ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-26-19, 07:48 PM

Morgan_1397 is on a distinguished road
Struggling College Student Recently Diagnosed With ADHD

I was diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD about two months ago at the age of 22. In grade school I never noticed any significant problems in my ability to focus or stay on task, because my parents were always on my back about getting assignments done. Everything changed when I graduated high school, and began college in the Fall of 2015. My parents were no longer on my back about getting assignments completed or studying for tests, because they told me I was an adult, so I should be able to handle everything on my own. WRONG! As the weeks went by freshmen year, I wondered why it was so difficult to stay on task or to keep up with assignments. I kept telling myself that this was just part of adjusting to college, since it is a different environment than grade school. Sophomore year came, and I continued to struggle. Junior year came, and I was struggling to where I could not take it anymore. I went to see my doctor, and she initially thought depression was what causing all of these symptoms. I started on antidepressants, but after another year the medication did nothing in regards to my inability to focus or stay on task. Finally, a few months ago my doctor referred me to get tested for ADHD. Sure enough, my scores were off the charts. When I followed up with my doctor a few weeks later to discuss treatment, I began taking 10mg of Ritalin 3 times a day (a total of 30mg a day). A few weeks later (which was actually just the other day) I followed up with her, and since the IR Ritalin was not lasting long enough she prescribed me 27mg Concerta to take in the morning, and if needed I could take 10mg of Ritalin in the evening.

Even being on medication to help reduce my symptoms of ADHD, some days are still harder than others. My senior year of college has been extremely stressful, and with graduate school coming up in the fall I know that will be an even bigger challenge.

Did anyone else go through a similar situation when growing up and getting diagnosed as an adult?
Does anyone have any advice regarding how long it took you to find the proper treatment for your ADHD?
Is there any advice anyone can give about being a college student who struggles with ADHD?

Any advice helps and is very much appreciated!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morgan_1397 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-26-19), namazu (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19, 04:56 PM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road
Re: Struggling College Student Recently Diagnosed With ADHD

You've mentioned nothing about what the medication is like and how amazing it is to have times when you are feeling normal for the first time in your life.

Are you sure this med is working for you? There are others out there.

When I found what worked it was like black and white for me, the difference was remarkable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-27-19)
Old 02-28-19, 08:12 PM

Morgan_1397 is on a distinguished road

My bad! I tried to keep it as short as possible, because I really could have gone on and on about how the past few years have been. When I did follow up with my doctor last week, I explained to her how much of a positive difference the medication has made in my life. Unfortunately, the immediate release three times a day just wasn't lasting very long at all, that's when she changed my regimen up. Her and I are still in the process of trying to figure out the best regimen of medication, since I was just diagnosed within the past few months. So far, the Concerta 27mg is working great, I notice an even bigger difference in my ability to focus! The extended release aspect is definitely a huge plus with the super long days I have!
The Following User Says Thank You to Morgan_1397 For This Useful Post:
Alphawave (03-01-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-19, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,132 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Glad the medication is working for you.

Study buddies. We always did our homework together at the same time. Actually, we didn't do all our homework on our own. Each person would do one problem and then we'd all share our answers so we only had to actually do one problem each.

I'm not recommending you copy other people's homework like I did (well, if you are a desperate and can learn just by looking without actually doing yourself).

But having a set time with other people doing the same thing an feeling like a quitter if you don't work too since they are - if I didn't have that I would never have graduated. If they are friends you can even ask them to encourage you not to quit while they are sitting there with you are about to give up.

I don't know how easy it is for you to form study buddy groups now but maybe it's easier in grad school as I assume classes will be smaller.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-01-19), Morgan_1397 (03-03-19)