ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-03-12, 02:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

quark is on a distinguished road
Re: Have you been in a career/job long term, that you like to share?

Research scientist. Including grad school, 14 years in, more or less vaguely in the same field the whole time. Trying to change fields now, need to tackle something new and exciting. I don't think I can really do anything else, except maybe teaching, which I am fearful of due to the amounts of organization required, although teaching really is a fantastic experience.
Old 05-03-12, 02:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,683 Times in 14,113 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

The longest that I've held a proper job was for about a year and I seem to switch careers/fields with every new job.
Old 05-03-12, 02:51 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

my longest is 2.5 years and I think that I hit that at two jobs.... different times of my life tho.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-12, 07:43 PM

Thanked 11,418 Times in 6,057 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

My longest is this job w the town started may 2001 and still havethe job w my town.Can I Pleaseees haz some more government cheese?! yeah make it cheddar
IM lucky ive seen people come n go,retire get laid off.last month the 1 foreman got popped for being dirty for the 2nd time he made probably close to 125 grand a year.I feel bad for his wife and kids.Years ago I was picking up garbage in the parks,poker broke,I got infuriated,tossed it and it hit the truck windshield and cracked the crap outta it.The stupid kid summer worker didnt know how to cover it up and say a rock hit it,threw me right under the bus I almost got canned for that but I said a rock hit it,I dont know what the hell he was talking about,Since he couldnt prove it it was more like the boss just yelled Im told and never did anything really.
Old 05-03-12, 11:14 PM

willawilla is on a distinguished road

I worked for 10 years as a secretary.
While it wasnt very motivating, it was paying enough for me to afford a condo.

I left on december 2010, completely unmotivated, sad, depressed. My new boss (they changed our boss about 5 times) she didnt like me, neither she could understand what was ADD.

I left to become a full time makeup artist, which I still am today.
It's always been a passion, and now I feel complete!

Got through a slight depression, but now I'm ok.

It's hard to keep a job you don't like...
Old 05-04-12, 12:57 PM

hardiesl will become famous soon enough

I worked in law enforcement for 5 years and loved every minute of it! It was with the feds and couldn't have been happier...then I was in a car accident and had alot of health issues so they put me behind a desk and I literally witherred inside! I have to have variances(sp?) in my job to keep me stimulated and patroling did that for me! You wake up, go to work and never knew what was gonna happen. It was very exciting!
Old 05-17-12, 07:45 AM

Bungison has a spectacular aura aboutBungison has a spectacular aura about

im nearly on two years! longest ive kept a job in my life! Won't be leaving anytime soon either, I get treated well, and my supervisors see my strengths, and encourage me. Sometime I get ****** around, but hey, I guess that's like any other job.

Edit: That isn't to say I have a constant itch to do something else. I've conveniently chose a job where I had to sign a 6 years contract, and I go to jail if I don't honour it.
Old 05-28-12, 09:16 AM

bcool123 is on a distinguished road

I have been a high school teacher in a large urban high school for 28 years. Teaching high school --where a new period begins every 50 minutes or so has been great! There is constant activity and movement and work . Even though lessons take arduous planning and I have to be totally focused in order to be great at my job, the diversions, other responsibilities and functions aid in addressing my hyper-ness. In addition, I have been the school's union rep for almost 2 decades, which provides me with other functions, committees and activities. Sometimes extraneous noise bugs me (and there is always noise in a high school with more than 4000 kids), but I have learned to refocus quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcool123 For This Useful Post:
Bungison (05-28-12)
Old 05-28-12, 11:47 AM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a lawyer for 19 years and I'm never bored. There are aspects of the work that are less fun, but I plow through them because I like the fun parts so much.

I LOVE competition (in work; I don't care for it so much in other aspects of my life), and what keeps me motivated is winning.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 05-28-12, 12:52 PM

Thanked 11,418 Times in 6,057 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

that sounds like a charlie sheen line there.
Old 05-28-12, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ganjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant future

I'm an academic: teaching and research are my main occupation. I really do like the job a lot most of the time. Actually I struggle with the fact that I cannot put more hours into the job. I tend to be a workaholic that way.

But I do not recommend academia as a realistic option for most people. The probability landing a job is very remote in most fields. And of course, you cannot even apply for the job until you've finished 5-10 years of grad school. Of course, the prospects are better in some fields than others.

The mind is a monkey.
- another unknown zen master -

Old 05-31-12, 06:09 PM

deeinsun is on a distinguished road

Running swimming pool / jacuzzi shop for 7 years!! I have made countless errors & trying new ways to improve all the time, why am I still here well its a business with my boyfriend & can't seem to get rid of either joking aside maybe a good thing...
Old 05-07-19, 10:26 PM

boxer4ever will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
I'm a behavioral therapist for autistic kiddos, I've been working with autistic kids and teens for 7 years now.

Every day is different. Their attention span is about as long as mine! I feel like my ADHD helps me to connect with them, understand them, and communicate better. I have a LOT of energy, and this job requires a ton! I'm never bored!
I donít see how thatís possible, Iím 25 years old and have ADD and Iím still doing training with the therapist and find it hard to connect with the kids. The 5 year olds that can speak I love them but the non verbal sensory ones especially the jumpers, freak me out I worked with one today and had to help get child off therapist, makes me reconsider my job. I still rather not do occupational safety which is enforcing rules and lots of administrative stuff.
Old 05-21-19, 07:50 AM
Contributor

Goofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to all

Chef but looking forward to retirement, Ive been on my last job 16 years. Love it because I'm able to use my creativity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goofycook For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-21-19)