years of bioequivalence data from the United States Food and Drug Administration. Ann Pharmacother. 2009;43(10):1583-97.]

Below are some info I found searching the FDA website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fda FAQ
What standards do generic drugs have to meet?
Health professionals and consumers can be assured that FDA approved generic drugs have met the same rigid standards as the innovator drug. To gain FDA approval, a generic drug must:
  • contain the same active ingredients as the innovator drug(inactive ingredients may vary)
  • be identical in strength, dosage form, and route of administration
  • have the same use indications
  • be bioequivalent
  • meet the same batch requirements for identity, strength, purity, and quality
  • be manufactured under the same strict standards of FDA's good manufacturing practice regulations required for innovator products SOURCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA Generic Drug standards Facts
FACT: FDA requires generic drugs to have the same quality and performance as brand name drugs.
  • When a generic drug product is approved, it has met rigorous standards established by the FDA with respect to identity, strength, quality, purity, and potency. However, some variability can and does occur during manufacturing, for both brand name and generic drugs. When a drug, generic or brand name, is mass-produced, very small variations in purity, size, strength, and other parameters are permitted. FDA limits how much variability is acceptable.
  • Generic drugs are required to have the same active ingredient, strength, dosage form, and route of administration as the brand name product. Generic drugs do not need to contain the same inactive ingredients as the brand name product.
  • The generic drug manufacturer must prove its drug is the same as (bioequivalent) the brand name drug. For example, after the patient takes the generic drug, the amount of drug in the bloodstream is measured. If the levels of the drug in the bloodstream are the same as the levels found when the brand name product is used, the generic drug will work the same.
  • Through review of bioequivalence data, FDA ensures that the generic product performs the same as its respective brand name product. This standard applies to all generic drugs, whether immediate or controlled release.
  • All generic manufacturing, packaging, and testing sites must pass the same quality standards as those of brand name drugs, and the generic products must meet the same exacting specifications as any brand name product. In fact, many generic drugs are made in the same manufacturing plants as brand name drug products.
SOURCE
Another point I feel is important to bring up is that a medication that does not carry a trade name such as 'Amphetamine salts' not identified as a generic to adderall (not saying this applies specifically just using as an example) is not the same as a generic for a trade named medication. The addition or omission of certain inactive ingredients can and does affect the performance of a drug and can prevent it from performing as well as the trade named drug(such as adderall). There are regulations ensuring a drug claiming to be a generic of adderall behaves like adderall. There are no regulations that a drug not claiming to be a generic works as well as the trade named drug with similar active ingredients.

I feel this is important becuase there are a lot of Amphetamine salt drugs that ADHD patients receive, I think that we need to do additional research to see if these are all listed as official generics of adderall. This could be difficult becuase the document I quoted below indicates that drugs are sometimes mislabled as generics in databases so that insurance will pick up the cost under the coverage of generics. See Below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by source PDF
The absence of a trade name does not equal a generic drug
Not all drugs marketed with out a trade name are approved generics. For example the drug product albuterol sulfate HFA, manufactured by IVAX, was approved without a proprietary name on Oct. 29, 2004, under NDA 21-457. Since the IVAX albuterol sulfate HFA product is labeled with only the established (generic) name, one could easily assume this is a generic version of one of the other two currently marketed albuterol sulfate HFA products: Proventil HFAand Ventolin HFA. Although all three products contain the same active ingredient and propellant (HFA), they are not substitutable products. Differences in excipients such as oleic acid and alcohol—in addition to actual differences in device components, such as the canister and size of valve—may affect performance, resulting in different clinical responses.

Confusion may also arise when drug products are listed incorrectly in drug databases. For example, First Data Bank and Medispan list IVAX albuterol sulfate HFAas a generic drug. Additionally, in clinical practice various
formularies may consider all three brand-name products as generics for reimbursement purposes. SOURCE
Additionally there is a WEALTH of information regarding generic drugs on the FDA site below:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesFo.../ucm169209.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Dubwise For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (05-24-12)
Old 05-24-12, 02:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

There is an FDA resource that maintains lists of all approved generic drugs and call it 'the orange book' and can tell us if various tablets sold as 'amphetamine salts' are approved generics to adderall. Below are my findings when searching for FDA approved generics to adderall:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange book

