ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-17-18, 07:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all
Re: Fear of taking the first pill?!

Day 39... i'm getting paranoia ;-((( There have been some painful triggers with friends, but i think i'm overreacting, by getting very insecure about them and about myself too.

It started about a week ago and yesterdaynight at a meeting, when the medication worked out, it became very bad... i thought no one was looking at or talking to me and sharing about it made it worse, because i felt blame for being 'too heady'. This morning after taking the meds, i felt 'normal' again, but late afternoon it started to come back. I tried to fight it all day but i couldn't let go, and i'm afraid to talk about it because i feel such a freak Also, i lost my appetite and 5 kg weight...

I think it's best to call my psych tomorrow, but i don't like it, because before this paranoia came, i was doing so well on this dose, much much better than before i started medication, drive my car without panic attacks even. Can it be that these side effects suddenly appear, or is it overreacting on a situation going bad, because i put way too much focus on that one thing over the past month, and now i'm kind of lost?
Old 04-17-18, 07:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaia.S View Post
Day 39... i'm getting paranoia ;-((( There have been some painful triggers with friends, but i think i'm overreacting, by getting very insecure about them and about myself too.

It started about a week ago and yesterdaynight at a meeting, when the medication worked out, it became very bad... i thought no one was looking at or talking to me and sharing about it made it worse, because i felt blame for being 'too heady'. This morning after taking the meds, i felt 'normal' again, but late afternoon it started to come back. I tried to fight it all day but i couldn't let go, and i'm afraid to talk about it because i feel such a freak Also, i lost my appetite and 5 kg weight...

I think it's best to call my psych tomorrow, but i don't like it, because before this paranoia came, i was doing so well on this dose, much much better than before i started medication, drive my car without panic attacks even. Can it be that these side effects suddenly appear, or is it overreacting on a situation going bad, because i put way too much focus on that one thing over the past month, and now i'm kind of lost?
Do you have any comorbid conditions (such as anxiety disorder) that might explain the paranoia? Have been getting good sleep lately?

Also, perhaps you and your doctor should think about the timing of your doses and the timing of your paranoia. If the paranoia happens only after the concerta is out of your system, then maybe you need a booster dose of methylphenidate for the afternoon. On the other hand, if the paranoia tends to occur when the concerta is at its peak levels in your system, then maybe you should try lowering the dose.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 08:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Do you have any comorbid conditions (such as anxiety disorder) that might explain the paranoia? Have been getting good sleep lately?

Also, perhaps you and your doctor should think about the timing of your doses and the timing of your paranoia. If the paranoia happens only after the concerta is out of your system, then maybe you need a booster dose of methylphenidate for the afternoon. On the other hand, if the paranoia tends to occur when the concerta is at its peak levels in your system, then maybe you should try lowering the dose.
I had panic attacks before i started medication, and some anxiety after... it seemed like an improvement and it became much less also over the past weeks. I haven't been sleeping good lately because of sadness/anxiety over some recent events.

I start my day with coffee and then take the meds later in the morning, around 11 am, in order to keep it working until 21 pm. Today i was first triggered into bad feelings around 16 pm (due to being confronted with the painful situation again), then the paranoia started to built up short after (so about 5 hrs after taking the meds, i guess that's the peak? But before this situation triggering emotions, it wasn't happening? And it got way worse around 21 pm, as i could also feel some weird shift in awareness (like in a panic attack, but different, hard to explain... but a little dissociation/depersonalisation also)... same thing happened yesterday, at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-19, 05:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Than came the depression...

and i stopped writing here. I was more bones than flesh and had to stop the Concerta immediately.

I'm on Escitalopram for the past year now. It works, in fact i thought it worked so well, that i could try to lower the dose and stop. Because it still scares the hell out of me to be depending on meds, and i gained too much weight and lost my libido. Well, that turned out to be a bad idea. In 2 months time, i became 'totally adhd" again: skipping from one subject to another, no focus, agitation, not happy, feeling stuck... so last week i doubled the dose again, and i feel it working already... more peace in the head.

When do i accept the fact that my brain is not doing well without meds?! It's not a matter of me not doing my best. It's not weak. It's not the easy way out. In fact, there is no way out without meds. The side-effects are far more bearable than the symptoms. Switching the dose proves that, as i tend to forget how things were before or even deny there was a problem at all.

I'm seeing my psych this week to talk about further treatment. I was thinking about suggesting dexamfetamine? Because even though i'm less depressed now, i'm still in freeze mode too much, doing some volunteer work now (with animals, it's great! they take me as i am and it doesn't feel as work at all) but have to prepare for a paying job *** well!
Old 08-19-19, 12:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

Escitalopram is an antidepressant, indicated for generalized anxiety and works very well for social anxiety (I tried it in the past). The problem is that when taken without stimulants, you will not be treated for adhd. I have read the entire post and I see that you suffer from two problems: ADHD and anxiety. According to Barkley, in adulthood it is very likely that the two disorders coexist together, for all that we have been "dragging" since childhood. I tried the combination of escitalopram and concerta and it worked very well. Another option, which I think will be better than escitalopram, would be to try the duals (duloxetine or venlafaxine), since they also "touch" norepinephrine, and that helps with adhd, but each person is a world and responds differently to medications . Seeing that you have improved a lot when taking escitalopram, it is clear that you suffer from anxiety and / or depression. I recommend that you talk to your doctor and propose to return to the concerta without removing the escitalopram, or to evaluate other options such as those I have mentioned before (duloxetine or venlafaxine). I hope it has been helpful for you. Greetings.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, but I have been 9 years of treatment and have tried several medications. Understand that my assessment does not have to be correct, that's what doctors are for, talk to yours, don't leave it.
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (08-19-19)
Old 08-22-19, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benito View Post
Escitalopram is an antidepressant, indicated for generalized anxiety and works very well for social anxiety (I tried it in the past). The problem is that when taken without stimulants, you will not be treated for adhd. I have read the entire post and I see that you suffer from two problems: ADHD and anxiety. According to Barkley, in adulthood it is very likely that the two disorders coexist together, for all that we have been "dragging" since childhood. I tried the combination of escitalopram and concerta and it worked very well.
This sounds very true also in my case. My doctor prescribed dexamfetamine together with the escitalopram, so i hope it will work. May i ask: why did you stop taking the combination that worked so well for you?
Old 08-22-19, 01:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hi, Kaia. I stop taking it because weight gain and other side effects from escitalopram, like lack of energy, sleepy all day and a lot of hunger. Greetings.
Old 08-22-19, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

I have left escitalopram in a bad place and it does not deserve it. As an anxiolytic antidepressant it is the best there is. There are other people who say it makes them nervous (but these are less). Very good if your anxiety is overwhelming.
Kaia.S (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19, 04:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks Benito, yes the constant hunger and weight gain is also an issue here.. 'funny' because last year i had to stop taking Concerta because i was depressed and nothing but bones and skin. Now together with the dexamfetamine maybe there will be more balance also in that area?
Old 08-23-19, 09:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

Of course, now the medication will be more balanced. Escitalopram will do well with anxiety / depression and amphetamine will improve your symptoms of ADHD (including anxiety / restlessness). With amphetamine, I notice that time becomes slower, that there is no hurry to do things and that there is time to do them. It is a great feeling.

However, if you see that your weight is increasing and your self-esteem suffers from it, there are other options for more neutral antidepressants in terms of weight.

Remember: psychotherapy is very important, as well as exercise, eat well and sleep well (stay hidrated too). You have to do a lot of your part to create new routines, now with the help of medication you can be more constant and achieve your goals.

Greetings!!
Kaia.S (08-25-19)