ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-05-04, 02:47 AM

ttmolnar is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Can't Stop

I am a 22 yr old college student. I have been perscribed adderall 15 MG twice a day. I used to take the dosage perscribed but now i can't stop taking at least 60 MG a day. I know this may not sound like a lot to some people, but i also drink a lot when i take it. It's hard to describe, i don't drink at all unless i take my adderall, i don't smoke cigs at all unless i take my adderall either. I can feel the adderall taking effect on my body but for some reason i just can't stop. I keep telling myself, " Okay today i will just take two pills" but then once i take one, i have this fear of "coming down" even though i don't really get that "high" anymore. I can't find many things about people drinking and taking adderall, i have read all of the normal stuff, like how its not good because one is an upper and one is a downer but i have been drinking a lot and taking adderall for about two years now. I am starting to get worried because i have these weird attacks at night like i can't breathe, and during the day i feel like my ears are constantly ringing. I haven't found any information about people taking too much adderall and their ears ringing or their eyes becoming fuzzy, so i don't know if it is just me or if it really is the addearll. Anyway, i know i need to stop and i know i need help. but i am too scared to ask for help because i know i will have to stop and i am not sure if i am ready for that. If anyone responds, i do not need to know about "asking my doctor for help or telling someone about it" because i know what i have to do.. this is my first step, i just need someone who knows what i am going through.
Old 12-05-04, 11:53 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
A lot of us have been where you are. Most that are still around have eventually asked for help. Your "attacks" sound very much like panic attacks - anxiety can be a powerfull thing. Adderall can make anxiety worse - but it can also help it in ADDers, so it's not necessarily the Adderall. Binge drinking and other addictive behaviour is a fairly common ADD trait, but usually stimulants help with that, not make it worse, so I wouldn't guess that the Adderall is the root cause of the drinking - usually fear is the root cause - as often as not, social anxiety/fear and/or fear of faliure.....Again, many here have been where you are now.
You need someone to talk to. It doesn't have to be your parents or your doctor, but you should talk to someone. Your school should have resources - ask at the medical centre to talk to someone about "stress" related to school, exams, etc - ask to make sure it's confidential, but it should be. It's amazing how much talking to someone non-judgmental helps with problems like this. You are not alone - as much as it may feel that way sometimes - and college can be a very stressful, frustrating and scary place in a lot of ways, and you can't always predict how you will react to the stress. If you do nothing, and let the frustration and fear build up inside you, it's unlikely that your situation will get better - addictions have a certain "momentum" to them (your description doesn't indicate an addiction, per se, but it definately is addictive behaviour) and require a push in the opposite direction to effect any change.
I hope that you can find the courage inside yourself to ask for help. It feels very scary now, but I don't know of anyone who was later sorry that they got help for a problem like this - more often than not it's the "waiting until I hit rock-bottom before I got help" that people regret.
Good luck,
Greg
Old 12-05-04, 09:24 PM
Jr Member

osustudent is on a distinguished road
I am sorry to hear about your situation, I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I am a 25 year old senior in college who has spent the last three years putting my life back together after stimulants and ADD ripped it apart.

Five years ago I developed a pretty serious problem with stimulants and other drugs. I failed out of school, hurt a lot of my friends and family, and made a pretty good mess of things. In the end it was talking to a psychologist at school and talking to people online that helped me get my act together. Not to take away from your situation at all, but there are a lot of people who have been through similar situations and are happy to help in any way they can.

For what its worth i would quit the adderall. I know you are thinking "no s***", but there are other drugs that may help rather than hurt. Wellbutrin helped me more than I though possible when quitting using stims, and two years later I added Ritalin and it changed my life. I could concentrate, talk to people, and it reduced my desire for other drugs. It stopped working as well as it had and I was switched to Adderall which has been a trying experience to say the least. Adderall seems to make me really ****ed off (among other side effects) but it also leaves me wanting more. It reminds of someone (I want to say george carlin but i could be way off) who was asked what cocaine feels like and he said "It makes you feel like you want some more coke". Thats how adderall is for me. Ritalin was totally different, WAY better and I am hoping to switch back to it this week.

