ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-24-18, 04:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,948 Times in 707 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Daring to dream again. Carefully.

Over the last weeks, a thought was developing me, and today it filled me with joy: 'I can still do a Master degree in whatever field I like!". For people that do not know me, the significance of that idea may require a bit of background information. See, it took me 10 years to finish my Bachelor study, I got completely stuck and I thought I could not finish it, but after failing and trying a lot, I made it just 2 days before the deadline. That was a relief, but the journey was pretty traumatic. I became very religious, and left, my father was an alcoholic, I got diagnosed with ADD and struggled to cope with it and I had multiple episodes of depression. And went from being extremely fit to being 106 kg and overweight.

Now, I somehow got a good job, held on it for more than 2 years and my career future looks bright. I got fit, I do climbing, ice skating and triathlon!

I have a time to look back and deal with the trauma that this difficult time was. I have dropped a lot of side project, and now with more free time on my hands I can gradually accept all the thoughts and feelings that I have and find new meaning in my life.

Today, the idea of doing an MSc, in whatever field I like, gave me a sense of meaning. It's not like I *have* to do it, but the fact that I feel that I *can* and that I now *allow* myself to seriously consider it, instead of saying that it is 'too late' makes me feel extremely happy.

My first idea was doing an MSc in Psychology. So, I signed up for a MOOC and did the first hour of it, as a symbolic step forward. Learned some interesting things already.

Again, not saying that I will do this. But I like to dream in an active way.

I will not tell anyone though, except my therapist. This is my secret dream, that I share with you, anonymously
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-25-18), Greyhound1 (10-26-18), namazu (10-24-18), SashaBV (10-24-18), Vrantic (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 04:17 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road
Re: Daring to dream again. Carefully.

Youve got a lot of optimism in your life i see. Keep that up and always be positive. Youve proven yourself what you can reach for and thats impressive. I want to wish you all the best and hope your dreams come true one day. Youre an inspiration for me. Keep having dreams as the singer Frank Turner says.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vrantic For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 04:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,751 Times in 14,141 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes dream of starting completely over again and doing a degree in neuroscience. It's a beautiful dream. I definitely think you can do it. I've seen people of any age change track and do really well in their chosen field. I think a master's is a different beast to a bachelor's as well. Shorter, which may work to our benefit. And interest in the subject willtake you veryfar in a master's. If you are serious is contact a professor in your chosen field and university and discuss this with them and ask for their advice. Even tell them about your ADHD. So that if you do decide to do it you've already got someone on your side. Someone who can support and guide you right from the beginning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (10-25-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-18, 06:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,948 Times in 707 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Vrantic! I will continue on this wonderful path, and see where it leads me! Even despite some recent events which require my attention right now, I won't stop (actively) dreaming.

Good to hear that you're inspired! What would you like to do, if time/money weren't a problem? Or have you already found a good profession for you?

And thanks Fuzzy! That is a nice dream that you have, I am also very interested in neuroscience!

Good to read that you've actually seen many people change track and that it worked out! I haven't seen it yet, but I believe that it is possible, and now I have your confirmation that it actually is!

Indeed, a master is much more doable. You even have 1-year masters, that almost sounds too easy . I am sure that it is challenging though, and I probably have to do a premaster, depending on the field I choose, but you're right, if you're really interested than that will do. And I have 10 years of study experience so that should help!

Great advice to contact a professor! Who knows, I will do that very early, even if it's just for taking a step and exploring how a MSc would work for me. I can do this way before being sure that I actually want to do that particular MSc and before I have an idea of when to start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
Vrantic (10-26-18)
Old 10-26-18, 07:53 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
Thanks Vrantic! I will continue on this wonderful path, and see where it leads me! Even despite some recent events which require my attention right now, I won't stop (actively) dreaming.

Good to hear that you're inspired! What would you like to do, if time/money weren't a problem? Or have you already found a good profession for you?
Since this thread here is about dreaming i can go on with it i guess

Theres so much to do if time/money isnt a barrier so that one life is too less to accomplish all of my dreams.

Sure thing, if money isnt a problem i would life in a lonly house in florida keys and would have a castle in scotland and no work that needs to be done if i dont want to do it I would somehow push reasearch for ADHD and Aspergers by founding a scientist team for it

But if ANY logical barrier is removed i would spend my life travelling trough time. Living in (almost) every epoche of mankind. Starting with the roman empire and ancient egypt down to the mayas and inkas. Go to the darkest time of middle age and vikings and travel to the places to see how they have been in the past. Sail on the oceans to unveal the mysteries of the carribean. Thats how i would spend my whole existence for, thats where my heart wants to go.

And sadly no, i havent found my profession thats right for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vrantic For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (10-26-18)