ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-15, 06:41 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,062 Times in 7,975 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any M:TG players? Come share your decks!

AND.......

They just banned Birthing Pod from being played. The key card to my melira pod deck I posted. The deck does NOT function without that card.

Well?
There's that.

/uncontrollable sobs

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 01-24-15, 07:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,498 Times in 13,311 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

who is "they" ...?
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-25-15)
Old 01-24-15, 08:47 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
who is "they" ...?
The people who stage the recognized tournaments for this type of game. Players strategically assemble their own personal decks of cards that they use as resources in playing the game, each type of card has a place in the strategy of the game in terms of being able to be played against other cards and so on, and the card that psychopathetic is disappointed about was apparently judged to be such a huge advantage (for any player who had one) that it could potentially ruin the tournaments by skewing the scores.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-25-15), stef (01-25-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-15, 09:55 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

You seem awfully like an aspie
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-15, 12:01 AM

Thanked 22,381 Times in 12,052 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

So they just make up their own rules at will?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-15, 12:34 AM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
So they just make up their own rules at will?
No, not really, but because players have so much choice of cards they have to sort of police the results. If one certain card becomes almost a guaranteed win, then the game is kind of wrecked for anyone who doesn't have it.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-25-15), psychopathetic (01-25-15)
Old 01-25-15, 01:51 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,687 Times in 1,298 Posts
tazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't judge other people's hobbies without actually experiencing them for yourself. Sometimes hobbies hold a large amount of meaning to an individual and it can be hurtful when you disparage them.

Just to be clear, I know that most if not all of the replies were written in humor and I assume that psychopathetic took them as such. However, misunderstandings can happen, especially when communicating through writing. Please keep this in mind when posting in a manner that can be perceived in a negative light.

I played the game 20 years or so ago for 6 years and I'll try to explain the appeal behind it and its history.

The game is based on the albums of collectible cards that children buy for the sake of collecting and trading with friends. 21 years ago or so, Wizards of the coast expanded on that idea and added a playable element to those cards inventing the idea of a tradable card game. It started off with a basic set of around 300 cards, with 60 card starter decks which included also the resources needed to cast spells called lands and 15 card booster packs without lands. The cards were separated into the different rarities: common, uncommon and rare, booster packs included 1 rare, 4 uncommon cards and 10 common cards. The starter decks allowed people to buy one and play immediately with friends.

So initially people bought a single deck and played with each other, however, collecting cards is fun and trading with friends is also fun, so people bought more cards and traded the duplicates trying to complete their collections. The game itself combines the randomness of poker, the strategy of board games such as risk and a unique element at the time which was deck building. You see, one of the challenges of the game is to create a deck out of the cards you collected that will be well balanced and be able to beat other decks made out of the huge pool of cards. The game is fast paced and each game relies on both skill and luck and the quality of the cards used and the deck built. Most games last around 20 to 30 minutes.

To make the game more competitive and appealing, Wizards copied the idea of large tournaments with prize money from poker, with prizes of close to one million dollars for the first ever tournament and made it into a global sport by arranging qualifies allover the world with pries of admission to the larger tournament.

Every year Wizards released multiple sets each adding more cards to the overall pull of cards and this has been going on for more than 20 years. Each set typically has a few cards that are key components of decks ranging from fast decks with low cost spells (minions) to complex combo decks that are designed to use interactions between different cards to win. Other decks include larger creature decks relying on cards that generate resources and high value expensive cards and control oriented decks that are designed to react to the opponents moves by destroying their resources and establishing control of the battlefield.

To increase the collecting element, wizards stopped selling the oldest set when a new set comes out only leaving two cycles of sets (Each cycle includes a core set and two expansions) at any given time to be sold in stores. This means that cards of older sets can only be collected through trading or buying from other collectors. Every set has a certain amount of cards that are more powerful or have strong interactions with other cards and the demand for those cards increased as time passed and more people started playing the game.

To limit the advantage of older players and constantly shake up the playing field creating demand for newer cards, most of the tournaments are limited to sets being sold at the time of the tournaments. However, there are multiple different formats that use different rules and restrictions over which cards a player can use in their decks.

Now, you have to remember that the game came out in 1993 and the first sets were released with a very low supply and demand so there is a very limited supply of the oldest cards and sets, additionally Wizards had little ability to access how powerful cards would be compared to others. This created a situation were certain cards in the first few sets have slowly increased in value as the years went by. Cards that were once worth a few dollars suddenly jumped up in price with the most valuable cards being worth up to 5000 dollars. I haven't played the game since I was 20 or so, however, the cards that my brothers and I had collected at the time have increased in value from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars worth of cards. Thus, the collectable card game has taken on properties of art collection and the appeal has increased as a result.

The reason why certain cards are banned in every format is that those cards are just too powerful in combination with other cards and consequently, decks with those cards dominate the tournament scene. This makes the tournaments less fun and interesting as most games are between copies of the same deck because that deck has the highest chance to win the tournament.

The problem is that before the ban, the banned card typically increases in price as there is a large amount of demand for it as everyone wants the card for their decks. Once the card is banned the demand drastically falls and the price can fall with it meaning that people lose money as a result of the ban. Additionally, cards that worked well with the banned card can also decrease in value because a deck is made out of multiple cards and can become ineffective when one of the core cards of the deck is banned. This is especially true in combo decks where one card is the driving engine of the combo.

