ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-14-19, 08:14 AM
Question Question is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 107
Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Question is on a distinguished road
Just saw a psychatrist to get treatment after moving back to my home country

I've been on dexamphetamine for like 5 years, it works very well for me, but I recently moved back to my home country and dexamphetamine is not available there. Whats available is Ritalin, Medikinet (Basically sustained release Ritalin), Concerta (also sustained release Ritalin) and atomoxetine (Strattera).




I initially tried to go through the public health system to see a psychatrist for ADHD, but she refused to diagnose me and just kept making excuses like "I dont deal with ADHD here" and kept hinting to me that I should see a private psychatrist because all her ADHD patients ended up doing the same thing. The private psychatrist was recommended to me by an aunt (she goes to the same clinic and sees his wife apparently).



So the rates are pretty expensive...its $170 for up to 30 mins, and up to $320 for 1 hour. I was charged $320 for a 1 hour appointment, but halfway through the appointment I started to suspect that the doctor was asking me irrelevant questions to drag the appointment out.



He kept asking me questions like what I studied, whether I was looking for a job, what my planned occupation was, etc...I tried to steer the conversation back to my ADHD, but he kept bringing the conversation back to other things. With about 10 minutes left on the clock, he suddenly focused on my ADHD and started talking about my medication options.



Also, you know those MCQ tests to check for ADHD, where you circle some numbers and then the doctor adds them up to tell you whether they think you have ADHD? He requested I do one, and I said sure, because hey, it only takes a few minutes right? I only found out at the end of the appointment that it would cost me $70, by which point it was too late for me to do anything because I had already filled in the form and handed it to the receptionist. I've done this same test at a GP before and was not charged for it.



Is stuff like this normal? It seems very deceptive to me. I mean $70 for that MCQ test seems like a blatant ripoff.



So medication wise, I've tried instant release 10mg Ritalin before, and I know that it gives me headaches (throbbing pain in the head, not sure if thats called a headache or migraine).


I ended up trying Concerta 18mg (the lowest dose), the theory being that it smooths out the dose over the day and might have less side effects. The first problem is that one month supply of the lowest dose (18mg) costs about $4 per capsule...or $120+ per month. This is VERY expensive for me. Medikent is roughly the same price, not sure how much instant release Ritalin is but im pretty sure its much cheaper. I think atomoxetine is much more expensive, but im not sure on the cost.


The first dose I took, I noticed that the beneficial effect seems very mild compared to a 10mg dose of dexamphetamine. Its certaintly not enough to help me focus much.


Unfortunately it comes in a capsule, so i cant try 1.5 capsules to see how it goes, I would hae to go back to get a bottle of the 27mg dose, and this is going to cost a lot...seeing as how I spent $120+ for a bottle to find out that it doesnt work well for me.


Does anyone have any suggestions? Im tempted to try 2x capsules (36 mg) to see how it works for me. I have tried a daily dose of 40 mg Ritalin before, and the headaches were worse than a daily dose of 20 mg.


Another problem is that even on Concerta, I still seem to be getting the same headaches from Ritalin even on this pretty low dose...im fairly sure that if I move up to 27mg, the headaches will worsen and again, the meds are very expensive so I dont want to waste money here.



Not sure what I should do, the headaches are very distracting and kind of defeat the point of taking ADHD medication in the first place.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The cost of the medication is a huge problem, and while the US has sites like goodrx to check for medication prices, we dont have that here in Singapore. I did manage to check the pricing for Concerta with Guardian Pharmacy, but their price for Concerta was even higher than that what the clinic was charging.



Im thinking of trying atomoxetine but if its even more expensive than concerta, thats going to be a huge problem...and it takes 1 month + for it to even start working.


When I was in Australia, I used to pay like $38 for 2 month's worth of dexamphetamine and it worked great for me, it's sad that ADHD treatment is so much more expensive in Singapore .
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Question For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (12-14-19)
  #2  
Old 12-14-19, 01:32 PM
20thcenturyfox's Avatar
20thcenturyfox 20thcenturyfox is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 451
Thanks: 1,414
Thanked 529 Times in 295 Posts
20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
No Solutions, But Plenty of Empathy

Other than going back to Australia, I have no idea what you can do. Especially if you needed dexamphetamine to function on the job, and now you can't afford to experiment with the available alternatives, this seems like a real Catch-22.

When I was working, such a disruption of my Adderall supply would have been a catastrophic setback. I needed it to be able to shift back and forth from fast-paced high-pressure business and political situations to the smooth focus needed for professional research, writing, and preparing presentations. I was also fortunate to have a psychiatrist who let me vary the dosage a bit (from 20-40mg/day) according to the pressure of my job (with poor sleep as the lower bound and feeling overwound as the upper bound). It was more expensive than your Australian dex, but my company plan paid for it, so I didn't have that worry.

Without Adderall (and desvenlafaxine for depression) I would have been a basket case within a week. How lucky I was that I never had to face the problem you have run into moving to a different country with a different health care system--or even just a different doctor.

Curiously we noticed I never needed Adderall when I was traveling, no matter the pace, and no matter the foreign language I was struggling to use. I assumed this was due to the novelty and lack of routine and paperwork. And now that I am retired I also manage without it most of the time (other than when doing taxes or other detailed, multi-step paperwork!)

But maybe I should mention that I always took Omega-3 fish oil and pycnogenol supplements, and I had the impression they helped with focus. Since retiring, I have also overhauled my approach to things like sleep, exercise, and motivation in ways that would probably have been very helpful when I was younger, too. I don't know if doing any of these things would reduce your need for medication or the dosage required, but if you have time on your hands and are starting to feel down about yourself, these might be worth a try.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-19, 08:46 AM
Kunga Dorji's Avatar
Kunga Dorji Kunga Dorji is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,809
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 6,316 Times in 2,987 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just saw a psychatrist to get treatment after moving back to my home country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
I've been on dexamphetamine for like 5 years, it works very well for me, but I recently moved back to my home country and dexamphetamine is not available there. Whats available is Ritalin, Medikinet (Basically sustained release Ritalin), Concerta (also sustained release Ritalin) and atomoxetine (Strattera).




I initially tried to go through the public health system to see a psychatrist for ADHD, but she refused to diagnose me and just kept making excuses like "I dont deal with ADHD here" and kept hinting to me that I should see a private psychatrist because all her ADHD patients ended up doing the same thing. The private psychatrist was recommended to me by an aunt (she goes to the same clinic and sees his wife apparently).



So the rates are pretty expensive...its $170 for up to 30 mins, and up to $320 for 1 hour. I was charged $320 for a 1 hour appointment, but halfway through the appointment I started to suspect that the doctor was asking me irrelevant questions to drag the appointment out.



He kept asking me questions like what I studied, whether I was looking for a job, what my planned occupation was, etc...I tried to steer the conversation back to my ADHD, but he kept bringing the conversation back to other things. With about 10 minutes left on the clock, he suddenly focused on my ADHD and started talking about my medication options.



Also, you know those MCQ tests to check for ADHD, where you circle some numbers and then the doctor adds them up to tell you whether they think you have ADHD? He requested I do one, and I said sure, because hey, it only takes a few minutes right? I only found out at the end of the appointment that it would cost me $70, by which point it was too late for me to do anything because I had already filled in the form and handed it to the receptionist. I've done this same test at a GP before and was not charged for it.



Is stuff like this normal? It seems very deceptive to me. I mean $70 for that MCQ test seems like a blatant ripoff.



So medication wise, I've tried instant release 10mg Ritalin before, and I know that it gives me headaches (throbbing pain in the head, not sure if thats called a headache or migraine).


I ended up trying Concerta 18mg (the lowest dose), the theory being that it smooths out the dose over the day and might have less side effects. The first problem is that one month supply of the lowest dose (18mg) costs about $4 per capsule...or $120+ per month. This is VERY expensive for me. Medikent is roughly the same price, not sure how much instant release Ritalin is but im pretty sure its much cheaper. I think atomoxetine is much more expensive, but im not sure on the cost.


The first dose I took, I noticed that the beneficial effect seems very mild compared to a 10mg dose of dexamphetamine. Its certaintly not enough to help me focus much.


Unfortunately it comes in a capsule, so i cant try 1.5 capsules to see how it goes, I would hae to go back to get a bottle of the 27mg dose, and this is going to cost a lot...seeing as how I spent $120+ for a bottle to find out that it doesnt work well for me.


Does anyone have any suggestions? Im tempted to try 2x capsules (36 mg) to see how it works for me. I have tried a daily dose of 40 mg Ritalin before, and the headaches were worse than a daily dose of 20 mg.


Another problem is that even on Concerta, I still seem to be getting the same headaches from Ritalin even on this pretty low dose...im fairly sure that if I move up to 27mg, the headaches will worsen and again, the meds are very expensive so I dont want to waste money here.



Not sure what I should do, the headaches are very distracting and kind of defeat the point of taking ADHD medication in the first place.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The cost of the medication is a huge problem, and while the US has sites like goodrx to check for medication prices, we dont have that here in Singapore. I did manage to check the pricing for Concerta with Guardian Pharmacy, but their price for Concerta was even higher than that what the clinic was charging.



Im thinking of trying atomoxetine but if its even more expensive than concerta, thats going to be a huge problem...and it takes 1 month + for it to even start working.


When I was in Australia, I used to pay like $38 for 2 month's worth of dexamphetamine and it worked great for me, it's sad that ADHD treatment is so much more expensive in Singapore .
Have someone ( a good physical therapist) properly at the base of the neck. There can be issues with slight malalignment that contribute to the ADHD symptoms and get worse as the stimulants can increase muscle tension to the point of headache through their effect on noradrenaline.

Those muscles contribute lots of proprioceptive drive to the brain, and when they get tight onesidedly this severely disrupts information processing. Getting that settled may well make it easier for you to tolerate stimulants. Iíve had it myself and my requirement has dropped from 50mg Dex to 20-25
__________________

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 12-15-19, 08:48 AM
Kunga Dorji's Avatar
Kunga Dorji Kunga Dorji is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,809
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 6,316 Times in 2,987 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No Solutions, But Plenty of Empathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
Other than going back to Australia, I have no idea what you can do. Especially if you needed dexamphetamine to function on the job, and now you can't afford to experiment with the available alternatives, this seems like a real Catch-22.

When I was working, such a disruption of my Adderall supply would have been a catastrophic setback. I needed it to be able to shift back and forth from fast-paced high-pressure business and political situations to the smooth focus needed for professional research, writing, and preparing presentations. I was also fortunate to have a psychiatrist who let me vary the dosage a bit (from 20-40mg/day) according to the pressure of my job (with poor sleep as the lower bound and feeling overwound as the upper bound). It was more expensive than your Australian dex, but my company plan paid for it, so I didn't have that worry.

Without Adderall (and desvenlafaxine for depression) I would have been a basket case within a week. How lucky I was that I never had to face the problem you have run into moving to a different country with a different health care system--or even just a different doctor.

Curiously we noticed I never needed Adderall when I was traveling, no matter the pace, and no matter the foreign language I was struggling to use. I assumed this was due to the novelty and lack of routine and paperwork. And now that I am retired I also manage without it most of the time (other than when doing taxes or other detailed, multi-step paperwork!)