Searched for Adderall
N021303
RLD:No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE CAPSULE, EXTENDED RELEASE; ORAL 2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG ADDERALL XR 10 SHIRE

N021303
RLD:No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE CAPSULE, EXTENDED RELEASE; ORAL 3.75MG;3.75MG;3.75MG;3.75MG ADDERALL XR 15 SHIRE

N021303
RLD:No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE CAPSULE, EXTENDED RELEASE; ORAL 5MG;5MG;5MG;5MG ADDERALL XR 20 SHIRE

N021303
RLD:No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE CAPSULE, EXTENDED RELEASE; ORAL 6.25MG;6.25MG;6.25MG;6.25MG ADDERALL XR 25 SHIRE

N021303
RLD:Yes AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE CAPSULE, EXTENDED RELEASE; ORAL 7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG ADDERALL XR 30 SHIRE

N021303
RLD:No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE CAPSULE, EXTENDED RELEASE; ORAL 1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG ADDERALL XR 5 SHIRE
Searched for Medications containing Amphetamine salts
A040422 RLD:
Yes AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE BARR

A040422 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE BARR
A040422 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 1.875MG;1.875MG;1.875MG;1.875MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE BARR
A040422 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE BARR
A040422 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 3.125MG;3.125MG;3.125MG;3.125MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE BARR
A040422 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 3.75MG;3.75MG;3.75MG;3.75MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE BARR
A040422 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 5MG;5MG;5MG;5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE BARR
A040444 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE COREPHARMA
A040444 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE COREPHARMA
A040444 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 5MG;5MG;5MG;5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE COREPHARMA
A040444 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE COREPHARMA
A040439 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE SANDOZ
A040439 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE SANDOZ
A040439 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 5MG;5MG;5MG;5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE SANDOZ
A040439 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE SANDOZ
A040472 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG;1.25MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE TEVA PHARMS
A040472 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG;2.5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE TEVA PHARMS
A040472 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 5MG;5MG;5MG;5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE TEVA PHARMS
A040472 RLD: No AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE; AMPHETAMINE SULFATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE; DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE TABLET; ORAL 7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG;7.5MG DEXTROAMP SACCHARATE, AMP ASPARTATE, DEXTROAMP SULFATE AND AMP SULFATE TEVA PHARMS

I bolded the RLD(Reference Listed Drug) in the above examples because this seems very important. The definition of this is in quotes below. This would seem to indicate that only one of the above listed results is actually a recognized Generic of adderall and all others in the list are all brand name since they lack an RLD. All other drugs containing a mix of amphetamine salts that are not listed are not FDA Approved as actual generics for adderall and are being sold as 'amphetamine salts' and are not necessarily equivalent to adderall in its absorption and effectiveness. This seems to indicate that ONLY BARR produced 'amphetamine salts' is approved to be called ADDERALL GENERIC. This could finally explain why there is so much debate surrounding which manufacturers 'generic' is the closest to name brand adderall. I may be interpreting this wrong so by all means if anyone can weigh in on this I think it will help the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD
A reference listed drug (21 CFR 314.94(a)(3)) means the listed drug identified by FDA as the drug product upon which an applicant relies in seeking approval of its ANDA(generic drug labeling).
FDA has identified in the Prescription Drug Product and OTC Drug Product Lists those reference listed drugs to which the in vivo bioequivalence (reference standard) and, in some instances, the in vitro bioequivalence of the applicant's product is compared. By designating a single reference listed drug as the standard to which all generic versions must be shown to be bioequivalent, FDA hopes to avoid possible significant variations among generic drugs and their brand name counterpart. Such variations could result if generic drugs were compared to different reference listed drugs. However, in some instances when listed drugs are approved for a single drug product, a product not designated as the reference listed drug and not shown to be bioequivalent to the reference listed drug may be shielded from generic competition. A firm wishing to market a generic version of a listed drug that is not designated as the reference listed drug may petition the Agency through the Citizen Petition procedure (see 21 CFR 10.25(a) and CFR 10.30). When the Citizen Petition is approved, the second listed drug will be designated as an additional reference listed drug and the petitioner may submit an Abbreviated New Drug Application citing the designated reference listed drug. Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations Codes Products meeting necessary bioequivalence requirements explains the AB, AB1, AB2, AB3coding system for multisource drug products listed under the same heading with two reference listed drugs.

TL;DR = ONLY BARR is producing approved generics for branded adderall.