In Psycho's case, he spent a large amount of money buying all the cards needed to construct his deck, assuming that he will be able to use the deck in tournaments and hopefully win a prize and get back some of the money. That's why he was sad about the card getting banned and it has nothing to do with being an aspie. Luckily, he can still play with the cards with friends and cards are typically only banned in a limited amount of formats so the value won't decrease too much as a result of the ban and might even increase after enough time.

No matter what, sorry to hear of the ban Psycho, I hope you are able to construct a different deck that you enjoy playing and that works well in tournaments and the new meta.

Last edited by BellaVita; 01-25-15 at 03:39 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tazoz For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-25-15), stef (01-25-15)
Old 01-25-15, 03:02 AM
Mr. BllVt

I'm pretty sure the Aspie comment was more related to the intense dedication to (and enthusiastic description of) the game as a whole.

I hope my comments weren't some that sounded disparaging, because they certainly weren't meant that way - I was trying to give a super-compressed explanation of the difficulty about a banned card to someone who wasn't involved in the game at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-15, 03:14 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,687 Times in 1,298 Posts
tazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm just going through a tough time and I'm seeing things in an overly negative manner and not really clearly. I understand that most if not all of the posts were written in humor and that Psychopathetic most likely took them as such. Disregard my criticism and I apologize if it made anyone uncomfortable.
The Following User Says Thank You to tazoz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-15, 03:46 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazoz View Post
Sorry, I'm just going through a tough time and I'm seeing things in an overly negative manner and not really clearly. I understand that most if not all of the posts were written in humor and that Psychopathetic most likely took them as such. Disregard my criticism and I apologize if it made anyone uncomfortable.
Awwww, yeah I also wasn't trying to be mean to him.

I actually hadn't even read the banned comment part yet when I posted that, I was just talking about how detailed and enthusiastic about the game he was in his first post.

His first post reminded me of my many MBTI threads.

So I guess I just saw his dedication and made a connection.

He also has mentioned (and we've joked) about him possibly being an aspie in some of his earlier posts.

I didn't mean to place my comment right after something bad happened to him, that was poor timing and lack of reading on my end.

(I hope for psycho that you figure something else out that works great )

Also probably typical aspie mistake on my end to submit a comment that may not be too great for the situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-25-15), tazoz (01-25-15)
Old 01-25-15, 12:36 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,062 Times in 7,975 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

/loves you guys!

lol I've felt no disrespect from any one here in these comments. Even Abi's comment about this game sounding boring to him gave me a warm chuckle and a grin. I can absolutely see how this game could be hella boring to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazy
Just to be clear, I know that most if not all of the replies were written in humor and I assume that psychopathetic took them as such.
Awww! Thanks for standing up for me Taz! I really appreciate that!!
Also, awesome write up about magic's history!
I have such a difficult time trying to explain this to people who've never played a TCG (Trading Card Game) before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD
The people who stage the recognized tournaments for this type of game. Players strategically assemble their own personal decks of cards that they use as resources in playing the game, each type of card has a place in the strategy of the game in terms of being able to be played against other cards and so on, and the card that psychopathetic is disappointed about was apparently judged to be such a huge advantage (for any player who had one) that it could potentially ruin the tournaments by skewing the scores.
That's awesome! Thanks for explaining things so extremely clearly!!

Quote:
You seem awfully like an aspie
haha I so did not get a single hint of any kind of negative from this comment at all!
/hearts his Bells!

I wonder if I should ask my p-doc about this. There was a therapist who specialized in autism who mentioned to my therapist I was seeing that he strongly suspected I had asperger's several years ago. He really wanted to work with me...but I just never ended up following through with it and the whole aspie thing just kinda faded away.
He's since retired and now that he's gone, I really regret not going and talking with him a bit.

Anyhow lol you guys rock! I love that there's so many comments on this thread!

((((((((((((((HUGS TO ALL))))))))))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-25-15), stef (01-25-15)
Old 01-25-15, 02:10 PM

Thanked 4,184 Times in 2,013 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute

Have been tempted by this game in the past but I know I would get way too into it!!! As it is I made my boyfriend play our new board game (Dominion) with me 4 times yesterday lol! Ack
The Following User Says Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-15, 06:01 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,431 Times in 5,439 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Oi! Dominion I've played. I love it and we own so many of the expansions. I have so much fun trying to optimize a strategy from a randomly selected card base.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-26-15)
Old 01-25-15, 06:51 PM

Thanked 4,184 Times in 2,013 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that you can randomly select cards!!! It makes the game different every time you play! We just have the basic original set, but it's been fun mixing in new cards. Oh, my boyfriend made a really fun mix last night, it was such a close game both times we played it.

The only thing with Dominion is you don't HAVE to pick cards that make you interact with the other player, so it can be a little bit of, you're both playing your own game until the end when it gets down to the wire. It would be even better with more interaction. (Boyfriend hates the Thief and Curse cards and stuff)

I'm definitely restraining myself from going straight to the local game store and getting an expansion!!! Moneymoney **Wince**

Though boyfriend's bday is in May...

Anyways, sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this thread. I thought of Dominion because in a way it's similar to Magic, where you're trying to build your deck to make things ideal for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-15, 09:28 PM

Thanked 22,381 Times in 12,052 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

We love you too.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post: