ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-18, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,751 Times in 14,141 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
So I guess I have to do this without psychiatric help

I saw my psychiatrist today and tried to tell him.how depressed Ive been but somehow that didn't work so well. He seems to think that if I can fix my lifestyle issues like doing exercise, sleeping more and eating better I'll be fine. ...which is probably true except that i haven't managed to do these things so far and I don't know how I will in the future. He said if it was important enough for me I'd do it. Anyway the conclusion was that I'll somehow try to get a handle on these things and he will see me in twelve months again. If I'm not any better by then he will review everything again to see if ADHD is really my problem.

Twelve months...

I'm not really sure what I was hoping for since I'm not keen on anti depressants but they didn't come up anyway. I don't think I explained myself very well. Somehow towards the end of the appointment he said that I was neither depressed nor had anxiety so I'm not sure what he understood from what I said. I did tell him at that point dirextly that I have been rather depressed but yeah..exercise, healthy eating and sleeping. I don't know. It felt like he just wanted me to leave. He kept saying I'll see you in twelve months again.

In a way maybe this is good considering that I didn't want medication anyway. Now I know I really need to get out of this on my own. Just how? How do I get myself to exercise, eat better and sleep more instead of browsing my phone.

I asked him again about psychotherapy and he said I could self refer. So I'll try that. If I remember.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (09-19-18), lisariver (09-26-18), Lunacie (09-17-18), midnightstar (09-17-18), namazu (09-17-18), peripatetic (09-17-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-17-18, 04:51 PM

Thanked 26,864 Times in 12,537 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So I guess I have to do this without psychiatric help

Someone who doesn't have depression is more likely to be able to make changes,
exercise more, eat better, sleep better.

Someone who does have depression will struggle to do anything for self-care.

I wonder why he didn't think you have either depression or anxiety?

Seeing the psychotherapist could be a good thing.
If s/he determines that you actually do have depression, would you be treated
on the spot or sent back to first psychiatrist?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-17-18), midnightstar (09-17-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-17-18, 04:54 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,749 Times in 14,043 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

s Fuzzy, I wish they'd give you the help you need
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-17-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-18, 06:07 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Someone who doesn't have depression is more likely to be able to make changes,
exercise more, eat better, sleep better.

Someone who does have depression will struggle to do anything for self-care.

I wonder why he didn't think you have either depression or anxiety?

Seeing the psychotherapist could be a good thing.
If s/he determines that you actually do have depression, would you be treated
on the spot or sent back to first psychiatrist?

I don't know why he thought that. I know I said I've been fairly miserable for the last few months, I'm not enjoying anything anymore, I've got this constant feeling of doom and gloom, im constantly exhausted inspite of sleeping more, I'm not motivated to do anything, I have withdrawn from everyone and don't speak to anyone anymore. When he said I wasn't depressed or anxious I explicitly did say that I have been quite depressed though I don't remember what he said to that.

I think if did the psychologist thought that I needed medication they'd send me back to the psychiatrist or maybe my GP. I'm really not sure. I should try for it but I don't know if I'll get a place at all. They too will probably think that I'm not severely ill enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-18-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-17-18, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
s Fuzzy, I wish they'd give you the help you need
Thanks. You know the funny thing is that I'm not sure what myself what help I need. I was hoping the psychiatrist would help me find out. Though maybe that's what he did and the help I really need is to better eat, exercise, sleep. And maybe that is just too basic to not be able to do it. He said I should speak to my peers to ask how they do it and I said that either I can't follow what they are doing or they say to just do it which I can't do either. I think he thought I was jist making excuses. Maybe I am.
midnightstar (09-18-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 01:21 AM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Is that all they got for heir patients in the UK ?

If you're on stimulants and have no wil power to exercise or eat nor to tell what you feel, hey flush you for 12 months ??

How to start a career as a psychiatrist there ?
Old 09-18-18, 03:49 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,986 Times in 7,935 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so upset over this WTF???

I hate getting that sort of attitude from professionals...it's something I deal with too and I know tons of other people here as well.
The whole attitude that we just need to get up and DO such and such and everything will be all better.
It just feeds the guilt we already feel. Like it's our own fault we're miserable because we're just not DOING the right things.
And they don't freaking get it...our damned "do" button is broken.

And it's so damned tough to convey...because they see we're capable. And there's nothing physically holding us back from doing most of it...so they just assume we should be able to handle it.
They just don't get it.
And then we end up feeling like **** because we fall short and don't live up to their expectations and assumptions and it just sucks.

/sigh we don't mean to be this way
They think we just need to pull ourselves up and do the right things...and damn it! We WANT to! We don't mean to do this **** to ourselves.
And they're professionals damn it! They're paid for this stuff. They're suppose to be trained in this...surely they'd be sympathetic or empathetic...surely they'd try to understand us :*(
Dang it man...it freaking sucks.
We're broken. We struggle...and it's VERY invaliding and deflating when we run into professionals like this that are very unsympathetic to us.

12 months.
What a joke.
I feel so angry for you.

I don't know Fuzzy...this **** is exhausting. Not so much physically...but mentally and emotionally.
Our struggles are real. Day in and day out. It's all so f'ing exhausting.

What a joke this ended up being.
I'm so sorry Fuzz-Fuzz.
It's so hard not being understood or taken seriously.

:*(

(((((((Fuzzy)))))))

What a mess.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-18-18), lisariver (09-26-18), Lunacie (09-18-18), midnightstar (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 04:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Did he say he would not see you again unless its been 12 months or can you ask for another appt? If that is what he meant than I look at that as neglect. What if you were in crisis? I personally would call up and ask for another appt or ask for a referral for therapy. I really believe it would help you especially if you dont want meds.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-18-18), Little Missy (09-18-18), midnightstar (09-18-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
I'm so upset over this WTF???

I hate getting that sort of attitude from professionals...it's something I deal with too and I know tons of other people here as well.
The whole attitude that we just need to get up and DO such and such and everything will be all better.
It just feeds the guilt we already feel. Like it's our own fault we're miserable because we're just not DOING the right things.
And they don't freaking get it...our damned "do" button is broken.

And it's so damned tough to convey...because they see we're capable. And there's nothing physically holding us back from doing most of it...so they just assume we should be able to handle it.
They just don't get it.
And then we end up feeling like **** because we fall short and don't live up to their expectations and assumptions and it just sucks.

/sigh we don't mean to be this way
They think we just need to pull ourselves up and do the right things...and damn it! We WANT to! We don't mean to do this **** to ourselves.
And they're professionals damn it! They're paid for this stuff. They're suppose to be trained in this...surely they'd be sympathetic or empathetic...surely they'd try to understand us :*(
Dang it man...it freaking sucks.
We're broken. We struggle...and it's VERY invaliding and deflating when we run into professionals like this that are very unsympathetic to us.

12 months.
What a joke.
I feel so angry for you.

I don't know Fuzzy...this **** is exhausting. Not so much physically...but mentally and emotionally.
Our struggles are real. Day in and day out. It's all so f'ing exhausting.

What a joke this ended up being.
I'm so sorry Fuzz-Fuzz.
It's so hard not being understood or taken seriously.

:*(

(((((((Fuzzy)))))))

What a mess.
Thanks psycho. I read your post several times just to feel validated.
Lunacie (09-18-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Did he say he would not see you again unless its been 12 months or can you ask for another appt? If that is what he meant than I look at that as neglect. What if you were in crisis? I personally would call up and ask for another appt or ask for a referral for therapy. I really believe it would help you especially if you dont want meds.
I asked him if I could have called to ask for appointment a few weeks ago when I was doing really badly and he said yes and it would have taken about a month to schedule the appointment. So I could ask for an earlier appointment. I just don't know what to tell him in that appointment. I mean he'd probably ask how's it going with exercises eating well and sleeping and then ask to see me in twelve months again.

(Oh also the last consultant told me once that if I was suicidal (after I asked him) I could call his secretary and she'd give me the number of the crisis hotline or something like that.i remember thinking then that i Just needed to make sure that I felt suicidal only between 9-5 on a weekday and that I'd have enough energy left for two phone calls. )

I really think that the problem is that I don't know what help I need. Ithink I was hoping that he'd let me talk and that we could explore different options together (meds, therapy, different dosing of stimulants) and also what exactly might be making me feel this way. Maybe this isn't the job of a psychiatrist though. I don't know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-18-18), namazu (09-18-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 02:39 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Thanks psycho. I read your post several times just to feel validated.
<3

I love my Fuzz-Fuzz

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe this isn't the job of a psychiatrist though. I don't know.
It's not.
I ran into this myself many years ago when I had to be placed in a mental health facility. I met with the psychiatrist...and like you, I was hoping he'd let me talk and all that...
But no. All he wanted was the facts...what symptoms I was experiencing. He didn't care one bit about my thoughts or feelings or experiences...
He was VERY cold...all he cared about is working on finding the meds that'd work or me.

I hated him...but a lot of people in town like him...I think it's because at the time I didn't know any better and expected him to be more of a talk therapist. I didn't know that psychiatrists were mainly just focused on meds and symptom relief.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 02:52 PM

Also...I don't mean to start a debate here...nor am I trying to put anyone or any country down here...

But it really seems to me...and I might be very wrong here...but it seems to me that over all, America is WAY better with providing those with mental health issues...with solid support, professionals, meds...etc.
The UK seems so freaking slow and difficult and from what I've read here on these forums over the years...it's difficult to find really caring and good professionals.
Where in the USA, they're EVERYWHERE...and there's TONS of systems and support in place.

It's just frustrating to see the struggles you guys across the little creek have to slog through to try and get the help you so freaking deserve.

/cry

...is this considered politics? I understand if this post needs to be deleted.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-18-18), Little Missy (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
It's not.
I ran into this myself many years ago when I had to be placed in a mental health facility. I met with the psychiatrist...and like you, I was hoping he'd let me talk and all that...
But no. All he wanted was the facts...what symptoms I was experiencing. He didn't care one bit about my thoughts or feelings or experiences...
He was VERY cold...all he cared about is working on finding the meds that'd work or me.

I hated him...but a lot of people in town like him...I think it's because at the time I didn't know any better and expected him to be more of a talk therapist. I didn't know that psychiatrists were mainly just focused on meds and symptom relief.
He didn't really let me talk about my symptoms much either. Or the meds or how I thought they affected me. I don't know. Maybe if I was clearer in my speech, more organised or more concise he would have been more willing to listen. I'm not sure what the time is that each patient is allocated. I know for gp' s it's ten minutes. I thought for psychiatrists it's more but I couldn't have been in there for longer than twenty minutes before he told me that time was up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 04:40 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He didn't really let me talk about my symptoms much either. Or the meds or how I thought they affected me. I don't know. Maybe if I was clearer in my speech, more organised or more concise he would have been more willing to listen. I'm not sure what the time is that each patient is allocated. I know for gp' s it's ten minutes. I thought for psychiatrists it's more but I couldn't have been in there for longer than twenty minutes before he told me that time was up.
i have a very different relationship with my psychiatrist than what it sounds like is even possible with yours. i'm sorry that your needs are being met. that's what it sounds like to me. i meet with my psychiatrist for a minimum thirty minutes at a time, but he will keep me up to an hour ...in june, when he hospitalised me he kept me for a full hour before deciding to commit me, for example. typically i would say i spend thirty to sixty minutes talking to him. i also do a pre-appointment questionnaire that asks about specific symptoms and how frequently they've occurred over the last two weeks.

i don't know. if i even breathe a word of having suicidal ideation or urges i get taken SUPER seriously. i remember at that appointment having this thought that, oh...****...he's going to commit me if i admit to it...i have to try and be deceptive now. and it was just exhausting such that he got to the point of asking if i had a plan and i was like, ****...i didn't want you to ask that question. i was 5150'ed immediately.

i have been seeing him for probably twelve to fifteen years, but i don't recall a time he wasn't thorough or ....he's always had a good "bedside manner".

i strongly encourage you to follow up on the therapy. maybe that's where you'll find inroads to getting some solid treatment. not all psychiatrists are just twenty minute pill filling sessions. but i can only go from my experience and my outpatient psychiatrists have tended to be fantastic. inpatient is another story...a more mixed bag, for sure.

what you describe seems like something that needs/demands addressing. if i told my psychiatrist that i had been suicidal he'd be all over that and i'm astonished that you were told you could call for a hotline number and not told to present yourself (PLEASE!) at the emergency room or other urgent care.

as for how to make those changes...do you run? we could plan to run x days per week for x amount of time per day. i'm pretty useless with other sporting activities, but i could always use an accountabilibuddy xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-18-18), psychopathetic (09-18-18)