ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-18, 01:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,503 Times in 3,098 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Drinking to pass the time

I never used to drink much at all. I had other addictions and the mere stench of alcohol made me want to vomit. But something has changed in me these last couple of months. I've been drinking more vodka each week than I would in a year previously. I'm getting hooked on that warm/numbness effect which helps the hours to pass by each day.

I don't know if ive developed a sudden dependency, or if i'm just going through some strange phase in my life.

Has anybody else ever been here? Did it pass? Should I be worried?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-30-18), peripatetic (05-30-18), psychopathetic (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 02:34 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,599 Times in 13,960 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drinking to pass the time

I've never been able to tolerate much alcohol without feeling ill so I'm not much help, Fraser, but I wanted you to know that you have been heard and are not just talking to an empty void
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (05-30-18), namazu (05-30-18), psychopathetic (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 02:54 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
I've never been able to tolerate much alcohol without feeling ill so I'm not much help, Fraser, but I wanted you to know that you have been heard and are not just talking to an empty void

Marry me Midsy

On a slightly more serious point, I think alcohol just makes things seem more interesting. Without it, everything is just kinda boring.... Time seems to move faster when i'm under the influence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (05-30-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-18, 02:57 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,975 Times in 7,932 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Wait.

What did Fraser say? I didn't hear him!

Okay...that was probably too mean, but I was only trying to joke and I couldn't help it!!

I can't be of much help either as I'm not a drinker...I can't stand the taste of it. I'll drink a mixed drink maybe once every 2 years.

But depending on the amount you're drinking right now...I think you're okay? I guess it depends on what you're talking about. Are you talking like 1 beer/mixed drink? Or are you talking about a few shots of vodka?
...But at the same time I think you do need to be careful...that I think it could very well eventually lead into addiction and become very difficult to stop.
But you know this already and certainly don't need to be lectured or anything.

I think it's a great sign that you're here looking to discuss it and to keep yourself in check.

I think you're okay for now though. Just keep yourself in check and don't let it go too far. You'll know when you're letting it get to be too much (you're very self aware...which is a huge strength not everyone has).

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Wait.

What did Fraser say? I didn't hear him!

Okay...that was probably too mean, but I was only trying to joke and I couldn't help it!!

I can't be of much help either as I'm not a drinker...I can't stand the taste of it. I'll drink a mixed drink maybe once every 2 years.

But depending on the amount you're drinking right now...I think you're okay? I guess it depends on what you're talking about. Are you talking like 1 beer/mixed drink? Or are you talking about a few shots of vodka?
...But at the same time I think you do need to be careful...that I think it could very well eventually lead into addiction and become very difficult to stop.
But you know this already and certainly don't need to be lectured or anything.

I think it's a great sign that you're here looking to discuss it and to keep yourself in check.

I think you're okay for now though. Just keep yourself in check and don't let it go too far. You'll know when you're letting it get to be too much (you're very self aware...which is a huge strength not everyone has).

About a litre bottle of vodka each day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (05-30-18), psychopathetic (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 03:05 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

This also makes me wonder how I'd be buzzed up...alone.
The only times I've ever drank are when I'm with people. And I'm already socially anxious, and getting buzzed or drunk didn't help matters lol. I'd also turn into a bit of an "I'm better then you!" a-hole when drunk where I'd constantly laugh and make fun of other people haha. Man I hate being that dude! xP

But I wonder if I'd feel relaxed and chill when not around other people. I fully plan on finding out this summer now lol.

If it ever becomes an issue in my life...I'm SO blaming Fraser for it!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Fraser_0762 (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Yikes That is a lot of booze dude

So not trying to lecture you, but that sounds like an amount that not only can lead to quick dependency, but also health issues.
I hope that if you're drinking this much, you can at least eat well, keep hydrated and do something physical each day.
Okay...this is TOTALLY turning into a lecture!

I know you're not much of a fan of yourself...but I'm a fan of you! I just don't want you to get sick .
I'm all for you drinking a bit here and there and catching a small buzz. But I'd hate for you to have to fight through your depression AND alcoholism at the same time. Or to have to fight through both those...AND health issues brought on from excessive drinking all at the same time .

I'd strongly advise you to try cutting way back while you still can.

Gah! I'm so in no position to be be lecturing you though!

I just care!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Fraser_0762 (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 03:24 PM

Minkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura aboutMinkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Drinking to pass the time

The time will pass anyway. I have been where you may be headed. If you’ve just begun to make drinking a regular part of your day to pass the time and you are capable of stopping on your own I suggest you put forth honest effort in cutting back or stopping all together. My drinking started out much like this- just to pass time and for a while it did indeed seem like time passed quickly or at least the time that was passing was much more interesting. This continued for quite sometime and tolerance did build turning my daily rum and coke into two then three. It defiantly numbed anything that had gone awry during the day and if nothing eventful happened it was treated like a celebration to that. This (over a 3 year span) became my only concern and my only comfort, but unbeknownst to me it was tearing apart my relationships, my health, and myself as a person. I took it too far last year and found myself dealing with the repercussions of a dui. I quit cold turkey after that incident last June and am happy to say i will have been 1year completely sober on 6/30. In the past year not drinking has opened my eyes to the damage I was causing not just me, but to anyone whom I knew. I’ve had to retrain my mind and thoughts to see how invaluable each passing moment is. Relearn what hobbies I took interest in before the drinking and just be comfortable in my own skin even if that meant I was bored. Now, I don’t know Your situation or if you feel a loss of control over the drink, but if you are here asking the question I have to assume it’s because you’re concerned it’s starting to take over. I think one must be ready to stop any addiction/dependency when that person is ready and no one can change their mind unless they are committed 100% so this is really a question you need to ask yourself honestly. It can get out of hand very quickly and you might think “nah, that will never happen to me!” But I thought the same thing. It can and it will if you give it power. Some folks can have just one or two drinks a week and stop, but personally I knew I could never touch alcohol again, so maybe think about switching up your frequency even if that means boredom for a few days. I don’t ever wish my past situation on anyone, but it taught me exactly what I needed to learn. I wish you all the best and if you feel like you need to talk or some resources to help you with alcohol let me know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minkyboodle86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-18, 03:39 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,034 Times in 15,320 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone here knows my story of alcoholism. I never intended to be an alcoholic and I didnt spend years in the thick of it until one day passing the time and having a good time went from want-to need. I told myself I could drink if I damn well wanted to. I told myself that it was normal, that I could control it, and stop anytime. The easiest way to figure out if you have an alcohol problem is to try controlled drinking. Tell yourself you wont have any on a certain day, or no more than 1 and then see if you can stick to it. See how much you think about alcohol, planning when you can have it or bargaining with yourself about why you should just give in and have a little. If your focus is on the alcohol its an issue. The obsession of the mind is a lot stronger with alcohol, even more so than the actual drinking. And everyone goes from being that funny, talkative person who has a good time to an angry beligerant mean drunk at some point.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-18, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkyboodle86 View Post
The time will pass anyway. I have been where you may be headed. If you’ve just begun to make drinking a regular part of your day to pass the time and you are capable of stopping on your own I suggest you put forth honest effort in cutting back or stopping all together. My drinking started out much like this- just to pass time and for a while it did indeed seem like time passed quickly or at least the time that was passing was much more interesting. This continued for quite sometime and tolerance did build turning my daily rum and coke into two then three. It defiantly numbed anything that had gone awry during the day and if nothing eventful happened it was treated like a celebration to that. This (over a 3 year span) became my only concern and my only comfort, but unbeknownst to me it was tearing apart my relationships, my health, and myself as a person. I took it too far last year and found myself dealing with the repercussions of a dui. I quit cold turkey after that incident last June and am happy to say i will have been 1year completely sober on 6/30. In the past year not drinking has opened my eyes to the damage I was causing not just me, but to anyone whom I knew. I’ve had to retrain my mind and thoughts to see how invaluable each passing moment is. Relearn what hobbies I took interest in before the drinking and just be comfortable in my own skin even if that meant I was bored. Now, I don’t know Your situation or if you feel a loss of control over the drink, but if you are here asking the question I have to assume it’s because you’re concerned it’s starting to take over. I think one must be ready to stop any addiction/dependency when that person is ready and no one can change their mind unless they are committed 100% so this is really a question you need to ask yourself honestly. It can get out of hand very quickly and you might think “nah, that will never happen to me!” But I thought the same thing. It can and it will if you give it power. Some folks can have just one or two drinks a week and stop, but personally I knew I could never touch alcohol again, so maybe think about switching up your frequency even if that means boredom for a few days. I don’t ever wish my past situation on anyone, but it taught me exactly what I needed to learn. I wish you all the best and if you feel like you need to talk or some resources to help you with alcohol let me know.

Thanks, that's some really sound advice. However, i've never felt comfortable in my own skin. I wish I could rip my face off and get a new one. I also don't have any interests to return to. Nothing seems to hold my interest, except when i'm drunk. Drink makes me feel emotionally involved, which is the only way I can stay connected with whatever i'm trying to do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-30-18), peripatetic (05-30-18), psychopathetic (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Everyone here knows my story of alcoholism. I never intended to be an alcoholic and I didnt spend years in the thick of it until one day passing the time and having a good time went from want-to need. I told myself I could drink if I damn well wanted to. I told myself that it was normal, that I could control it, and stop anytime. The easiest way to figure out if you have an alcohol problem is to try controlled drinking. Tell yourself you wont have any on a certain day, or no more than 1 and then see if you can stick to it. See how much you think about alcohol, planning when you can have it or bargaining with yourself about why you should just give in and have a little. If your focus is on the alcohol its an issue. The obsession of the mind is a lot stronger with alcohol, even more so than the actual drinking. And everyone goes from being that funny, talkative person who has a good time to an angry beligerant mean drunk at some point.

I probably could force myself to stop. But it would only be to return to the life I knew before, which is a life I don't want to be a part of again. Life is just so boring without it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (05-30-18), psychopathetic (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 04:04 PM

Minkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura aboutMinkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks, that's some really sound advice. However, i've never felt comfortable in my own skin. I wish I could rip my face off and get a new one. I also don't have any interests to return to. Nothing seems to hold my interest, except when i'm drunk. Drink makes me feel emotionally involved, which is the only way I can stay connected with whatever i'm trying to do.
I’ve never felt comfortable in my own skin either, I still don’t even now. I just accept I can’t be anyone else, but I can build on the person I am. The hobbies/interests thing has always been difficult for me as well, I have so many interests, but I quickly lose interest in things or feel the need to move on to the next idea before I’ve finished the last one- which is more part of my adhd and the struggle with that- this being another thing I felt drinking controlled- those racing thoughts, but it didn’t since I still had them— only I had less time to act on them before I was too drunk. I really feel your struggle. I get the emotional connection that’s only there when you’re drinking. I remember it so clearly and yet am at a loss for words in explaining why I can feel it still, but no longer accept it as true. Maybe it’s because the alcohol changes so much in the brain, each drink reinforcing the behavior associated in the “reward” of the drink itself... it is a very sneaky thing alcoholism. It will tell you all these things don’t exist without having a drink, all the comfort and connection will disappear if you stop, but its a ******* liar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minkyboodle86 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (05-30-18), namazu (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 04:09 PM

Quote:
i've never felt comfortable in my own skin. I wish I could rip my face off and get a new one. I also don't have any interests to return to. Nothing seems to hold my interest, except when i'm drunk. Drink makes me feel emotionally involved, which is the only way I can stay connected with whatever i'm trying to do.

(((((((Fraser)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Fraser_0762 (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 05:37 PM

Thanked 34,232 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
I probably could force myself to stop. But it would only be to return to the life I knew before, which is a life I don't want to be a part of again. Life is just so boring without it.
i'm worried. it sounds to me (who has not dealt with addiction, so take it for what it is...) like you're self medicating some serious depression/apathy.

i want to write more because i want there to be useful things coming out of me toward you but i just don't know what would help. i think there has to be an alternative to drinking, though. and i get that life is boring sometimes. though sometimes i wish it would all be boring instead of chaotic.

you are cared about. i care about you. and this worries me that you could end up with a serious problem.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-30-18), namazu (05-30-18), psychopathetic (05-30-18), stef (05-31-18), TygerSan (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 11:52 PM

Thanked 14,882 Times in 6,654 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Discomfort with self and boring life where nothing is of interest sober, and

Emotional involvement and finding things of interest, with faster passing of time when intoxicated...

To me suggests the presence of a medically-treatable anxiety disorder.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (05-31-18), stef (05-31-18)