ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-19-19, 04:14 PM

Sirius is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Would an ADHD-Inattentive type be ill-suited as a registered nurse?

I had a rocky high school career, but I scored very well on the military entrance exam and did a highly technical military job, in which 2 years of education was condensed into a few months. Having inattentive ADHD, it was very challenging, but I passed, and completed my time with an honorable discharge. I was sort of careless in high school, but I developed a strong sense of determination and aversion to failure after leaving.

I am planning on using my benefits for college, and Iím good with people (and like being around them), and Iím great at biology/physiology. Being an RN sounds interesting and rewarding, but I have ADHD-I and donít work at the fastest pace, but rather, a smooth steady pace.

Would someone who is ADHD-I be ill-suited as a registered nurse? What majors should I consider? On job questionnaires Iíve taken, healthcare has always been at the top, and I want a job that will pay enough that I donít need a roommate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirius For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-21-19)
Old 03-21-19, 04:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,082 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would an ADHD-Inattentive type be ill-suited as a registered nurse?

My brother has adhd and he is an RN as a critical care nurse. He likes the fast pace because he doesnt get bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I had a rocky high school career, but I scored very well on the military entrance exam and did a highly technical military job, in which 2 years of education was condensed into a few months. Having inattentive ADHD, it was very challenging, but I passed, and completed my time with an honorable discharge. I was sort of careless in high school, but I developed a strong sense of determination and aversion to failure after leaving.

I am planning on using my benefits for college, and Iím good with people (and like being around them), and Iím great at biology/physiology. Being an RN sounds interesting and rewarding, but I have ADHD-I and donít work at the fastest pace, but rather, a smooth steady pace.

Would someone who is ADHD-I be ill-suited as a registered nurse? What majors should I consider? On job questionnaires Iíve taken, healthcare has always been at the top, and I want a job that will pay enough that I donít need a roommate.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-21-19)
Old 03-21-19, 02:39 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I have inattentive ADD and I'm a CNA and aspiring RN. I also have all the traits of an empath and highly sensitive person, that definitely plays a huge role in it. The Fast pace I think works well for people like us. There's a lot of repetitive work, but a lot of spontaneity and new experiences as well so it's definitely not easy to get bored with. Healthcare isn't for everyone, but if you truly care about helping people and aren't afraid to get dirty, it's a great career to get into.
namazu (03-21-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-19, 02:42 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Another thing to take into consideration is that the RN designation is just that, a designation. Once you get that you have a seemingly endless amount of options and directions you can go, specialties you can focus on, and lots of opportunities to continue your education and add on to your experience, expertise, and pay grade.
namazu (03-21-19)