ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-18, 04:46 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold
Cool Ok, here goes.

As of getting off work today I have decided to quit smoking. Well, vaping a very low nicotine e-juice. Something that was practically tasteless, nicotine deficient, with all the qualities of slightly polluted air. First test: not smoking after yoga today. If anyone wants to be inspirational now is the time.

I feel if other people know it will make me feel worse if I don't quit. So you guys as my witness I'm giving it a go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-30-18), namazu (05-29-18), tudorose (05-29-18)
Old 05-29-18, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Ok, here goes.

One thing I never understood was whether people are addicted merely to nicotine, or to the specific route of administration of nicotine, or to some other psychoactive ingredient in tobacco. Because if they are addicted merely to nicotine, then why not just use something like nicotine gum or patches, which are obviously less unhealthy than inhaling burnt plant matter?

Anyway, that's just my side ramble. Best of luck with your plans!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-29-18)
Old 05-29-18, 07:50 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
One thing I never understood was whether people are addicted merely to nicotine, or to the specific route of administration of nicotine, or to some other psychoactive ingredient in tobacco. Because if they are addicted merely to nicotine, then why not just use something like nicotine gum or patches, which are obviously less unhealthy than inhaling burnt plant matter?

Anyway, that's just my side ramble. Best of luck with your plans!
Okay, I have to say the gum is DISGUSTING and the patches rip little hairs off your skin and maybe even a layer of skin. I think i'm allergic to the adhesive. Skin turns all red and gross. And you get addicted to the habit a LOT. It's then end to lifes sentences. Finish dinner? Have a smoke. Driving to work? Have a smoke. Have coffee break? Have a smoke. Work time over? Have a smoke. You feel like something is... missing after doing it for so long. Aside from the nicotine addiction. I guess i'll just take a walk on my breaks now.

I used to actually smoke. Then I quit. Then I used snus (the good kind shipped from Sweden) and then I quit that. Than like 3 years later I started smoking again I have no idea why. I don't know what thought process let that happen. 3rd time's a charm?

Anyway, now I vape(d) which is about as dangerous as flavored water vapor. But its just cheaper to quit. It is better than smoking, f- the man. I was told my vape smells like cookies...
aeon (05-30-18), CharlesH (05-29-18), Impromptu_DTour (05-30-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-18, 08:23 PM
Contributor

Bedtime night 1, no smoke since 3pm.
aeon (05-30-18), CharlesH (05-29-18), namazu (05-29-18)
Old 05-29-18, 09:06 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,345 Times in 10,768 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
Bedtime night 1, no smoke since 3pm.
Congrats! May this be the start of cleaner lungs and more spending money for you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-29-18)
Old 05-29-18, 10:20 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I am a 25+ year mostly former smoker, current vape user, and I've used all the quit aids at some point in my life. I can safely say the addiction is multi-faceted, physically with the nicotine and psychological as far as the hand to mouth motions and the physical act of exhaling smoke. It all plays a part in the overall addiction, which is why it's so difficult to quit.

That being said, patches make my dreams reeeeeeeeeally vivid, and it's amazing!
aeon (05-30-18), Impromptu_DTour (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-30-18)
Old 05-29-18, 10:58 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i smoke when i'm unwell. i chain smoke when i'm unwell, actually. for me it was always about holding the cigarette as much as the smoke. i haven't had many cigarettes since e was born.

best wishes for reaching your goal!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-30-18), Impromptu_DTour (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 05:39 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
That being said, patches make my dreams reeeeeeeeeally vivid, and it's amazing!
Holy monkey butt, do they. (Take my excessive cursing away! I'll just switch it up a bit.) For the max dose pads I had to take them off at night because the dreams would wake me up. Those were a trip though.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 06:38 AM
Contributor

I've passed my first smoke break. Yarr, mateys, it be getting harder. Emergency vending machine gum acquired.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-30-18), CharlesH (05-30-18), Funky1 (05-30-18), namazu (05-30-18)
Old 05-31-18, 04:37 PM
Contributor

Over 48 hours in and going strong!
Old 05-31-18, 04:44 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Keep it up, we're all pulling for you! ������
LyrinMeow (05-31-18)