ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 09-19-18, 10:30 AM
Jr Member

kasey_ca is a jewel in the roughkasey_ca is a jewel in the roughkasey_ca is a jewel in the rough
Which of these symptoms will meds help?

Hi all... my 9 year old daughter is in the final stages of receiving a diagnosis of ADHD-PI. She has finished a psychoeducational assessment, and it has been implied that this will be the diagnosis, although we have not received official results.

We plan on combining drug and non-drug treatments. But out of curiosity... does medication help with symptoms like the following?

1. When you ask my daughter a question, she literally immediately answers. Usually with something that doesn't make sense. Eg: Did your teacher come to school today, or was she sick again? Her answer: What teacher? She only has one teacher.

2. My daughter seems like she has issues with her memory. Some days she just cannot remember what she did at recess. Or maybe it seems like it is just too much work to think that far back. In fact, anything that requires any amount of thought is often too much to ask of her.

3. Conversation: She is almost impossible to have a conversation with, as she changes the subject so many times to something so random, that even I often forget what it was we were talking about!

4. Mental math: This is a big part of our school curriculum. She does excellent on problems you can work out on paper (though she very, very often makes careless mistakes, at least I do know for a fact that she understands what she is doing.) If you ask her to work something out in her head, and if that something requires more than one step, she will forget the answer to step one immediately, after moving on to step two.

5. Sports: My daughter says she loves sports. Her favourite thing to do. Yet, she pays no attention during instruction during practices and games. She regularly is not aware which way the play is going, and gives very minimal effort.

These are just a few random thoughts... We are anxious to get started on helping her. To be clear - We are not looking for/expecting a miracle. We plan on working with our psychologist to come up with different strategies to help our girl. Just curious.

Thanks in advance!
The Following User Says Thank You to kasey_ca For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (10-03-18)
Old 09-19-18, 12:08 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of
Re: Which of these symptoms will meds help?

Kasey, it sounds like she has brain fog like my son. I can say a resounding YES, the meds help. If he has been off them for about a week he reverts back to this brain fog where it's like talking to a drunk person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
kasey_ca (09-20-18)
Old 09-19-18, 01:12 PM
Jr Member

kasey_ca is a jewel in the roughkasey_ca is a jewel in the roughkasey_ca is a jewel in the rough

Yes! It’s totally like she’s drunk! Can you describe what your little drunk is like off meds?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-18, 05:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,043 Times in 15,324 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of symptoms that meds will help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey_ca View Post
1. When you ask my daughter a question, she literally immediately answers. Usually with something that doesn't make sense. Eg: Did your teacher come to school today, or was she sick again? Her answer: What teacher? She only has one teacher.
Quote:
2. My daughter seems like she has issues with her memory. Some days she just cannot remember what she did at recess. Or maybe it seems like it is just too much work to think that far back. In fact, anything that requires any amount of thought is often too much to ask of her.
Its not so much a memory thing, but more of a priority thing. To her, it may not be a priority to remember things about her teacher- to her as long as things flow normally (the teacher is present) she doesnt comprehend that anything is amiss.

Quote:
3. Conversation: She is almost impossible to have a conversation with, as she changes the subject so many times to something so random, that even I often forget what it was we were talking about!
This is part of the impulsive issues with adhd. Its not like she wants to jump around in conversation but she cant help it. To her everything seems equally important and getting that out from her brain to her mouth becomes the priority. She doesnt mean to jump around, it just happens.

Quote:
4. Mental math: This is a big part of our school curriculum. She does excellent on problems you can work out on paper (though she very, very often makes careless mistakes, at least I do know for a fact that she understands what she is doing.) If you ask her to work something out in her head, and if that something requires more than one step, she will forget the answer to step one immediately, after moving on to step two.
The only way I learned to do mental math well was when I worked at a deli and had to make change in my head. Maybe having her shop with you and do the same would help?

Quote:
5. Sports: My daughter says she loves sports. Her favourite thing to do. Yet, she pays no attention during instruction during practices and games. She regularly is not aware which way the play is going, and gives very minimal effort.
Sports can be fun when its active but at this age very often there is waiting for the ball or play to happen which leads to being bored.
Meds can help with all of this. None of it has a magic cure but it can really help.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
kasey_ca (09-20-18)
Old 09-21-18, 07:18 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey_ca View Post
Yes! It’s totally like she’s drunk! Can you describe what your little drunk is like off meds?
Off meds...well he wasn't diagnosed until the end of 8th grade so we had a lot of time off meds, LOL!. Off the top of my head:

1. He didn't know when tests were, he got the study guide in class but just assumed it wasn't the next day = failing grade

2. Didn't hear teacher give homework

3. Swore on his life "She never went over any of that stuff in class that was on the test"

4. Didn't know the months of the year, or what order they were in to be more precise.

5. I asked him to go get me the scissors from the kitchen. 10 minutes later I walked by the kitchen and he's standing there with no idea why he's there.

6. I have the urge often to wave my hand in front of his face to see if anyone is really in there because I feel like I'm talking to a chair.

7. I have to repeat things 3 different ways and times and have him repeat it back if it has any hope of being done.

8. He has forgotten his glove, bat, batting gloves, ENTIRE BAG, and clothes at the baseball fields. If something was left in the dugout coaches ask him first if it's his.

9. He preheats the oven and then leaves the fish sticks on the counter for over an hour, they never make it into the oven.