But maybe I should mention that I always took Omega-3 fish oil and pycnogenol supplements, and I had the impression they helped with focus. Since retiring, I have also overhauled my approach to things like sleep, exercise, and motivation in ways that would probably have been very helpful when I was younger, too. I don't know if doing any of these things would reduce your need for medication or the dosage required, but if you have time on your hands and are starting to feel down about yourself, these might be worth a try.
Interesting observation about travelling.
Iíd be betting on the greater amount of exercise as being important.
__________________

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-19, 08:54 AM
Kunga Dorji's Avatar
Kunga Dorji Kunga Dorji is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,809
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 6,316 Times in 2,987 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just saw a psychatrist to get treatment after moving back to my home country

Re the headaches. https://amphetamines.com/signs-and-p...tamines-abuse/

One of the very common physical effects of Amphetamines is muscle tension. The pain in the person muscles can sometimes be so painful that it is hard for them to even stand. If the muscle tension is in the head muscles, it can cause their jaw to clench and them to start grinding their teeth. This can lead to more serious dental issues such as damaged teeth and gums.

What I’ve seen ( I retired as a doctor early this year) is that the muscle tension is always worst in areas of pre existing tension, hence the relevance of the headaches to the muscles at the top of the neck. The above comments apply to all stimulants btw
__________________

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-19, 10:05 AM
Question Question is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 107
Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Question is on a distinguished road
Re: Just saw a psychatrist to get treatment after moving back to my home country

How do I check for muscle tension? I feel fine as I sit and walk around, although strangely, I have been getting a problem ever since I moved back home where sleeping on my right side causes muscle strain and some pain on the left side of my neck. Only the left side of the neck though. Not sure whats causing it, I feel fine at all other times, except when im sleeping on my right side.


The base of my neck seems fine, no pain or strain there.



I tried buying a decent memory foam pillow : https://ekohome.com.sg/domus/memory/...cooling/pillow but the problem still persists. Any ideas on how to narrow it down to what is causing it?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-15-19, 10:05 AM
Question Question is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 107
Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Question is on a distinguished road
Re: No Solutions, But Plenty of Empathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
Other than going back to Australia, I have no idea what you can do. Especially if you needed dexamphetamine to function on the job, and now you can't afford to experiment with the available alternatives, this seems like a real Catch-22.

When I was working, such a disruption of my Adderall supply would have been a catastrophic setback. I needed it to be able to shift back and forth from fast-paced high-pressure business and political situations to the smooth focus needed for professional research, writing, and preparing presentations. I was also fortunate to have a psychiatrist who let me vary the dosage a bit (from 20-40mg/day) according to the pressure of my job (with poor sleep as the lower bound and feeling overwound as the upper bound). It was more expensive than your Australian dex, but my company plan paid for it, so I didn't have that worry.

Without Adderall (and desvenlafaxine for depression) I would have been a basket case within a week. How lucky I was that I never had to face the problem you have run into moving to a different country with a different health care system--or even just a different doctor.

Curiously we noticed I never needed Adderall when I was traveling, no matter the pace, and no matter the foreign language I was struggling to use. I assumed this was due to the novelty and lack of routine and paperwork. And now that I am retired I also manage without it most of the time (other than when doing taxes or other detailed, multi-step paperwork!)

But maybe I should mention that I always took Omega-3 fish oil and pycnogenol supplements, and I had the impression they helped with focus. Since retiring, I have also overhauled my approach to things like sleep, exercise, and motivation in ways that would probably have been very helpful when I was younger, too. I don't know if doing any of these things would reduce your need for medication or the dosage required, but if you have time on your hands and are starting to feel down about yourself, these might be worth a try.

Ive read that fish oil might help with ADHD...not sure what kind of supplements to buy though, or where. Does it need to be a specific type of fish oil to work?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Question For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (12-17-19)
  #8  
Old 12-15-19, 06:46 PM
20thcenturyfox's Avatar
20thcenturyfox 20thcenturyfox is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 451
Thanks: 1,414
Thanked 529 Times in 295 Posts
20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
Exercise, the Original Stimulant....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
Interesting observation about travelling.
Iíd be betting on the greater amount of exercise as being important.
There is probably some truth to this, as I was physically active sporadically when I was younger, but nowhere near as active as I have become in old age.

On the other hand, my mental performance and ability to persist, shift focus, and hold up under pressure (not to mention my sleep quality) was and still is much better with Adderall than without it.

And for me there must also be some dopamine-stimulating aspect of trying to speak a foreign language, because throughout my life, with Adderall or without, whether it is one I know somewhat well, or something completely new, all the lights come on whenever I plunge into another language than English. It's a conspicuous high that leaves me exhausted at the end of each day, but able to sleep like a baby each night and be ready to go again.

Hey, maybe I should switch places with OP...he could come freeze his toes in Canada but get back on Adderall, while I could practice my Mandarin and learn Malay, and I wouldn't need it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (12-15-19)
  #9  
Old 12-15-19, 07:36 PM
Kunga Dorji's Avatar
Kunga Dorji Kunga Dorji is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,809
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 6,316 Times in 2,987 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just saw a psychatrist to get treatment after moving back to my home country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
How do I check for muscle tension? I feel fine as I sit and walk around, although strangely, I have been getting a problem ever since I moved back home where sleeping on my right side causes muscle strain and some pain on the left side of my neck. Only the left side of the neck though. Not sure whats causing it, I feel fine at all other times, except when im sleeping on my right side.


The base of my neck seems fine, no pain or strain there.



I tried buying a decent memory foam pillow : https://ekohome.com.sg/domus/memory/...cooling/pillow but the problem still persists. Any ideas on how to narrow it down to what is causing it?
Not the base of your neck, the base of your skull.
If the problem is one sided that increases the chances of it being important, and increases the chance of it contributing to ADHD symptoms.
The best approach is to see a chiropractor who specialises in upper cervical issues ( Atlas Orthogonal, of NUCCA), if you can find one where you are.

Iíve never found specialised pillows much good.
__________________

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-15-19, 07:38 PM
Kunga Dorji's Avatar
Kunga Dorji Kunga Dorji is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,809
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 6,316 Times in 2,987 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No Solutions, But Plenty of Empathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
Ive read that fish oil might help with ADHD...not sure what kind of supplements to buy though, or where. Does it need to be a specific type of fish oil to work?
It has never done anything for ma, or any family member.
Itís expensive too.
__________________

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-15-19, 07:49 PM
20thcenturyfox's Avatar
20thcenturyfox 20thcenturyfox is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 451
Thanks: 1,414
Thanked 529 Times in 295 Posts
20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
Omega-3 Fish Oil (Not Fish Liver Oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
Ive read that fish oil might help with ADHD...not sure what kind of supplements to buy though, or where. Does it need to be a specific type of fish oil to work?
In the last 20 years there has been a lot of research on the benefits (or not) of anti-inflammatory marine source Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA (hence, fish oil) for everything from depression and ADHD to heart disease and Alzheimers.

With reference to ADHD, a recent study from King's College UK and China Medical University in Taiwan found that high-dose Omega 3 supplements with EPA were as effective as drugs--for those children who initially had the lowest blood levels of EPA. But for the kids who already had high EPA levels, the supplements did not improve attention and aggravated impulsivity. Previous research by the same group found that children with omega-3 deficiency are more likely to have more severe ADHD.
In a randomised controlled trial, 92 children with ADHD aged 6-18 were given high doses of the omega-3 fatty acid EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) or a placebo for 12 weeks. The results are published in the journal Translational Psychiatry.

The researchers found that children with the lowest blood levels of EPA showed improvements in focussed attention and vigilance after taking the omega-3 supplements, but these improvements weren't seen in children with normal or high blood-levels of EPA. In addition, for those children with high pre-existing blood-levels of EPA, omega-3 supplements had negative effects on impulsivity symptoms. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-...attention.html
BTW, what they refer to as high dose was only 1.2g of EPA for 12 weeks, whereas the European Union has tentatively set 5 grams per day of combined EPA & DHA indefinitely as a safe upper limit. There is no reported toxicity. It was also noted that since more fish is consumed in Taiwan, children elsewhere are less likely to have such high EPA levels as the Taiwanese sample.

I have been posting in another thread that I have been actively looking for any research showing harm from too much Omega-3 supplements (because I have been taking a lot for a long time...and it is, after all, oil based and therefore likely to build up), and there is absolutely nothing so far but one mouse study looking at one change possibly relating to Alzheimers...and now this Taiwanese study mentioning impulsivity. Although I am surprised to find nothing negative, and intend to keep looking, I think this means you (as an adult) would be pretty safe experimenting with 4-5 g/day of any reliable vitamin or store brand of Omega-3 with >50% EPA for up to 3 months to just see if you notice any improvements. Some people on here are helped by it, some aren't.

There is a sub-story about Omega 3's which may apply to you if your diet has changed moving from Singapore to Australia and back. One reason why even non-ADHD Americans (among others) are thought to suddenly need all these supplemental Omega 3's after thriving without them for all of evolutionary history, is that the prevalence of cheap industrial oils like sunflower, soy, and cottonseed has skyrocketed with the availability of prepared foods. These oils are high in another group of fatty acids called Omega 6 which tend to be inflammatory, originally coexisted in balance with Omega 3's in a 1:1 ratio, but now have become so dominant that the ratio may be as high as 50:1 in a heavily take-out or fast food diet. So the amount of Omega-3 you need also depends on the amount of Omega 6 you have been consuming. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by 20thcenturyfox; 12-15-19 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-15-19, 10:18 PM
Kunga Dorji's Avatar
Kunga Dorji Kunga Dorji is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,809
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 6,316 Times in 2,987 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Omega-3 Fish Oil (Not Fish Liver Oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
In the last 20 years there has been a lot of research on the benefits (or not) of anti-inflammatory marine source Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA (hence, fish oil) for everything from depression and ADHD to heart disease and Alzheimers.

With reference to ADHD, a recent study from King's College UK and China Medical University in Taiwan found that high-dose Omega 3 supplements with EPA were as effective as drugs--for those children who initially had the lowest blood levels of EPA. But for the kids who already had high EPA levels, the supplements did not improve attention and aggravated impulsivity. Previous research by the same group found that children with omega-3 deficiency are more likely to have more severe ADHD.
In a randomised controlled trial, 92 children with ADHD aged 6-18 were given high doses of the omega-3 fatty acid EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) or a placebo for 12 weeks. The results are published in the journal Translational Psychiatry.

The researchers found that children with the lowest blood levels of EPA showed improvements in focussed attention and vigilance after taking the omega-3 supplements, but these improvements weren't seen in children with normal or high blood-levels of EPA. In addition, for those children with high pre-existing blood-levels of EPA, omega-3 supplements had negative effects on impulsivity symptoms. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-...attention.html
BTW, what they refer to as high dose was only 1.2g of EPA for 12 weeks, whereas the European Union has tentatively set 5 grams per day of combined EPA & DHA indefinitely as a safe upper limit. There is no reported toxicity. It was also noted that since more fish is consumed in Taiwan, children elsewhere are less likely to have such high EPA levels as the Taiwanese sample.

I have been posting in another thread that I have been actively looking for any research showing harm from too much Omega-3 supplements (because I have been taking a lot for a long time...and it is, after all, oil based and therefore likely to build up), and there is absolutely nothing so far but one mouse study looking at one change possibly relating to Alzheimers...and now this Taiwanese study mentioning impulsivity. Although I am surprised to find nothing negative, and intend to keep looking, I think this means you (as an adult) would be pretty safe experimenting with 4-5 g/day of any reliable vitamin or store brand of Omega-3 with >50% EPA for up to 3 months to just see if you notice any improvements. Some people on here are helped by it, some aren't.