Anyway, my advice would be to start making changes as soon as you can. The longer you wait the more potential damage there is to your life. No matter what though, things are never as bad as they seem. No matter who you ask for help, I think you will be suprised how much people are willing to help you. My family and friends were incredibly supportive and my life is pretty good right now.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-04, 09:32 PM
Jr Member

osustudent is on a distinguished road
I forgot to say that I think Greg is right about the panic attacks. I used to feel like no matter how deep of a breath I took, I just couldnt get enough air. I was still breathing normally, or at least I thought I was, but it felt like the air just wasnt getting through. It got so bad I thought I would pass out, but Wellbutrin and xanax pretty much put an end to it right away. I am happy to say it has been years since I have felt like that and I have no doubt drugs, and the lifestyle that goes with it, were the cause of my anxiety. I dont know if you need another potentially addictive drug like xanax right now, only you can decide that, but i would say dont be afraid to take them if you need to. I hate dotors who wont give you things like that to help you with another drug problem. I see it as "The patient is already abusing drugs so the doctor isnt going to do any more harm, and if they abuse the new one too cut them off." Having xanax to help with the anxiety and to calm me down when I REALLY wanted to give up and use again was a godsend.
Old 12-06-04, 02:40 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Another possibility is an antidepressant like zoloft which can help with anxiety without being addictive like xanax, and maybe switching to ritalin since adderall is more addictive and prone to make you want more. You mention fear of 'coming down' does that mean that you feel an obvious crash when the meds wear off? That can be a problem for some people & may or may not be different with ritalin vs adderall. Wellbutrin is another good suggestion for an alternative, Strattera works for some people too.

I agree you are getting panic attacks & it may be you want to drink to counteract that or it may be just getting drawn into an addictive type craving. Stimulants at higher doses plus alcohol make for a pretty powerful high, that's for sure.
Old 12-06-04, 10:37 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
i'm on adderall (20mgs) wellbutrin (300mgs) and now lexepro (5mgs)
b/c i have anxiety issues as it is...and i was getting worse when i started taking the adderall...so the lexepro has recently definitely taken the edge off...
i can't tolerate lexepro very well myself (overwhelming feeling of nausea, i always have nausea!) so i take a very very small dose at night. but it does help w/ deppression and anxiety..and it is not addictive.
i think in otherwords:
there are OTHER CHOICES for meds other than xanax for treatment of anxiety
i would have a frank discussion with your doc about how xanax is NOT working for you.

i do think its odd that your doc would of given you two drugs with potentially serious addiction exposure at the same time...

good luck.
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 12-07-04, 04:15 PM
Jr Member

savvygirl5000 is on a distinguished road
I have a Question. If your only suppose to be taking 15 mg of adderall twice a day then where is the other 15 mg coming from. Surely your doctor is not giving you a prescription for more meds than what is recommended?
Old 12-07-04, 05:59 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
i would imagine it has something to do with taking extra doses and then going without when you run out?
i do my adderall by mail order via my insurance. i get a three months supply every time i do that.
and thank goodness for me. i hate refilling once a month. sorry to get off track with that gripe.but it works for me.
i sincerely hope that everything works out...
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 12-07-04, 08:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

blueyemass1979 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_wcomboadhd
i would imagine it has something to do with taking extra doses and then going without when you run out?
i do my adderall by mail order via my insurance. i get a three months supply every time i do that.
and thank goodness for me. i hate refilling once a month. sorry to get off track with that gripe.but it works for me.
i sincerely hope that everything works out...
Do you live in the US? How can you get three months at a time? I didn't even know it was common to mail it. This obviously is of practical interest to a lot of us so could you explain how you do it I certainly would be interested. It would make it easier to travel for extended periods of time, certainly.