10. I can't tell you how many times I've opened the microwave to a FULL bag of popcorn in there. He just forgets.
Old 09-21-18, 12:10 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Off meds...well he wasn't diagnosed until the end of 8th grade so we had a lot of time off meds, LOL!. Off the top of my head:

1. He didn't know when tests were, he got the study guide in class but just assumed it wasn't the next day = failing grade

2. Didn't hear teacher give homework

3. Swore on his life "She never went over any of that stuff in class that was on the test"

4. Didn't know the months of the year, or what order they were in to be more precise.

5. I asked him to go get me the scissors from the kitchen. 10 minutes later I walked by the kitchen and he's standing there with no idea why he's there.

6. I have the urge often to wave my hand in front of his face to see if anyone is really in there because I feel like I'm talking to a chair.

7. I have to repeat things 3 different ways and times and have him repeat it back if it has any hope of being done.

8. He has forgotten his glove, bat, batting gloves, ENTIRE BAG, and clothes at the baseball fields. If something was left in the dugout coaches ask him first if it's his.

9. He preheats the oven and then leaves the fish sticks on the counter for over an hour, they never make it into the oven.

10. I can't tell you how many times I've opened the microwave to a FULL bag of popcorn in there. He just forgets.
Well this sounds just exactly like my daughter. She plays hockey and has gone out on the ice without one of her elbow pads.

She has left her book bag at school (and not just once)

She will ask me for a bowl of cheesies 5 times in a row, and each time I answer yes, but she keeps asking. Finally pours herself a bowl of cheesies and walks away. I eat the cheesies after she is alseep. Haha

I'm so hopeful for some improvement... because these things make me crazy (especially when it comes to school)
Old 09-21-18, 12:58 PM
Forum Guru

kasey, the meds didn't make my kid a genius, but I didn't feel like I was talking to a chair anymore....if anything the meds allowed him to become more of a teenager because he understood more of what was going on around him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
kasey_ca (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 06:46 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

I can't speak to all the situations you describe, but when it comes to blurting out answers, or frequently changing the subject in the middle of conversations, medications definitely can help.

I also tended to annoy people by blurting something out in response to their questions or to something they're saying, often before they've even finished speaking. In many cases, they weren't asking what I thought they were asking or saying what I thought they were saying, because I responded too soon before they were finished.

And my tendency to go off on tangents or change the subject completely in the middle of a conversation was also a problem for me. People often felt like I wasn't interested in what they had to say.

But being on a stimulant (Vyvanse in my case) has made a big difference. As one person I came across online expressed it, the medication provides "a space between thought and action". In other words, I now often find that I have a second to think before I speak, a second that didn't seem to be there before I started my medication.

So, in that second, I have time to consider that maybe I should wait until some other time to bring up this other thing that just crossed my mind or that maybe the other person might be annoyed if I change the topic. And in that second, I might have time for the thought to cross my mind that maybe I should wait until the other person stops speaking before I respond. In any event, I find that I'm holding my tongue now much more often than I used to.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
kasey_ca (09-22-18)
Old 10-03-18, 11:02 AM

Vandeluca will become famous soon enough

Hi thanks for the feedback here. This question and the answers helped me a lot as well.

We go to the Ped tomorrow for the medication talk/journey. While my child does not have the blurting out in a classroom type of issue, I feel that she is not letting the speaker 'talk' or finish--meaning either she stops listening to the full conversation and then asks for a repeat, or answers incorrectly (not what asked); or she will imply interjects something negative or unnecessary which derails the conversation or makes her not even stay on the point of the whole point of the topic to begin with. This is turn, no surprise, turns into social misunderstandings and snafus. Her reasoning is tough and she is headstrong on everything. Also the executive function piece--well that is not even happening right now. I will be asking the doctor if puberty makes all of these ADHD issues magnified- because I swear that is happening here. The ADHD was livable with before..lol..

I had to spend at least 2 days rehashing because she was 'replaying the tape", as to why it is not normal/acceptable to complain (to the person )who invited a small group of 6 girls to her house, but not my daughter and her small group of friends. Her focus was that person X was invited (that my daughter knows or likes) but not her (or her friends). Mind you school just started 4 weeks ago..new school. There was no winning this argument with her. So my daughter decided to be the spokesperson to the host, as well as the group who attended, to ask why they were not invited ;/
And, I am not sure how mannerly she was in doing so. No amount of reasoning: she only wanted to invite 6 people, she didn't want to invite your group, maybe another time, etc...nothing worked. I am hoping the meds put a pause on this type of reasoning and stops her from making these kind of mistakes. I am mentally drained from every scenario she brings to me and the refusal to listen to any reason.

I have to admit I am worried about starting the right med, first time around. I know that is a normal worry and a bit of a joke request (who gets it right the first time around---- but I feel spent already. She has another issue (epilepsy) and the medication merry go round for that was a nightmare years back and though really stable, sometimes med tweaks happen. But it seems like yesterday. I feel I don't have the energy for any another medication very go round right now. Sorry for the rant, but I am looking forward to tomorrow.

Last edited by Vandeluca; 10-03-18 at 11:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Vandeluca For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (10-03-18)
Old 10-03-18, 02:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
If he has been off them for about a week he reverts back to this brain fog where it's like talking to a drunk person.
I'm just curious - are you talking a stimulant medication? Because if so, it'd only take a few hours (rather than a week) for him to revert back to his brain fog.