There is a sub-story about Omega 3's which may apply to you if your diet has changed moving from Singapore to Australia and back. One reason why even non-ADHD Americans (among others) are thought to suddenly need all these supplemental Omega 3's after thriving without them for all of evolutionary history, is that the prevalence of cheap industrial oils like sunflower, soy, and cottonseed has skyrocketed with the availability of prepared foods. These oils are high in another group of fatty acids called Omega 6 which tend to be inflammatory, originally coexisted in balance with Omega 3's in a 1:1 ratio, but now have become so dominant that the ratio may be as high as 50:1 in a heavily take-out or fast food diet. So the amount of Omega-3 you need also depends on the amount of Omega 6 you have been consuming. Just something to keep in mind.

Im absolutely with you on the matter of n3:n6 ratio.
We really have to avoid these cheap vegetable oils completely. They are pro- inflammatory.
There is a US osteopath, Patrick Nemechek using omega3s and also monounsaturated oils like olive oil to suppress inflammatory reactions in the brain. Now that's a good idea in autism, and alzheimer's, but that is a different pathology set to ADHD:

It is quite a complex approach also involving gut flora

Now, given the effects of omega threes I would expect that they would improve brain function in anybody who had a low level.
I also suspect that ADHD involves much more functional brain dysfunction.

The last point for now is that the stimulants have this enormous benefit that they work straight away- within 20 minutes or so-- so you know quickly whether you are on the right track.
__________________

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-19, 01:28 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,674
Thanks: 5,804
Thanked 33,172 Times in 15,387 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just saw a psychatrist to get treatment after moving back to my home country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
Also, you know those MCQ tests to check for ADHD, where you circle some numbers and then the doctor adds them up to tell you whether they think you have ADHD? He requested I do one, and I said sure, because hey, it only takes a few minutes right? I only found out at the end of the appointment that it would cost me $70, by which point it was too late for me to do anything because I had already filled in the form and handed it to the receptionist. I've done this same test at a GP before and was not charged for it.



Is stuff like this normal? It seems very deceptive to me. I mean $70 for that MCQ test seems like a blatant ripoff.
There are no tests approved to diagnose adhd so in my opinion it is a rip off.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-19-19, 12:47 PM
20thcenturyfox's Avatar
20thcenturyfox 20thcenturyfox is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 451
Thanks: 1,414
Thanked 529 Times in 295 Posts
20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
Just a Head's Up that Cheapness Does Not Perfectly Correlate with Omega-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
Im absolutely with you on the matter of n3:n6 ratio.
We really have to avoid these cheap vegetable oils completely. They are pro- inflammatory....
For the benefit of non-professionals reading this, keep in mind there are some pretty high-class oils and nuts which are relatively high in inflammatory Omega-6's (walnut oil, grapeseed oil, sesame oil). Meanwhile there are some pretty humble oils (coconut, palm kernel, beef tallow, butter) which are low in Omega-6's.

It appears to me that the problem with the cheap, shelf-stable soy-cottonseed-sunflower oils is that they have become so prevalent in prepared foods at a time when people are eating more prepared (and especially deep-fried) foods, that the consumption of Omega-6 has skyrocketed.

Meanwhile Omega-3's (once they are taken out of the fish) break down easily under warm or bright storage conditions, so even those supplements you bought and kept in the kitchen window might not be doing you much good.

I'll see if I can reproduce here the graphic I posted in the Omega-3 thread showing percentages of Omega-6 in various foods.


Last edited by 20thcenturyfox; 12-19-19 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for the treatment to save my life. Somurio Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 2 04-04-16 04:19 AM
Moving back with parents with my new diagnosis lavita_bella Relationships & Social Issues 8 02-01-14 07:43 AM
Looking back, Moving forward... marie-johanne Women with ADD/ADHD 12 06-17-10 01:48 PM
Getting back to the AddForums Home Page MisterBizarro Site Suggestions & Feedback 6 10-29-08 08:19 PM
avoiding the back to school homework blues gabriela Primary & Secondary Education 5 09-10-04 08:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums